PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Nice photos, Guys. Keep 'em coming.
I've been an obsessed sport fisherman my entire life and also work as both a Fisheries Biologist and a Commercial Fisherman. I have an obscene amount of fish pictures and am happy to share but will refrain from hitting this thread with a nuclear blast of photos from my files.
Here's an odd one that I doubt anyone here has ever seen - a Salmon Snailfish caught off of St. Matthew Island in the Bering Sea.

SalmonSnailfish.jpg

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Did that on Lake Superior back in the 70's... A big drunk.

Those are different smelt. We do it with A-frame dip nets in the surf on the beaches of Redwood National Park in northern California. The are two smelt species that we harvest here commercially. One that runs during the day and one that runs at night. Most of them go to zoos or aquariums to feed animals in captivity but about 2000 pounds a day is sold fresh on the streets of Chinatown in San Francisco.
You can see a bit about our fishery at the 17:30 minute mark in this video here.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I caught halibut once.. On a public pier in Washington state. It was a blast, we caught em all afternoon.

Down here we call them flounder..

Like @alaskanpiper said, we also have flounder up here. The flounder I see most when fishing, the Starry Flounder, to my knowledge anyways, is the only member of Pleuronectiformes that isn’t specifically sinistral/dextral (left/right eyed) by rule. Rather, their geographic location within the Pacific Ocean helps to determine which direction their eye migrates in their early life history.

News you can’t use.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
For whom?
I was doing a King Crab survey for NOAA (Alaska Fisheries Science Center) when I shot that pic of the salmon snailfish. In AK I've also done a bunch of work for the International Pacific Halibut Commission, worked on a handful of longliners out of Kodiak, seiners out of Homer, and trollers in Southeast. Also on the list are multiple agencies, tribes, consulting firms, and tons of commercial fisheries in CA and OR. I can't stand working in an office so I tend to bounce around from grant to grant to keep going on the fun side of the biologist thing and then fill in the gaps with commercial fishing when I need/want to. I also have a USCG captains license for running backup skipper on a local charter boat when my buddy needs a break from the grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.