PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
How ya enjoying the lot of albums ya purchased? Anything stand out in particular ?
Well of those Jazz bundles I bought I have at last played them all at least once, quite a few twice and a couple thrice but none come close to Kenny Burrell and his boys :)

All those discs seem to have been issued with a magazine subscription and most are of what I would (rightly or wrongly) call New Orleans style jazz. For what I paid for them, I think I got the bargain of the month.

By far my preferences are instrumentals with emphasis on piano, sax and a little trumpet, with lots of rhythm/beat.

Jay.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
When Blues Alley in Baltimore was going under and tickets got cheap I got to see Kenny and his group 3 different nights. I was young and broke. It was 7 bucks a night. I also saw Dizzy and Tony Williams at that venue. It was great getting to sit 10 feet from them.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Big fan here. Luckily I have been around long enough to have seen some of the greats before they passed. Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Steve Lacy playing solo, Charlie Haden, Wallace Roney, Roy Hargrove, Jack Sheldon, Chick Corea, Miles…… I once talked to Artie Shaw, I now have a nice terracotta bowl from his estate. It’s always worth getting out to see the ones that are left and of course the younger living legends like the Marsalis brothers. Don’t sleep on Delfeayo!!
I missed Shorter and that’s a huge bummer. He wrote some of the best music.
Greatest jazz recording, or any genre for that matter, of all time is of the greatest song of all time, Louis Armstrong’s 1931 version of Hoagy Carmichael’s Stardust.

Last edited:

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Hey, great to see so many Jazz peeps here and vinyl collectors in this thread! I collect Jazz vinyl with a heavy focus on original 1st press Blue Notes. Speaking of Kenny, here's a bucket lister I recently snagged at our local shop:

393290272_187056964438317_1695708612508452114_n.jpg
370217018_366142509173696_7797228831801891818_n.jpg

It's a 1st press 1958 DG Mono, incredibly clean. I've always loved the Andy Warhol art on jackets.

Musically, the sweet spot for me is '58-'65. Sonically, anything from the Golden Era that used tube condenser mics, especially Contemporary stereo recordings (Roy DuNann), and anything well-recorded and well-engineered from that era.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Well of those Jazz bundles I bought I have at last played them all at least once, quite a few twice and a couple thrice but none come close to Kenny Burrell and his boys :)

All those discs seem to have been issued with a magazine subscription and most are of what I would (rightly or wrongly) call New Orleans style jazz. For what I paid for them, I think I got the bargain of the month.

By far my preferences are instrumentals with emphasis on piano, sax and a little trumpet, with lots of rhythm/beat.

Jay.
Kenny Burrell is the man, but he's also a different style than what your describing which may be why you enjoy his sound a little more.
But still, it was quite a bargain and glad to hear your enjoying the instrumentals from previous eras of the genre.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Bassist here, upright, fretted, fretless,

Ron Carter, Eddie Gomez, Stanley Clarke, Jaco , you know the drill.
One of my favorites in the genre. It's no wonder you can find his name listed on so many classic albums.
I'd have to add Charlie Haden to the list as well. Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, so many.
Bass is one of my favorite aspects of any jazz group - particularly a trio.
gettyimages-1317989689-1024x1024.jpggettyimages-1317989695-612x612.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Hey, great to see so many Jazz peeps here and vinyl collectors in this thread! I collect Jazz vinyl with a heavy focus on original 1st press Blue Notes. Speaking of Kenny, here's a bucket lister I recently snagged at our local shop:

View attachment 254074
View attachment 254075

It's a 1st press 1958 DG Mono, incredibly clean. I've always loved the Andy Warhol art on jackets.

Musically, the sweet spot for me is '58-'65. Sonically, anything from the Golden Era that used tube condenser mics, especially Contemporary stereo recordings (Roy DuNann), and anything well-recorded and well-engineered from that era.
That's a pretty special album for any collection. Very cool.
I used to aim for first pressings of my favorite Blue Note classics. I've now settled for the Tone Poet series and even certain albums from the Classic series. Though I will snag first edition when they find me.
I'm a whore for Tone Poet and Analogue Productions

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
So which style would you label KB as playing. It would be useful to know for future reference.

Jay.
I'd technically categorize him as bebop. I think there's quite a blues element to his playing too (very similar to Miles Davis actually). Others (not necessarily as bluesy) in his realm would be: Herb Hellis, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Barney Kessel, early George Benson, Jim Hall, etc... Man there's just so many. But I'd say he was part of the bebop scene, even through the 60s when many went the direction of Avant-garde. He stayed rooted in blues and bop for the most part, incorporating other sounds into the mix.

• Love
Reactions: mawnansmiff