PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Mike, since your going to be fishing with your two young children in a boat, make it simple, you'll be busy. I would suggest hooks, sinkers and bobbers. Throw your line out and wait for a hit.

I’ve made most of these. Back in the 80’s I picked up a book on making lures. But, this whole box is my bass box. I mostly take this one when going out with some friends who have boats. Its much mire fun to ise lures when trolling the banks more quickly. It’s about as close to sporty as I get. But, I still eat the fish.
B06D9CD3-77E9-456A-8166-561DC490A8C8.jpeg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike, from what I understand, you are just getting into fishing. My suggestion of artificial white grubs (black too) and artificial minnows makes fishing nice and simple while giving you a better than average chance of catching something. Live worms are better than artificial worms; you'll catch crappie, sunfish, bass, and pickerel / walleye. Are worms better than minnows? Depends on the time of day, the weather the day before and the day of fishing, where you are fishing, etc. Best to have the three bait options so you can switch out if you are not having any luck with one. Get the exact minnows I showed you in my other post IMO. There are other kinds with a different tail but they didn't produce for me. And here are the grubs (cheap too). You can find them at most locations; Canadian Tire, Sail, etc.

View attachment 74305

View attachment 74306
Yup, just getting started.

I've got a rod and reel coming, some line, and just need a few more basics. As I will be heading out with the kids, I don't think I will have time to really fish, but would like to have the basics all there.

I'm heading up to Lake Nipissing in the summer hopefully when Covid dies down a bit.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Yup, just getting started.

I've got a rod and reel coming, some line, and just need a few more basics. As I will be heading out with the kids, I don't think I will have time to really fish, but would like to have the basics all there.

I'm heading up to Lake Nipissing in the summer hopefully when Covid dies down a bit.

That's a big lake and a good long drive.

Think about picking up some fishing gloves (Berkley). Getting jabbed with the spines from the sunfish is no fun.
Are you familiar with boating? That's a lot of open water, it might get pretty rough if the wind picks up suddenly.
Sometimes fishing near/under the dock can produce a lot of sunfish. Doesn't matter the size of fish, the kids will enjoy it.
Have you read up on where to fish? Going out and just dropping a line anywhere might result in a disappointing day.

Lake Nipissing was part of the old voyageur highway, for travel from Quebec City/Montreal and heading all points west and south into the US.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's a big lake and a good long drive.

With two young kids it might be very long indeed, but they are generally good on road trips.

Are you familiar with boating?

Nope, although I did just get my license. We will probably rent a boat one or two days and just troll around.

Have you read up on where to fish?

Not yet, but my son is super excited about catching something so I will have to catch at least one.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
A classic! Like something you would have found in the shed at the cottage. Part of the routine of fishing is fiddling with your fishing gear before you head out on the water, running through the check list and critically examining the rod, reel and lures for issues. When you are out on the water, you want to be fishing, not having to replace the line or cutting off frayed line, etc.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
A classic! Like something you would have found in the shed at the cottage. Part of the routine of fishing is fiddling with your fishing gear before you head out on the water, running through the check list and critically examining the rod, reel and lures for issues. When you are out on the water, you want to be fishing, not having to replace the line or cutting off frayed line, etc.

I love fishing with someone and it’s obvious the line has been on the spool for years. First cast and what appears to be a slinky is connecting the lure to the rod. When one needs to pull the rod approximately 97’ to take up slack, hook sets are few and far between!

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Every location is different in regards to fishing, but where I am here in western Maryland I particularly like the pink and white flukes for largemouth. I also like the Googan craws and this time of year the black and blue buzz baits and white and chartreuse buzz baits seem to be working for largemouth.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Fishing license!

Fun story, I once reported myself to the Alberta Fish and Wildlife for poaching. One year there was a mix-up with the F&W guide books, they posted the wrong start date for a few locations. One of which I happened to fish at regularly. So I got my guide book for the year, got my gear and headed out. Caught four Pike, snapped some pics and released em. A few days later I was in Canadian Tire looking at fishing gear when I noticed they had a new guide book on the counter. I asked why they changed the cover and the lady said it was a re-issue because they messed up some of the start dates. I open it up and sure enough, I had been out nearly a whole week wrote the legal start date for that particular area! I went home and called the Report a Poacher line. It caused some stir as I'm pretty sure I am now the first and only Canadian to have reported themselves. It worked out alright though because I made an honest mistake, which wouldn't have happened if they got the guide book printed right! So, not that I ever plan to use it, but I've got one get out of jail card with Alberta Fish and Wildlife.

I don't take much seriously, especially when it comes to laws, but fishing is the one thing that I will support and comply with regulations happily. Same thing with hunting, though I admit I have yet to shoot an animal with my blackpowder rifle. Hunting isn't like fishing where you can throw a line in and learn as you go. You better have the skill and knowledge to make a clean kill if you're going to be hunting animals. And I simply don't have that experience yet.

Oh, and one time I caught a Pike the size of a mid 90s Mazda Miata! True story.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
@mikethompson if you’re headed to Nippissisingsinsigiinsnipplesing...sing...get some spinnerbaits. They’re a v-shaped lure, one end has flashy spinning blades, the other has a “skirt” and a weighted hook. You tie it on in the center apex of the “v.” You can reel it in through weeds and stuff and it won’t get snagged much. Cast, keep the rod tip low and pointed straight at the lure and reel it in fairly slow.

They’re great baits for pike and bass, cheap and easy, simple and effective. If you’re in Canada, pike are everywhere and a cinch to catch. Even the kids, once they can cast effectively, can use them and when a fish hits...it hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.