PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Oh man! It would take me too long to even think about answering that question. I have a tackle box for bass. I have a tackle box for crappie, catfish and other fresh water fish. I have a tackle box for speckled trout (sea trout) and flounder. I have three tackle boxes for redfish (red drum) - one for live bait, one for artificial lures and one for spinner baits and spoons.

Back in my serious bass fishing days, I had up to 15 boxes on the boat at any given time, all for bass.

Now I usually carry a plastic shopping bag with a few six-packs and a pack of eagle claws. Sometimes I bring my license.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
So now Google will see that image, suggest ads based on that image, and I'm supposed to explain to my wife that it was because of auto-correct?
I prefer the chain stringers. I've had moccasins take my fish off of the corded ones while they were in the river. The chain ones tend to keep them from getting eaten while dangling in the water. And, if I am bringing in crappie, I'll take a few 5gallon buckets to toss them in, because I can sometimes bring home 30+ fish on a good day.
1617884446082.png

do these minnows work better than worms? Or just for different types of fish?
Minnows are just better for when the fish are feeding deeper in the water. Worms will work also. But, I find that crickets kicking and screaming on top of the water can drive a fish to come up for it. It just depends. Early and late in the season with cooler weather minnows are fun. Minnows are also essential if you are fishing for the stripped bass, but that is more of a sportsman target fish, not someone who is fishing for dinner.

Lure just mimic these bait critters, so you'd use them likewise, also pending weather and your target fish.

One time, I was out fishing in college with the old guy I knew from the grounds department. He was catching bream and then hooking them as bait, and we were pulling in huge bass. I was totally excited about this, till I found out that it was highly illegal. But, on a really slow day when all I am hooking is those small trash bream, I'll pull out one of the large hooks, and... think about breaking the law. puffy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Those alligator gar are can be huge! I recently watched a documentary about how they were blamed for attacking swimmers back in the day.
My dad bought a camp on the bank of the Neches river is SE Texas after I graduated from high school and my dad would set limb lines and a fishing lines for catfish on weekends. One weekend, he caught a gar that was almost 10-feet long. Fortunately, he had a gun in his boat to kill it. He had to tie the gar to the boat and drag it to his dock to get help getting it out of the water.

For those who don't know, Alligator Gar are edible. They are bony and you have to remove the flesh from the bones. In SE Texas and Louisiana they are mainly used for making garfish balls. I like them in a brown gravy but they are also good in a red gravy..

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Mike, from what I understand, you are just getting into fishing. My suggestion of artificial white grubs (black too) and artificial minnows makes fishing nice and simple while giving you a better than average chance of catching something. Live worms are better than artificial worms; you'll catch crappie, sunfish, bass, and pickerel / walleye. Are worms better than minnows? Depends on the time of day, the weather the day before and the day of fishing, where you are fishing, etc. Best to have the three bait options so you can switch out if you are not having any luck with one. Get the exact minnows I showed you in my other post IMO. There are other kinds with a different tail but they didn't produce for me. And here are the grubs (cheap too). You can find them at most locations; Canadian Tire, Sail, etc.

brecks-mt25_1-blan.jpg

1617903558427.png

Status
Not open for further replies.