PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
It doesn't matter to me who first discovered how best to pack a pipe. Might've been a guy living in a cave in the Outer Hebrides in 1643 for all I know. However, I'm glad Frank from the NY club took the time to describe it in detail with photos and text and I'm glad mordy18 brought it to my attention with his post. It's led to a step up for me in consistent packing and enjoyable bowls and I appreciate the gentlemen who shared it in order to help a newbie like me save time, tobacco and lighter fluid. I find it's simple and quick to do, and reliable. Works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berg and mordy18

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The Frank Method works. I can get an assured smoke with no relighting for the most part. I can load a pipe in less than 10 seconds using an abbreviated method of his overall recommendations. Drop, pinch, hold, roll.
Yup. It only looks "convoluted" in those articles and videos because they're going through the (slow) motions of teaching people how. Those who use it pack their pipe in an eyeblink.

Reactions: telescopes

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Yup. It only looks "convoluted" in those articles and videos because they're going through the (slow) motions of teaching people how. Those who use it pack their pipe in an eyeblink.
olkofri, thanks. That's exactly what I found. The slide show breaks the process down into several small steps for the sake of clarity for learners, but as telescopes pointed out, it's dead simple: drop, pinch, hold, roll. And it's quick too. Works like a charm for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mordy18

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The "how do I pack my pipe method" has been discussed ad nauseum including a sticky thread somewhere. But I am posting this in the basics and beginners section because after two years of smoking a pipe and trying every method from stuff and puff, to three pinch, to the scoop from the jar, to the spiral palm swirl method,, I have settled on the Frank method - it works.

I had used it - sort of and without attention to the details- periodically with only periodic success. I recently read the article on the method on the NY Pipe club site and began following the directions exactly (other than the torch lighter). It works -- consistently and with great results. If done correctly, it creates a firm plug of tobacco at the top of the bowl with looser tobacco at the bottom, so that as the ember burns down, airflow is maintained and I get a consistent smoke that rarely goes out. I find the bowl doesn't heat up as much, and tamping and relights are kept to a minimum, and the tobacco burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl, This has been true across different pipes and blends, although it works best with ribbon cuts.

The most important part is creating the plug with a large volume of tobacco over the top of the bowl which is gently nudged and pushed inwards but not down into the bowl.

Anyway, wanted to share in the beginner's section - I highly recommend new smokers try it,
I agree - the Frank Method offered me my first well-packed bowls when I took up the pipe last April. Very quickly, however, without trying, I've assumed the 3-layer technique and use it exclusively. It's so much easier - I can take my time with it and practice my technique with different cuts, or I can slam it full in 30 seconds if I'm in a hurry.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
What I have found when I Frank load the pipe, the drawl will be easygoing in a very consistent way. Not that other methods don't deliver a good drawer, it is just that the frank method draws easy without fail. The ash burn is also more consistent and burns finer. I think the resistance to the method is it comes across as being too ritualistic and something that might be done by the International Order of Odd Fellows.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mordy18
Mar 1, 2014
I agree - the Frank Method offered me my first well-packed bowls when I took up the pipe last April. Very quickly, however, without trying, I've assumed the 3-layer technique and use it exclusively. It's so much easier - I can take my time with it and practice my technique with different cuts, or I can slam it full in 30 seconds if I'm in a hurry.
If doesn't take 30 seconds to get an Air Pocket pack (final form of the Frank Method), it's effectively only one step. The only thing faster is gravity filling from a tin of cube cut.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I've tried the last two days the Frank method instead of the three pack. It is better, it does need relights but still in my opinion a much better experience than the three pack. My only trouble is I think I'm overpacking it.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Yes, surely that needs some adjustments but I'm really happy with the results.
I find it does work best with a really big plug of tobacco placed on top after the gravity fill. Trick is to push and roll inward and not downward. Not all of the tobacco will wind up in the bowl. As someone said you are basically creating an air pocket with some very lose tobacco in the bottom half of the bowl and a nice flat plug of tobacco on top. As it burns down it meets the lose tobacco on the bottom so little tamping and few if any relights are requires. Personally i find it harder to replicate with three pinch with consistency.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What I have found when I Frank load the pipe, the drawl will be easygoing in a very consistent way. Not that other methods don't deliver a good drawer, it is just that the frank method draws easy without fail. The ash burn is also more consistent and burns finer. I think the resistance to the method is it comes across as being too ritualistic and something that might be done by the International Order of Odd Fellows.
I find it consistent and can get a better pack with other methods but what is awesome about frank is I can explain it to a newb and have them go away with an acceptable pack but the three step produces better results when you get it down. And it can take a while to get the three step down.

Reactions: telescopes

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
The "how do I pack my pipe method" has been discussed ad nauseum including a sticky thread somewhere. But I am posting this in the basics and beginners section because after two years of smoking a pipe and trying every method from stuff and puff, to three pinch, to the scoop from the jar, to the spiral palm swirl method,, I have settled on the Frank method - it works.

I had used it - sort of and without attention to the details- periodically with only periodic success. I recently read the article on the method on the NY Pipe club site and began following the directions exactly (other than the torch lighter). It works -- consistently and with great results. If done correctly, it creates a firm plug of tobacco at the top of the bowl with looser tobacco at the bottom, so that as the ember burns down, airflow is maintained and I get a consistent smoke that rarely goes out. I find the bowl doesn't heat up as much, and tamping and relights are kept to a minimum, and the tobacco burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl, This has been true across different pipes and blends, although it works best with ribbon cuts.

The most important part is creating the plug with a large volume of tobacco over the top of the bowl which is gently nudged and pushed inwards but not down into the bowl.

Anyway, wanted to share in the beginner's section - I highly recommend new smokers try it,
I agree with this method, too.

Last edited by a moderator: