Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I was doing a King Crab survey for NOAA (Alaska Fisheries Science Center) when I shot that pic of the salmon snailfish. In AK I've also done a bunch of work for the International Pacific Halibut Commission, worked on a handful of longliners out of Kodiak, seiners out of Homer, and trollers in Southeast. Also on the list are multiple agencies, tribes, consulting firms, and tons of commercial fisheries in CA and OR. I can't stand working in an office so I tend to bounce around from grant to grant to keep going on the fun side of the biologist thing and then fill in the gaps with commercial fishing when I need/want to. I also have a USCG captains license for running backup skipper on a local charter boat when my buddy needs a break from the grind.

Mind sharing who you’re currently working for? Happy to take this to a PM, if you’d prefer. I have a few questions.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Not a fish, but...

I’m building a musky rod for a buddy down in Colorado. It’s not something I would have built, but now that I’m working on it, I may end up making one for myself for Salmon snagging.

F8E25F50-2934-4A83-86A5-E65E1E1B13FE.jpeg

6ECE8C9D-9590-450D-9418-5ADD5724A7AB.jpeg

Gave him some different options for guide wraps for the black/gold theme...

4E3C3E65-D996-4767-9738-A7435052C038.jpeg

DC7C1964-0630-446A-B41C-8820049800B5.jpeg

37710EAB-8179-4D3D-8583-98DF2A1D23C4.jpeg

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
That’s a good one for the frying pan right there...
I like eating pike from more northern waters, but Ohio pikes meat gets all yellow and mealy for some reason so I let em go. I think the water gets too warm. Nothing like that big fat steak you off their back though...covered in beer batter...

88555459-68AC-404E-9BB6-2D881A1DBE9F.jpeg
I fished 14 hours today. Got the above pike, then nothing for another 10 hours until this fella showed up. That’s a hog for Ohio water. Actually pulled drag. Some people say I’m insane for fishing 14 hours, but it’s so nice to have some peace out on the water.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Not a fish, but...

I’m building a musky rod for a buddy down in Colorado. It’s not something I would have built, but now that I’m working on it, I may end up making one for myself for Salmon snagging.

View attachment 76875

View attachment 76876

Gave him some different options for guide wraps for the black/gold theme...

View attachment 76878

View attachment 76879

View attachment 76880
That’s really nice! I can’t wrap for shit, that’s some nice tight work right there. Post some pics when you got it all epoxied!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That’s really nice! I can’t wrap for shit, that’s some nice tight work right there. Post some pics when you got it all epoxied!

Will do. He settled on the top color scheme, so I’m measuring guide spacing right now and will start wrapping on the 11 guides and the hook keeper over the next day, or two. This is a 9’ rod, so I think I’m going to wrap/epoxy in sections vs. doing it all at the same time. I use a slow setting epoxy, so I’m sure I could get it all done at once, but this is a special build for a good buddy so I’m gonna slow things down and take my time on it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I like eating pike from more northern waters, but Ohio pikes meat gets all yellow and mealy for some reason so I let em go. I think the water gets too warm. Nothing like that big fat steak you off their back though...covered in beer batter...

View attachment 76884
I fished 14 hours today. Got the above pike, then nothing for another 10 hours until this fella showed up. That’s a hog for Ohio water. Actually pulled drag. Some people say I’m insane for fishing 14 hours, but it’s so nice to have some peace out on the water.

That’s a hog. Also some of my favorite eating. We scaled them and cooked them whole growing up in NC. My favorite part was always the tip of the tail!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

He wanted thicker trim bands and liked the top color scheme. I wrapped this stripping guide for him tonight. He’s in bed for the night so I’ve gotta put the project on hold until he tells me to move forward or change it up...

25B614E0-6FD7-436F-8A80-25C5D1744EC2.jpeg

Jun 23, 2019

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It is rather late in the year, but finally sat on a run last night. I probably won't have to do any more crappie fishing this year. But, I wouldn't mind sacking a few bass.
View attachment 77585

That’s a nice haul of Crappie! Looks like you’ll be in fillets for a while there. I’m a terrible crappie fisherman, just can’t ever find em.

That’s a nice haul of Crappie! Looks like you’ll be in fillets for a while there. I’m a terrible crappie fisherman, just can’t ever find em.
If the crappie are running, you'll know quick. I had been going out and giving it 15 minutes a day till I hit the jackpot.

I haven't had good luck fishing the bedding grounds. They don't hit like they do on a run when they are in spawn. Now, shellcrackers... that's different. I was pulling garbage sack sized loads of them off their beds. I fished those beds year after year, till I think I got them all, or they got pissed off and left. puffy

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Make your own structure.
Luckily the state of Ohio drops everyone’s donated Christmas trees in the area lakes each year, and puts the gps coordinates of each drop on an interactive map. I have hauled fallen trees out of the woods and into creek arms when the reservoirs are low in summer. I’m just never there when the crappie are. I have a reason to believe it’s karma.
If the crappie are running, you'll know quick. I had been going out and giving it 15 minutes a day till I hit the jackpot.

I haven't had good luck fishing the bedding grounds. They don't hit like they do on a run when they are in spawn. Now, shellcrackers... that's different. I was pulling garbage sack sized loads of them off their beds. I fished those beds year after year, till I think I got them all, or they got pissed off and left. puffy
I hit the run dead on about six years ago in Pymatuning, Ohio’s largest inland lake. We were keeping every 15th crappie, and came home with 40 each. The single most fish I’ve ever caught in a day. This isn’t a fisherman’s lie, it was a fish immediately when the bait hit the water from 5am until 11pm. Every fish was bigger than 12”, all black crappie in full spawning color or females fat with eggs. Plus the odd smallmouth, walleye, catfish and hybrid striper (wiper) made for a crazy day of fishing. We were wading off shore.

I ate some fillets quickly, maybe 30% of them, the rest went in the freezer...where they sat. And sat. And then I forgot about them. And then I moved and threw them out. They were old, freezer burned and nasty. I really only like fish when it’s not been frozen, so I felt really awful about wasting all that meat...especially since I knew going in that the meat would sit in the freezer and I’d end up wasting it, but also because so many of the fish were females about to spawn.

The next year, the lake’s crappie limit was lowered to 20. There previously was no limit. I know it wasn’t my fault, there were guys I talked to who kept 200 fish a day and threw out last’s years leftover fillets...but I felt and still feel guilt for my gluttony.

And I haven’t caught any but the odd one or two crappie since.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It is rather late in the year, but finally sat on a run last night. I probably won't have to do any more crappie fishing this year. But, I wouldn't mind sacking a few bass.
View attachment 77585

That's my favorite kind of fishing. When I was a kid my dad and I would stay out all night during crappie season.. school night or not. Haha

So are those pronounced croppy or crappy? I know you're from the messed up part of the state..

Status
Not open for further replies.