PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Gregory Porter, Jason Morans, Joey Defrancesco and Kurt Rosenwinkel to name a few. Some of the best most entertaining music I’ve experienced was at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. Highly recommend a visit for any jazz fan.
Thats a nice list. I hope to visit Chicago soon. My father goes alot and I always mean to tag along.

Moran is great. Traditional yet what I would call "modern tonality". Kurt is also great - he's in that Bill Frisell realm in my opinion. Exploring new ideas without pushing the boundary too much. Beautiful tone as well. Defrancesco is another I dig. I'd put him more in the Scofield/Medeski realm. Compositions are a blend of styles that really work well together. Also, he always works with great players.
Thanks for the input. I'll look more into the Jazz Showcase

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
View attachment 254539

Listening to this at the shop today, pretty incredible actually but anybody got a pipe ID ? What is going on here with that stem misalignment? Everyone's go their own style I guess but I found this interesting.
Looks like a bent and he's just got the stem twisted at 45° so the bowl isn't hanging off to the side of his mouth. Maybe it makes it easier to clench?

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
  • Love
Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
View attachment 254539

Listening to this at the shop today, pretty incredible actually but anybody got a pipe ID ? What is going on here with that stem misalignment? Everyone's go their own style I guess but I found this interesting.
His son, Tyondai Braxton, has created some really strange music. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I'll put it on occasionally.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
His son, Tyondai Braxton, has created some really strange music. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I'll put it on occasionally.
Yeah, this record has what looks like to be bread-board electrical schematics for musical scores, pushing avant-garde but tasteful, no annoying skronk. Minimal too, highly recommended

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Yeah, this record has what looks like to be bread-board electrical schematics for musical scores, pushing avant-garde but tasteful, no annoying skronk. Minimal too, highly recommended
Central Market is the album I was thinking about, turns out the whole thing is on YouTube:

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
My main gig was in a touring Death Metal band and playing some jazz and blues once in a while kept the playing sharp.
Who did you tour with? I was a big Death Metal guy back in my younger and wilder days. Now I am far more likely to listen to Red Garland or Oscar Peterson.

Reactions: RobNYC