PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
How about reversing the order of the start? # 20 becomes pole and would be pole starts at the very back?
I don't know if reversing the entire grid is fair, but they do something similar in British Touring Cars where they have 3 races in a day. Typical races have somewhere around 26 cars. Prior to the third race a number is drawn between 6 and 12. For the third race the grid is reversed down to that number based on race 2 results. So if 10 is drawn, the first 10 cars are reversed and everyone after that starts as they finished race 2.

I think it could be good where there is a sprint race. After the sprint race, draw a number between say 7 and 12. The cars down to, and including the number drawn are reversed, and the cars after that number are also reversed. Might have to make the sprint race worth more points, so it's worthwhile dropping to 12th for the main race after winning it.

British Touring Cars also had 'success ballast' until a couple of years ago, so successful drivers had to carry more weight. Could be another option.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and ssjones

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I think abandon qualifying.
The cars should line up in reverse championship order. So Verstappen would currently be right at the back, Leclerc in front of him and so on.
They would have to somehow extend the points so that everyone in a race would get a point. Otherwise which of the "zero points" drivers would you give pole position to.

At least then we will see plenty of overtaking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Lando on pole was a nice result. Seems like we might actually have a title fight on our hands. After the first few races I really thought that Max was gonna walk it. I'm not so sure now🤔.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow 🏎️🏁👍

Reactions: gubbyduffer
Jun 9, 2018
England
It's the Austrian GP this weekend and it's a Sprint Race Weekend. The sprint race starts at 11am UK time with regular qualifying for the race at 3pm UK time.

Judging by the qualifying for the Sprint Race that I watched earlier, it's going to be a close weekend. Max is on pole but not by much. Hopefully it'll be an exciting weekend.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Well played by Redbull. They gained in constructor points with two cars in the points while Norris and LeClerc lost in drivers points to Max's gain. Points wise, it was a win win. Don't take me for a Redbull fan, I'm just sayin.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Yep, smart play. I think Verstappen should have been penalized, not Norris.
Max was penalized 10 seconds and two points on his super license. Norris got 5 seconds for track limits. Had the stewards not sat on that for multiple laps, the incident between the two may not have happened...maybe.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
At least the lead changed hands! And my lad got P-1.

How would you more experienced racing fans rate the Austrian track?
Its very scenic. We've had some good races there.
There are plenty of tracks I don't like. Austria is not one of them.

Jun 9, 2018
England
British Grand Prix weekend. A great track that has produced some awesome racing over the years. Now the other teams have narrowed the gap to Red Bull i'm hoping for a great race.

It's a brilliant weekend of sport if you're English. We've got England playing in the quarter finals of the Euros, the British Grand Prix and Wimbledon is on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
British Grand Prix weekend. A great track that has produced some awesome racing over the years. Now the other teams have narrowed the gap to Red Bull i'm hoping for a great race.

It's a brilliant weekend of sport if you're English. We've got England playing in the quarter finals of the Euros, the British Grand Prix and Wimbledon is on.
and we're a week into the Tour De France.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I think the fine handed to Redbull was total BS. It's free practice for God's sake and the they were following the rules. Gotta put in student drivers from time to time and not all of them are going to excel.