PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I scoop and tamp, no air pocket as it's simply wasted space in my opinion. Just develop the "feel" for each layer's density and ... easy peezy, light and enjoy! But, keep in mind, each smoker is allowed make the process as simple or as complicated as they see fit. Some here enjoy meticulous attention to every detail. Others? We simply want to get to enjoying the smoke, rituals slow that process. It's what ever floats your boat!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I tried the Frank method I was immediately accosted by his brother Phil. Thus I was confused from the start as Phil of Frank directed me to ram as much tobacco as possible from top to bottom into the chamber. Nothing complex here; only basic ramming. The initial light ran into the subsequent, without the satisfaction of smoke. But results aren't everything, and I persist.

PM me if you want Phil's phone number.

Do whatever works for you.

I pack and tamp very unconventionally. I put in 5 or 6 pinches inside the bowl. On the charring light it rises. I tamp down and relight. I keep on smoking till it goes out. Tamp down again and relight. Keep on doing this until I have had a satisfactory smoke or the tobacco would not take fire. Depending on the size of the pipe or my mood, generally happens from the 45th min mark to 1 hour 15 minute mark. Very satisfying ?

It’s burning a dried organic matter inside a partially enclosed chamber. Nothing complex about it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer to lay out a prime number of individual strands into layers of hexagonal mesh, then use modeling software to run simulations on optimal lighting configuration based on relative humidity, VIX volatility index, and Saturn's retrograde status. I call it the TimeKiller method.
Perfectly named! I could maybe throw in a few more steps but what that there'll do is waste take a couple of hours each smoke. Great for cutting down!

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Do whatever works for you.

I pack and tamp very unconventionally. I put in 5 or 6 pinches inside the bowl. On the charring light it rises. I tamp down and relight. I keep on smoking till it goes out. Tamp down again and relight. Keep on doing this until I have had a satisfactory smoke or the tobacco would not take fire. Depending on the size of the pipe or my mood, generally happens from the 45th min mark to 1 hour 15 minute mark. Very satisfying ?

It’s burning a dried organic matter inside a partially enclosed chamber. Nothing complex about it.

This is what I do, stuff in several packs, I don’t count, tamp it down lightly and fire it up... Tamp and relight when needed. I do occasionally get a bad bowl though that needs too many relights...

I will say this Frank method looks interesting and not that tough to do, it’s on Youtube, but not as practical in a park where I mostly smoke.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Who is frank? Why does he insist on complicating pipe smoking?
Herr Frank is a German pipe dealer who is a buddy of mine. ?
Just as an aside years ago at a pipe show a well known and much loved pipe carver’s heart stopped and he collapsed at my feet late at night and was pretty much dead. I basically froze and went into shock but Herr and Frau Frank jumped on him and brought him back to life before EMS arrived.

Mar 1, 2014
The Frank Method could practically be called an elaborate "Air Pocket" pack.
After enough time you'll learn to expedite the procedure and just fill the pipe in one step without fussing about the details.

I'd bet a lot of people are performing nearly the same packing method without realizing it because eventually it just becomes the fastest way to securely put tobacco in your pipe (not gravity loading).

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I’ve been smoking a pipe longer than most here and I don’t consider myself a “codger”. In fact, I don’t know why anyone would want to but to each their own.

I don’t usually use the frank method but when I do it is everything you (OP) said it to be. A great method and I can see why people like it. I usually don’t take the time or mess to make it happen though.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
The Frank Method could practically be called an elaborate "Air Pocket" pack.
After enough time you'll learn to expedite the procedure and just fill the pipe in one step without fussing about the details.

I'd bet a lot of people are performing nearly the same packing method without realizing it because eventually it just becomes the fastest way to securely put tobacco in your pipe (not gravity loading).
Totally agree. But the instructions are helpful for newer pipe smokers who want to avoid the trial and error. Takes the guesswork out of it and really isnt any more complicated than any other method. Gravity fill, top with a plug of tobacco, and roll it into the bowl. That’s pretty much it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This method seems to say nothing about charing the top of the bowl with tobacco fill to the rim. I would say you should leave space at the top to avoid the flame damaging the rim.
You can soot the rim, smudge it, cake it, lava it, but you really have to go some to actually char it.

Leaving space at the top will reduce the chance of sooting the rim, but is no guarantee. It's more how the flame is applied than level of load.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
You can soot the rim, smudge it, cake it, lava it, but you really have to go some to actually char it.

Leaving space at the top will reduce the chance of sooting the rim...
+1. I have removed some pretty thick cake over the years and 99 times out of 100 the rim is in perfect condition when you get down to it.