PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I was rather young I recall going to see my one grandmother who was in her 90s at the time hanging up paper towels to dry on the clothing line. I guess that is what raising 8 kids alone during the depression will do to you.
My GF goes through rolls of paper tiger like Sherman went through Atlanta. So, when I run across her discards they get put on the counter or stove top to dry. And I've not suffered any deprivation my whole life.

Jan 27, 2020
My GF goes through rolls of paper tiger like Sherman went through Atlanta. So, when I run across her discards they get put on the counter or stove top to dry. And I've not suffered any deprivation my whole life.

Well kudos to you, I am guilty of wasting too many paper towels too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
AKA chipped beef on toast? Haven't seen it in ages. If well made, it's fine, badly made gave it its nick.

Yes, it use to be a diner staple but I only really ate my Grandmother's when she was alive. It's pretty easy to make actually but I don't even see the packs of dried chipped beef hanging off the end of grocery store shelves anymore.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The whole paper towel industry makes me sick. They are necessary for any thing oily or greasy, cream etc, but for just a water spill? The ads make it clear that when anything needs wiping up, you grab a paper towel.

I'd bet tens of thousands of trees weekly get slaughtered to feed the frenzy of use once then dispose.

Jan 27, 2020
The whole paper towel industry makes me sick. They are necessary for any thing oily or greasy, cream etc, but for just a water spill? The ads make it clear that when anything needs wiping up, you grab a paper towel.

Yes. Who even buys dish rags anymore? I shall take your comment to heart and try to use little to no paper towels. The older I get the more wastefulness bothers me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They manage to garner several Tombstone gifs. "Well, bye" rotf
I think I've seen two times where peoples I am leaving posts were not lame. In both cases the people where victims of uneven and corrupt moderation as in genuine and clear moderators abusing their powers to harass people they didn't like. One of the stand out differences was they didn't use the you guys are going to miss me but instead accurately predicted that the place was going to the dogs and would be infested by trolls and dirt bags. I love how often the message of the kiss off thread is I have to get the last word in and you can't say nothing to me and you don't even know how good I was for this place.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Does anyone eat sh$t on a shingle anymore?!
I didn't know it was a real dish for a long time. I thought when people told me they ate that they were making fun of their wives cooking. At the same time I also thought that Steelers were the Stealers and assumed that Pittsburg sports teams just had some obsession with criminals (Pirates, Stealers, and what is the hockey team the Pick Pockets).

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I didn't know it was a real dish for a long time. I thought when people told me they ate that they were making fun of their wives cooking. At the same time I also thought that Steelers were the Stealers and assumed that Pittsburg sports teams just had some obsession with criminals (Pirates, Stealers, and what is the hockey team the Pick Pockets).
When we were little and playing tiggy lamppost, or something similar in the school playground, we used to have to count, loudly, so that everyone could get into their position before the game could begin. Usually the count was to 20.

At the end break time or lunch time, when competitiveness had send us 6 year olds all a bit wappy, we used to try and catch people out by shouting “1, 2, Mr Fu, 99, 100! Coming ready or not!”

It was only much later in life that I realised it wasn’t Mr Fu at all but more properly - “1, 2, I have missed a few out of the following sequence, 99, 100! Coming, ready or not!”

I’ve no idea who Mr Fu was? I think I must have watched one too many Fu Manchu movies on BBC2 or something. ?‍♂️

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It was just you, Jay. I had you blocked. Everyone else could get to the site.

JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what I sent to the mods this morning.
------------
There is a major power outage in the Midwest due to extreme heat and the entire data center is without power. (The data center for my hosting company is in the St. Louis area.) All of my websites and emails are out of commission.

This Outlook email works as it is separate outside of my servers.

I always understood that there were back-up generators in case of a power outage, so I’m not sure what happened there, unless they already used up their resources.

Hopefully, it gets fixed soon. I spoke personally with the owner of my hosting company and he tells me that the data center is working on it directly with the power company.
------------

There were thousands of sites down. I'm glad it's fixed now.
I was so hoping you were fucking with Jay.