PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
@mikethompson if you’re headed to Nippissisingsinsigiinsnipplesing...sing...get some spinnerbaits. They’re a v-shaped lure, one end has flashy spinning blades, the other has a “skirt” and a weighted hook. You tie it on in the center apex of the “v.” You can reel it in through weeds and stuff and it won’t get snagged much. Cast, keep the rod tip low and pointed straight at the lure and reel it in fairly slow.

They’re great baits for pike and bass, cheap and easy, simple and effective. If you’re in Canada, pike are everywhere and a cinch to catch. Even the kids, once they can cast effectively, can use them and when a fish hits...it hits.
Pike, they're a bit of a pain when it comes to unhooking the lure. Some people grip them around the eye socks to immobilize them, and others have griped between the gills and the gill plate. Not sure that either methods is good for the fish. I once caught a crappie and had a pike chop on it. I couldn't figure out why it was so difficult to reel in until I saw the pike. Got both fish right up to the boat and then the pike just opened it's mouth wide and released the crappie. Left me scratching my head!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Pike, they're a bit of a pain when it comes to unhooking the lure. Some people grip them around the eye socks to immobilize them, and others have griped between the gills and the gill plate. Not sure that either methods is good for the fish. I once caught a crappie and had a pike chop on it. I couldn't figure out why it was so difficult to reel in until I saw the pike. Got both fish right up to the boat and then the pike just opened it's mouth wide and released the crappie. Left me scratching my head!
Never grab them by the eye sockets unless you’re going to kill it and keep it. If they’re small, grab them behind the Gill plates, with your palm on their back. They’re slippery. The bigger ones, slip your hand under a gill plate (don’t touch the gills, or put your fingers in their teeth) and gently lift them by their jawbones.

2303E4B5-8424-40C4-9A1E-D978BF1A1A2F.jpegSee how my right hand (left in the pic) is in the Gill plate, but with my fingers curled towards the outside of the fish. You won’t get cut, or injure the fish, if you hold it that way.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
get some spinnerbaits. They’re a v-shaped lure, one end has flashy spinning blades, the other has a “skirt” and a weighted hook. You tie it on in the center apex of the “v.” You can reel it in through weeds and stuff and it won’t get snagged much. Cast, keep the rod tip low and pointed straight at the lure and reel it in fairly slow.

Thanks for the tip!

Is FLAD (fishing lure acquisition disorder) a worry?

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I salt water fish and once the captain leaves the dock he isn’t turning around for little stuff lol. With that in mind I always pack a few extra lighters and matches, a cheap cigar cutter, a few packs of butts and a few sticks. Beef jerky and pretzels, I eat the jerky and give the pretzels to whoever gets sick so they have something to “chum” over the sides with (fish do love it). Always spare hooks, swivels, small spool of leader line, the dreaded heavy bag of lead (fishing ocean recks), and all the stuff I need to make up new rigs on the fly. Depending on what I’m going out for the appropriate box of pre-made rigs. Jigs just in case and then the bait fish stuff like squid lures and stuff, if it swims by the boat then fresh bait is best lol. If I’m tuna fishing I bring gear for of course tuna but also shark poles and rigs (gotta get them outta the chum slick before they spoke the tuna), the squid and bait fishing stuff I mentioned, mahi-mahi poles and rigs. BEER and sandwiches, White Castle frozen burgers if it’s a 23hr trip (they really make those who are sea sick run away lmao)
Oh and I forgot food/drink cooler and then the fish cooler

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I salt water fish and once the captain leaves the dock he isn’t turning around for little stuff lol. With that in mind I always pack a few extra lighters and matches, a cheap cigar cutter, a few packs of butts and a few sticks. Beef jerky and pretzels, I eat the jerky and give the pretzels to whoever gets sick so they have something to “chum” over the sides with (fish do love it). Always spare hooks, swivels, small spool of leader line, the dreaded heavy bag of lead (fishing ocean recks), and all the stuff I need to make up new rigs on the fly. Depending on what I’m going out for the appropriate box of pre-made rigs. Jigs just in case and then the bait fish stuff like squid lures and stuff, if it swims by the boat then fresh bait is best lol. If I’m tuna fishing I bring gear for of course tuna but also shark poles and rigs (gotta get them outta the chum slick before they spoke the tuna), the squid and bait fishing stuff I mentioned, mahi-mahi poles and rigs. BEER and sandwiches, White Castle frozen burgers if it’s a 23hr trip (they really make those who are sea sick run away lmao)
Oh and I forgot food/drink cooler and then the fish cooler
Sounds fun. Never done any offshore fishing, only freshwater and inshore.

Status
Not open for further replies.