PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
A rebranded lane 1q out of a big glass jar in a beer/cigarette store that has a walk in humidor. I do not still smoke it.

The first pipe tobacco I ever thoroughly enjoyed was Dunhill Nightcap. Haven't had a bowl of Nightcap in a year or two.

Reactions: WVOldFart

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
My first pipe experience was with a sampler pack with enough tobacco in each ziplock bag for one tiny bowl (very tiny bowl I might add, think those cheap Chinese knockoff corncobs where your pinky barly fits). I nearly gave up until I got to the last bag which contained Squadron Leader, this bag was abit underfilled so I only got a few puffs from it but I was extremely intrigued, this was nothing like the virginia or candy tasting aromatics that was in the sampler pack.

So I returned to the store and after some talking I bought my first real tin, Nightcap together with a real Missouri corncob pipe and well, the rest is as they say, history.

I smoke all kinds of tobacco nowadays but Nightcap is up there among my top three blends.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
actually to broaden the subject my first tobacco at all I purchased where clove cigs. Filterless ones in a tin. Forget what brand but it's the one you're thinking of.
You would think that there would be more, if any, clove pipe tobaccos. The clove cigarettes are popular, but I can only think of maybe one or two tobaccos that even have a small amount of clove. One was Iwan Ries King's Oriental and it is no longer in production.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Captain Black White for me, only because I'd seen my grandfather smoke it. I haven't bought any in years but I'm sure there is a pouch lying around somewhere that is still smokeable because of all the PG it's soaked in.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Looking back through email records it appears to be Wilke No. 515 (Rathbone Blend) and Wilke Lizzie Blood Red at the same time and was just over a year ago. Answer as to both is yes!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Back in 1961..worked at a pipe shop and it was a blend that the owner blended himself...no idea what it was, but it was delicious...sort of an aro, I think.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Mine was Middle Earth Blend from thepiperoom.com. A somewhat goopy raspberry (and vanilla?) aromatic.

Anybody remember that one? They changed the name to King Arthur blend later. It was actually pretty good, I have a couple of bowls left that I can’t bring myself to smoke because I like to pop the jar and smell it from time to time for nostalgia’s sake.

My first tins were GLP Abington, and Ashton (revival) Original Oldchurch. I think they were about the only 2 that the first B&M I went into had.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I smoked Charatan First Bowl a German copy of EMP.This was when you could no longer get EMP it’s identical IMO.I still smoke my stash but I now buy EMP because for me it’s cheaper.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The Original version of Peterson Sherlock Holmes, (which I believe was blended by either Gallagher’s or Murray’s).
Don’t smoke much of the STG version.
Also remember buying those 1lb bags of Super Value Vanilla Black Cavendish at the local Drugstore. They used to have a part of the aisle dedicated to pipe tobacco, pegs of Super Value, a few shelves of the old mainstays: Carter Hall, Kentucky Club ?, Prince Albert, Captain Black, Walnut, Middleton Cherry, Sir Walter Raleigh, etc Plus some Cobs, a few Kaywoodie’s and pipe cleaners.
Then it all got relegated to behind the glass, then behind the register, and now has disappeared.?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Not counting the Borkum Riff I bought when I was 12 or 13 to put in a pipe I borrowed from my father, my first tin was some kind of Ashton blend. Maybe 6 bowls later I tried a tin of Escudo and that was the blend that opened up the pipe tobacco world to me. I was a big cigar guy and I was skeptical that pipe tobacco could match up to my aged cigars., but Escudo blew me away and I was hooked.

Now 20 something years later I still smoke Escudo, I don't smoke any Ashton blends and I haven't smoked a cigar in years.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The Original version of Peterson Sherlock Holmes, (which I believe was blended by either Gallagher’s or Murray’s).
Don’t smoke much of the STG version.
Also remember buying those 1lb bags of Super Value Vanilla Black Cavendish at the local Drugstore. They used to have a part of the aisle dedicated to pipe tobacco, pegs of Super Value, a few shelves of the old mainstays: Carter Hall, Kentucky Club ?, Prince Albert, Captain Black, Walnut, Middleton Cherry, Sir Walter Raleigh, etc Plus some Cobs, a few Kaywoodie’s and pipe cleaners.
Then it all got relegated to behind the glass, then behind the register, and now has disappeared.?
I remember it well.