New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
As I am smoking, I am putting a particulate into the air as the smoke disperses, and I am breathing that stuff. I may not be inhaling the smoke directly through the stem, but I am definitely inhaling my own second-hand smoke.

While that's true, I can't imagine it being nearly as rough on the lungs as inhaling directly from a pipe.. or a cigarette.

I have also suspected that the size of the bit on a pipe might affect how much smoke slips by.. If the bit's bigger, that would make your jaw open wider, which could open a path to your lungs.

While that's true, I can't imagine it being nearly as rough on the lungs as inhaling directly from a pipe.. or a cigarette.
Probably not, but if you set in a room with any amount of overspray from particulates, you can feel it. This is why I now have an excellent vacuum system in my studio and I wear a respirator for a lot of my polishing and solder work. If I forget to wear my mask when soldering, just that little bit of vaper will set me to coughing fits and sore lungs. It doesn't take much.

But, people are different. I know that when I smoked cigarettes, I could handle the smoke much better, but then again, most cigarette smoker's first instinct when coughing is to light up another to help calm down the cough.
I also know that when i have to go long periods of time without my pipe, I can have the most congested nose that I can't breath out of either side, but as soon as I walk towards my truck knowing that I am soon to fire up my pipe my body reacts by opening my sinuses. I was telling this to some guys at The Briary, when one of them confessed that he used to have a problem with coke. He said his body did the same thing, clearing the nasal passages just with the idea that he was about to get a snort, or whatever they call it.
The body does strange things, most of them not so intuitively healthy.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Probably not, but if you set in a room with any amount of overspray from particulates, you can feel it. This is why I now have an excellent vacuum system in my studio and I wear a respirator for a lot of my polishing and solder work. If I forget to wear my mask when soldering, just that little bit of vaper will set me to coughing fits and sore lungs. It doesn't take much.

But, people are different. I know that when I smoked cigarettes, I could handle the smoke much better, but then again, most cigarette smoker's first instinct when coughing is to light up another to help calm down the cough.
I also know that when i have to go long periods of time without my pipe, I can have the most congested nose that I can't breath out of either side, but as soon as I walk towards my truck knowing that I am soon to fire up my pipe my body reacts by opening my sinuses. I was telling this to some guys at The Briary, when one of them confessed that he used to have a problem with coke. He said his body did the same thing, clearing the nasal passages just with the idea that he was about to get a snort, or whatever they call it.
So to clear my sinuses, start snorting coke... check! ?

I kid. No booger sugar for me.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden

Bet that wasn't the only passage cleared...
... Ever heard of the cocaine shits?

Jan 27, 2020
I’m not necessarily recommending it but snuff is easily the most harmless tobacco product. Ok
No first hand experience here, but from what I've heard it very much is a thing.
Some say it's because the cocaine is cut with laxative and others say it's because cocaine is a stimulant sort of like strong coffe.

Yes yes,, “a friend I use to know...” ohh, I’ve heard that before.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I don't get it either.. My breathing was better when I only smoked cigarettes, and I smoked a couple packs a day for 15 years... pipe smoking has cut me back to a half pack. I love my pipes and smoke them all day, but the smokers cough prevails.
It is the cigarettes. You can smoke the pipe without inhaling & still get Nic hit without whacking lungs.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It is the cigarettes. You can smoke the pipe without inhaling & still get Nic hit without whacking lungs.
Yeah, but that’s easier said than done for most folks that came to pipes from cigarettes or moist snuff. Most pipe tobacco (even many of the supposedly strong blends) doesn’t have that fast nic hit that snuff and cigs do. I never messed with cigarettes really, but snuff, chew, and cigars were my preference before switching to pipes. There are very few pipe blends that give me a noticeable amount of nicotine, and even fewer that will actually give a buzz.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
May I suggest:

Brown or black rope
Dark Flake or Plug
Tambolacka

Maybe you're different, but I smoked a lot of Dark Flake, sometimes only that, for weeks. I did so because it reliably kicked me in the head, which I really liked.

You're saying that such blends don't do it for you?
Those are all hard to get here, so I’ve never tried any of them, but I will make a point to try them out. I’ve had GH Sweet Coconut Twist, which is supposedly just topped brown rope, and is supposed to be pretty strong- nothing. It’s tasty, but no nic for me.
The only blends I’ve had that have given me any noticeable amount of nicotine (without me being super dehydrated in front of the forge): SG 1792 Flake, Peterson Irish Flake, D&R Picayune (if it’s a big bowl), Five Brothers.
I did just receive some SG Black XX Twist, Brown No 4 Twist, and some Warhorse Bar. I haven’t tried them yet, but will soon. Those are all supposed to be pretty stout. Not that I really look for a nic hit these days, but it’s nice if there’s a little something to it.