36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Love Chewing traditional loose leaf tobacco,but aside from a scarce availability in the EU , the one of main the reason I did stop using it is the fact that in the long run it is said to run one's teeth ,thanks to relative high sugar contents in these
Chewing is very hard on the teeth I chewed for almost 40 years and my teeth and gums have paid the price. I have tried to quit in the past by smoking cigarettes but it never worked. I havent smoked a cigarette in about ten years.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yep, I get the sore lung thing too. I'm certain I dont inhale.. at least in the conventional way. I've tried to figure it out and prevent it.. with no luck.

I like chew too, but your right about it hurting your teeth.. seems like dip maybe isn't as bad.

Reactions: madox07

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I've definitely been smoking my pipes more now that I am working from home these past 6 months. It will be an adjustment once my department gets back to the office. I used to dip, chew, when I was in my early twenties. I had to stop because I used to get sores in my mouth from it.

Reactions: kg.legat0

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Over the past few months I also started smoking a lot more than usual. For me that meant a bowl a day plus a cigar on some days. Up from 3 bowls a week and a cigar a month. I've had an uncomfortable feeling on my tongue -- not quite tongue bit but sort of a lingering discomfort and some white film on my tongue. I've taken a break for the past few weeks and its going away, but it has curbed my desire to smoke.

What amazes me is that many people on this forum have apparently smoked multiple bowls a day for decades and apparently have no ill effects. It seems hard to believe that 2 years of moderate pipe smoking and even more moderate cigar smoking would have any impact, but I guess everyone is different.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Over the past few months I also started smoking a lot more than usual. For me that meant a bowl a day plus a cigar on some days. Up from 3 bowls a week and a cigar a month. I've had an uncomfortable feeling on my tongue -- not quite tongue bit but sort of a lingering discomfort and some white film on my tongue. I've taken a break for the past few weeks and its going away, but it has curbed my desire to smoke.

What amazes me is that many people on this forum have apparently smoked multiple bowls a day for decades and apparently have no ill effects. It seems hard to believe that 2 years of moderate pipe smoking and even more moderate cigar smoking would have any impact, but I guess everyone is different.

I don't get it either.. My breathing was better when I only smoked cigarettes, and I smoked a couple packs a day for 15 years... pipe smoking has cut me back to a half pack. I love my pipes and smoke them all day, but the smokers cough prevails.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't get it either.. My breathing was better when I only smoked cigarettes, and I smoked a couple packs a day for 15 years... pipe smoking has cut me back to a half pack. I love my pipes and smoke them all day, but the smokers cough prevails.
I read a study once that said people who were once cigarette smokers and inhaled (and who doesn’t inhale cigarettes?), often inhale a fair amount of pipe and cigar smoke even when they are trying not to inhale, without even realizing it. ?‍♂️

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I read a study once that said people who were once cigarette smokers and inhaled (and who doesn’t inhale cigarettes?), often inhale a fair amount of pipe and cigar smoke even when they are trying not to inhale, without even realizing it. ?‍♂️
I think it would be hard not to, cigarette smoker or not. Smoke likes to cling a little to oral mucosa, nasal passages ... then you draw in a breath. Maybe not everyone. I mostly sip and snork when it comes to cigars and pipes, but a little smokes makes it down the old windpipe regardless.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
So I finally had to go back to work after 2 weeks of vacation. My pipe smoking during this time had gotten completely crazy. I dont smoke a work only at home or in the truck. Is it weird that my lungs were starting to feel kinda sore, I wasnt trying to inhale but did on occasion. Good news is I have quit chewing tobacco
At least you’re learning your limits.

I used to be a 3-6 bowl-a-day smoker up until a couple years ago (sometimes more than that). Sure, it was a lot of fun and I did enjoy it. Now, I work 12+ hour shifts every other week, and only smoke my off-week, and more like 2-3 bowls per day. I have to admit I enjoy it more now. (That’s not to say I won’t digress when I retire, but that’s a whole ‘nother matter. ;) )

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I think it would be hard not to, cigarette smoker or not. Smoke likes to cling a little to oral mucosa, nasal passages ... then you draw in a breath. Maybe not everyone. I mostly sip and snork when it comes to cigars and pipes, but a little smokes makes it down the old windpipe regardless.

Most of the stuff I smoke would seriously choke me if I just straight up inhaled. I'm guessing it's from the somke being forced into your lungs, when you blow smoke out of your nose.. If you smoke for an hour or so even a little would add up.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My lungs began hurting at about 5 years in. I ignored it. To quit smoking the pipe was impossible. That grew steadily worse for the next 11 years, but not a lot worse, and quitting was impossible. All along when smoking if I began coughing or sneezing I'd congratulate myself as a way to keep smoking, and denying. About a month before I quit I knew time was up, but quitting was impossible. The day I quit I was smoking, and then I suddenly had the premonition that if I didn't quit, I was going to get seriously ill and have to go to the hospital. Quitting was possible. If I hadn't had to quit I never would have.

I hear that a number of old men keep smoking, but only a bowl every two a month. I have some inclination to try this, but after my experience with alcohol, that was incredibly difficult to quit, and stay quit, letting an addiction back into my life makes no sense.

But my heart is in the right place, envying you your smoking.