PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The cleanest jazz guitarist in the history of the Universe:

I'd throw George Van Eps and Ed Bickert into this category also.
I don't disagree that Johnny Smith had a fantastic touch either.
But man, jazz guitar is a never ending conversation. Each has their own thing that separates them from one another and there's just so many great. George and Ed, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis... it just goes on and on.
Great rec!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Some of my fave jazz artists are Freddie Hubbard, Archie Shepp, Charles Lloyd, Jimmy Giuffre, Chico Hamilton, Bill Evans... I like best that side of jazz that went sort of "mystical" sometime during the fifties and sixties and keeps lingering here and there.
Jimmy Guiffre 3 is one of my all time favorites. Such a power house of a trio - Jim and Jimmy were incredible together and the comping was brilliant.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
A genre I don't see mentioned much is the crossover of Bluegrass to Jazz. It started with guys like Django and Grappelli (the gypsy jazz). Then in the mid 70s we were blessed with guys like David Grisman his quintet (Mike Marshall, Darol Angor, Todd Phillips, and the greatest guitarist ever in my opinion - Tony Rice). We have to mention John Carlini because he was very relevant to the development of this music, especially Tony's evolution into the genre. These guys took acoustic jazz to the next level and were the saving grace of jazz in the 80s in my opinion (not to say other great things weren't happening, but alot of unfavorable things were).
Some releases were more crossover than others, but the jazz element remained. To this day I believe this to be some of the most innovative and exciting compositions of the genre. Nothing else like it was done and still hasn't been in a way. This new wave of bluegrass musicians/jazz enthusiasts is one of the most fascinating things to me.
Here are some examples of each, not in any order:
(Yes, Tony Rice plays on every album. Who else would you ask to back your acoustic jazz band?)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
A genre I don't see mentioned much is the crossover of Bluegrass to Jazz. It started with guys like Django and Grappelli (the gypsy jazz). Then in the mid 70s we were blessed with guys like David Grisman his quintet (Mike Marshall, Darol Angor, Todd Phillips, and the greatest guitarist ever in my opinion - Tony Rice). We have to mention John Carlini because he was very relevant to the development of this music, especially Tony's evolution into the genre. These guys took acoustic jazz to the next level and were the saving grace of jazz in the 80s in my opinion (not to say other great things weren't happening, but alot of unfavorable things were).
Some releases were more crossover than others, but the jazz element remained. To this day I believe this to be some of the most innovative and exciting compositions of the genre. Nothing else like it was done and still hasn't been in a way. This new wave of bluegrass musicians/jazz enthusiasts is one of the most fascinating things to me.
(Yes, Tony Rice plays on every album. Who else would you ask to back your acoustic jazz band?)

I'd throw port tobacco, and birdland breakdown on this list.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Can't say I'm a big fan, but do enjoy what people call jazz. I'm not even sure what jazz is. Like Luis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday.. might spelled the names wrong, are they singing jazz, or blues? I have no clue. I just listen to what sounds pleasant to my ears. Skynyrd rock!!!

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
_C[/URL]
I believe that the "New Grass" fused quite a bit of jazz and some rock elements with bluegrass.
Bele Fleck emerged as a significant influence most especially with his band The Flecktones.

Before them I think that The Dixie Dregs brought a unique fusion of country, jazz and rock that had one foot in jazz fusion and the other in Prog Rock.

That is one of the reasons that I have always loved both Jazz and Rock, both genres (each with an emphasis on improvisation) allow for continued evolution of each. Don't forget that Blues is a big component in Jazz and Rock as well.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I have a wildly eclectic appreciation for all musical styles.
But Jazz is one of the primary genres I truly love.
And, I've been lucky enough to see many of my favorites live at various clubs and concerts here in Chicago: Bill Evans, Erroll Garner, the MJQ, Miles Davis, and Oregon among many others.
By the way, if you want a truly sublime jazz experience, sit back and listen to Bill Evans' performance of "Peace Piece."

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I am a jazz musician and erstwhile fan. I've been playing the genre for over 30 years (on piano. Lately I've been teaching myself jazz guitar. That's a work in slow progress.) Most people would consider me highly skilled, and I teach and have taught other highly skilled musicians. I perform a fair bit and spend about 85% of my time teaching nowadays.

I'm starting to listen to jazz again lately, especially since Wayne Shorter died. I'm pretty weird. I don't really consider myself a "jazz fan". I spent a time avoiding the "jazz scene" altogether. It's not my favourite music to listen to. I'm also highly schooled in classical. I have a degree in classical composition, but I don't listen to much classical music either. I'd say I'm more a fan of good hip hop, world music, like Senegalese pop, Indian classical, Afro Cuban, Brazilian, etc. etc. I don't know. Is it that "world" music (which is really "third world" music, but the "third" is silent) is still good, because there's less corporate oversight of the production process? More "authentic"? I gravitate towards whatever is not a product of the Anglo/American/Swedish Musical Industrial Complex. I guess I'd put it that way. A lot of great music came from America in the 20's, 30's, 40's 50's, and 60's. Then there was a decline. The most interesting music (in North America) in the last 40 years is in the electronic/hip hop domain. There's been some good Folk and plenty of good jazz. But these are not progressive areas in music I would say. When something is a niche area, it lacks a certain vigour. There's not much "buzz" around "modern jazz" which only means, there are a few people who are very good at it (Like Joey Alexander, as @georged posted above.) But it's not growing and flourishing like it did in the 30's and 40's (obviously).

Anyway, Wayne Shorter died this year, and, you know, Miles Davis second quintet, and Bitches Brew and IN A SILENT WAY, and THE ENTIRE WEATHER REPORT CATALOGUE. These albums were HUGE in my early development as a musician. And really, the only jazz I've been interested in listening to much in the last 20 years was Wayne's quartet featuring Danilo Perez, Brian Blade, and John Patitucci. That music is ecstatically joyful and deeply infused with Freedom. When Wayne died I started listening to all these jazz albums again and watching old interviews. So now, I'm getting back into the genre a bit as a listener these days. But life is short and there's so much music out there. I put my Apple Music on shuffle as I was driving to work today and the first thing to come on was Neil Young "Give Me Strength" from Hitchhiker. Perfect. And I was thinking, it's the vulnerability on display in his vocal timbre that makes it. Wayne Shorter had that same quality in his tone. And Miles too. Big Time. And people derided him for his imperfect technique. Please. Not perfect players. True. Not polished and packaged. Just deeply human. Fragile. Mortal. And conveying that fact with profound skill. A lot of jazz performers today miss that. They're focused on the wrong skills. I don't immediately perceive what they're trying to convey, from an artistic perspective. It just sounds like jazz. I think Wynton brought a lot of that onto the scene. (And Stanley Crouch.) If I want to listen to Mozart, I can do that. Billy Taylor is the one who dubbed jazz America's Classical Music. He's not the one who killed it though. Ken Burns played a part there too, posthumously at least. Anyway "jazz" is just a dirty word. At least it was originally. When I listen to Ellington, I don't hear "jazz". That word has no association for me. He disassociated himself from it, repeatedly. Think about that.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I believe that the "New Grass" fused quite a bit of jazz and some rock elements with bluegrass.
Bele Fleck emerged as a significant influence most especially with his band The Flecktones.

Before them I think that The Dixie Dregs brought a unique fusion of country, jazz and rock that had one foot in jazz fusion and the other in Prog Rock.

That is one of the reasons that I have always loved both Jazz and Rock, both genres (each with an emphasis on improvisation) allow for continued evolution of each. Don't forget that Blues is a big component in Jazz and Rock as well.
I agree to an extent. What the Flecktones and New Grass Revival were doing was different from the "school of Grisman". It does have its elements of jazz, but I'd say alot of that jazz is less traditional. As you said, more elements of rock and I would say funk as well. Early Flecktones is very reminiscent of bands like Weather Report and that era of jazz (in my opinion.) I think what Bela did was completely different, in a good way. I love what his sound evolved to.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
This thread is rich with great musical taste! I love jazz, fusion, etc ...I am a big fan of all types of instrumental music, mainly.

I play anywhere from 4-8 gigs a month as a solo instrumental guitarist - I am excited as I get to play an upscale local restaurant on Tuesday and then my local cigar lounge this Wednesday for a pipe night event. I play with a loop pedal and do 2-4 hours a night, no vocals - it's a lot of fun and makes for a great side income. I play a lot of covers from Coltrane, Miles Davis, etc as well as a bunch of original stuff.

Cheers!

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Some of my fave jazz artists are Freddie Hubbard, Archie Shepp, Charles Lloyd, Jimmy Giuffre, Chico Hamilton, Bill Evans... I like best that side of jazz that went sort of "mystical" sometime during the fifties and sixties and keeps lingering here and there.
Bill Evans and Tony Bennett "some other time"....simply beautiful in the most meaningful way.