PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I like to fish but can't stand the taste of them. I'll catch them then release them.

I’m a big catch and release guy myself. I’ll keep some if I’m catching a lot and know that they’ll be eaten that evening or the next at the latest, or if a fishing partner wants them. I never freeze fish. I’m not against keeping fish, as long as it’s done wisely and according to the legal limits-which in my state are wide open and generous for the most part. I’ve talked to guys who have two coolers full of crappie for the freezer say, “we didn’t eat all of last years and now it’s freezer burned so we’ll throw it out and replace it this year...” That’s just a waste of life and resources.

Some of it is because cleaning fish is nasty to me, it’s hard to enjoy the fish when I just tore its’ pancreas out and the smell is still on my hands. And a big part of why I prefer fishing to hunting is that I can enjoy a fish through finding it, tricking it, fighting it, then take a picture of it and let it go back to its home-maybe a bit scared and tired, but alive and able to reproduce and make more fish, or if I choose the fish can provide me delicious dinner.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What beautiful pictures, that Halibut is my dream fish, never caught one, but can imagine the fight to get that big sucker on the boat.
Honestly most halibut fishing is like pulling up dead weight. Occasionally with bigger ones (75lbs +) you'll have them see the boat when they get close and go on a good run, but most of the time it's like pulling up an anvil with a head shake or two along the way. With really big ones it's hard work that can sometimes last the better part of an hour. You will have sore arms the next day for sure, hahaha.

They sure are delicious though. Particularly those in the 35-55lb range. The one in that pic weighed 103.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I caught halibut once.. On a public pier in Washington state. It was a blast, we caught em all afternoon.

Down here we call them flounder..
Hahaha, we actually have flounder up here as well. They'll float up and hit you in the legs sometimes bank fishing in Seward. They are super annoying when catching red salmon there, generally regarded as trash fish here. You occassionally scoop one up dipnetting for reds at the mouth of the Kenai as well.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Top two are from the first trip this year. 17 degrees and blowing, fighting wind and battling iced-up eyelets every ten casts, but we landed 6 on the day, including a nice little Dolly Varden. The rest are just a few fun ones from the last couple years with my pops and my fishing buddy.

View attachment 75229
View attachment 75230
View attachment 75231
View attachment 75232
View attachment 75233
View attachment 75234
View attachment 75235
View attachment 75236
View attachment 75237
View attachment 75238
I am not jealous, but I hope your waders start leaking.
Nice shots. And fish.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Hahaha, we actually have flounder up here as well. They'll float up and hit you in the legs sometimes bank fishing in Seward. They are super annoying when catching red salmon there, generally regarded as trash fish here. You occassionally scoop one up dipnetting for reds at the mouth of the Kenai as well.

Here flounder is a sought after fish.. Our restaurants will have flounder on the menu, but its actually whitefish or talipa. haha

But you guys have so much good fish to catch and eat, you gotta draw the line somewhere.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Here flounder is a sought after fish.. Our restaurants will have flounder on the menu, but its actually whitefish or talipa. haha

But you guys have so much good fish to catch and eat, you gotta draw the line somewhere.
Haha, yeah, between halibut, ling cod, black and grey cod, and multiple rockfish species flounder doesn't get much respect here.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I was 10 my grandmother made sure I got a start in fishing during back-to-back trips to Florida and Wisconsin. I caught fish. But with the exception of a two pound bass that I caught at 26, I caught very little else from then onward, and at this point don't plan to fish again. You see, since one is fishing, one aught catch fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.