PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
British Grand Prix weekend. A great track that has produced some awesome racing over the years. Now the other teams have narrowed the gap to Red Bull i'm hoping for a great race.

It's a brilliant weekend of sport if you're English. We've got England playing in the quarter finals of the Euros, the British Grand Prix and Wimbledon is on.
Or if you're American and love football, tennis, and are on the fence with F-1 but like that track!

Bonus for the Yanks: Baseball and the COPA.

Oh, yeah, and it's not so nice to watch the COPA Americas with no horse in the race...... well, it's actually ok. Some good teams and great players.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just saw Al's post on Le Tour...Also not my cuppa, though will catch some of it. Flying down a hill at ungodly speeds with 5 tons of man and machine following to crush you if you fall.....after wheezing for an hour getting up the freakin' mountain.

Hats off to those who can or like watching!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hell, yeah. First race I have enjoyed in a while. Too bad Russell's car broke down. A 1-2-3 finish by Brits would have been even better, though not guaranteed had Russell stayed in the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Question for you experienced in racing (even if just watching): If Russell hadn't broken down, could he and Lewis have held off everyone by good team work? (Applies to any team at the lead driving together.)

Jun 9, 2018
England
Question for you experienced in racing (even if just watching): If Russell hadn't broken down, could he and Lewis have held off everyone by good team work? (Applies to any team at the lead driving together.)
Depends. Max was gaining with every lap but George had plenty of pace before his mechanical failure. Shame, as it would've made the race more interesting.

I wish the race could've gone on a few more laps so we could've had a fight for the lead. Still, it was the best race of the season and Silverstone delivered yet again.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
It's the Hungary GP this weekend. 12 races done with 12 to go and McClaren & Mercedes have really caught up to Red Bull. Max has an 80+ point lead but you never know. After the first few races it looked like it was gonna be a Max Verstappen cake walk to the title. Not anymore.

I don't think he'll be caught but you never know. A couple of Max DNF's and we might just have a title fight on our hands.

Reactions: ssjones and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just finished watching the Hungarian. Best race for me this year. Way to go, MacLaren! Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie! And: Nice work, Lewis!

Waiting to see if Verstappen gets penalty for collision with Hamilton.

Never liked that dude, though admire his abilities. Have to say, he's a little bitch. Well, don't have to, but there, said and done.

Reactions: mbmoehl

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Verstappen is slowly starting to get on my nerves.
I think he was at fault in that collision today. Hamilton left plenty of room and didn't turn in. But we'll see what the stewards have to say.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Never liked that dude, though admire his abilities. Have to say, he's a little bitch. Well, don't have to, but there, said and done.
Agree. He seems nice when he's winning, but his race craft and attitude/nice guy aesthetic unravel when the pressure is on.

Great for McLaren, but their image is pretty tarnished after that fiasco. Kinda side with Norris on this one. The strategy could have been played out much better for Oscar if that's who they wanted on the top step. Great race for Oscar until that last pit.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Verstappen is slowly starting to get on my nerves.
I think he was at fault in that collision today. Hamilton left plenty of room and didn't turn in. But we'll see what the stewards have to say.
He has that "win at all costs" mentality. Senna had it and so did Schumacher. I remember back in the 1980's, Nigel Mansell said that if you were going for a corner against Senna you had 2 options: yield or crash.

Senna and Schumacher are my joint No.1 of all time. I just can't split them.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I missed the middle part of the race. Regardless, why did the MacLaren team make Piastri the winner?
Since Piastri has the better start and lead most of the race is my guess. I think McLaren just messed up the pit strategy and wanted to correct it on track. I think the other reasons are the Piastri has helped Landon multiple times before and with his leading most of the race wanted to reward those efforts.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since Piastri has the better start and lead most of the race is my guess. I think McLaren just messed up the pit strategy and wanted to correct it on track. I think the other reasons are the Piastri has helped Landon multiple times before and with his leading most of the race wanted to reward those efforts.
Ta very much. Now it makes sense. I kinda skimmed through the race until the last 6-7 laps.