PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
The "how do I pack my pipe method" has been discussed ad nauseum including a sticky thread somewhere. But I am posting this in the basics and beginners section because after two years of smoking a pipe and trying every method from stuff and puff, to three pinch, to the scoop from the jar, to the spiral palm swirl method,, I have settled on the Frank method - it works.

I had used it - sort of and without attention to the details- periodically with only periodic success. I recently read the article on the method on the NY Pipe club site and began following the directions exactly (other than the torch lighter). It works -- consistently and with great results. If done correctly, it creates a firm plug of tobacco at the top of the bowl with looser tobacco at the bottom, so that as the ember burns down, airflow is maintained and I get a consistent smoke that rarely goes out. I find the bowl doesn't heat up as much, and tamping and relights are kept to a minimum, and the tobacco burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl, This has been true across different pipes and blends, although it works best with ribbon cuts.

The most important part is creating the plug with a large volume of tobacco over the top of the bowl which is gently nudged and pushed inwards but not down into the bowl.

Anyway, wanted to share in the beginner's section - I highly recommend new smokers try it,

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
A lot of people like the Frank method. Frankly, I don't like the Frank method. Too fussy for me. Codger scoop does fine for me most of the time.
But a lot of people like the Frank method as its precision takes the guesswork out of what for some is the insurmountable intellectual challenge of putting tobacco into a bowl.
Don't know about intellectual challenge, but it gives consistency particularly to newer smokers who arent codgers with the magic touch developed over decades of smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't know about intellectual challenge, but it gives consistency particularly to newer smokers who arent codgers with the magic touch developed over decades of smoking.
Not really magic, as it can be learned in a few tries. The secret is to not have the tobacco too dry nor too wet.

But to each his own! For some it's part of a ritual which is comforting and effective. I feel the same way about the "charring vs. true" lights bit. For most lights (plugs, coin and cake perhaps excepted) I find I need but one light,—except when I don't!

It's all good.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Another yay for simplicity and speed. With the scoop and then press on the top once works very well, as the tobacco gets less compressed the further down the chamber it goes.

No need for a void in the heel, unless wetness is a problem for you.
^^^ This... I started w/the Frank method, and it evolved into a scoop, tap the bowel, scoop again and press, which has worked like a charm... for me. I basically eliminated the middle step of the Frank. I don’t think that there is a universal best method... even the Frank takes some personal tweaking.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The "how do I pack my pipe method" has been discussed ad nauseum including a sticky thread somewhere. But I am posting this in the basics and beginners section because after two years of smoking a pipe and trying every method from stuff and puff, to three pinch, to the scoop from the jar, to the spiral palm swirl method,, I have settled on the Frank method - it works.

I had used it - sort of and without attention to the details- periodically with only periodic success. I recently read the article on the method on the NY Pipe club site and began following the directions exactly (other than the torch lighter). It works -- consistently and with great results. If done correctly, it creates a firm plug of tobacco at the top of the bowl with looser tobacco at the bottom, so that as the ember burns down, airflow is maintained and I get a consistent smoke that rarely goes out. I find the bowl doesn't heat up as much, and tamping and relights are kept to a minimum, and the tobacco burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl, This has been true across different pipes and blends, although it works best with ribbon cuts.

The most important part is creating the plug with a large volume of tobacco over the top of the bowl which is gently nudged and pushed inwards but not down into the bowl.

Anyway, wanted to share in the beginner's section - I highly recommend new smokers try it,
when you get the three step method down it's the same effect but more so and with more control. I like the frank method more as a beginner thing, it is hard to mess up. All packing methods have thee ole pros & cons

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The codger scoop is the basis of packing a pipe for me, with maybe a pinch of tobacco on the top for the added density Frank likes. My dad smoked pretty much all day for fifty years, and the scoop, out of a pouch of Granger (always the foil pouch) did it for him. Sometimes I go for the gravity load, and sometimes for layering, but mostly the codger method.