PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Does anyone here possibly know where I could get my hands on one or two tins, or possibly even more of some Rattray's Exotic Orange/Passion??? I'll take what I can get really. And iv got a good little selection, mostly aromatic blend. Some plum pudding barrel aged and old Kentucky dark fired as well, both unsmoked that I don't like just from the smell, if anyone might be interested in a trade??? I have spent weeks on end trying to get my hands on even a tin of Rattrays Exotic Passion with no luck at all. Except paying an arm and a leg to import from over sears... I'm really beaten down and sad about the whole ordeal. I live just outside of Memphis Tennessee, and there are no BnM Pipe Tobacco stores for hours in every direction, so that route is out of the question... all I can do is order in , and in that regard, I'm not getting very lucky.

Any tips, advice, or a silent dinner in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I've no tips, advice, or silent dinner (what?). Just wanted to let you know that I'm jealous of your moniker. It rises to the level of Baron Von Dudemeister. Wish I thought of it first! ?

Apr 20, 2020
Hernando, MS
Sorry, I've no tips, advice, or silent dinner (what?). Just wanted to let you know that I'm jealous of your moniker. It rises to the level of Baron Von Dudemeister. Wish I thought of it first! ?

?that was supposed to be "silent finger"?

Yeah It was the first name that popped into my head so I went with it.
Arangocigar, the main tobacco supplier pretty much for all of America has it but I'm not a retailer, so it's just that far out of reach to me i guess.... just makes me mad knowing someone has it but can't let me get some...! I have never had the pleasure of trying it, and I have looked every day, sometime for hours on end, to no avail. So I thought, "Hey! Maybe I'll join a forum and someone else else is sure to be able to steer me in the right direction!" .......BuuuUUUUuuuut...... ??????

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
If you find some for sale please let us know, I just want 2 tins to try out. It's the only blend outside of my regular rotation of DTM blends I'm interested in.

Reactions: ofafeather

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Or, Aromatics: Advance To The Next Level

Anyone who has tolerated my blathering knows my leanings are more towards the non-aromatic side. Several months ago, I decided that the growing pile of topped blends in my cellar finally deserved some attention.

Rattray's Exotic Passion, formerly Exotic Orange has a good reputation with the many of you and I have had a tin staring at me for some time. I finally managed to neutralize my aro pipe well enough to give the blend a fair shake.

View attachment 21494

Produced by Kohlhase & Kopp, the blend contains black cavendish, burley and golden Virginia, easily observed as a melange of tan, brown and black bits.

View attachment 21495

The tin note is mildly floral and orange zest. The insert proclaims orange, mango, passion fruit and maple. The orange is apparent, the mango, passion fruit and floral notes intermingle and, to me, any maple lags way behind.

Inside the tin, the tobacco is in a cellophane bag, taped shut but not "sealed". That said, the contents were barely moist, not a hint of crispiness. Not as dry as I prefer for my non-aros but likely perfect for this blend, as aromatics reportedly lose character when over-dried.

View attachment 21496

I loaded the Savinelli 101EX Estella, a big, lumpy bastard, and incinerated the top layer. As many have said, black tea with orange flavoring is the clear first impression.

View attachment 21498

The mango/passion fruit slides in behind the orange, adding a bit of tartness and additional dimension to the fruit-fest. These play very well with the natural citrus inclinations of the Virginia.

Meanwhile, the burley/cavendish duo counter with a caramel or brown sugar-like essence that may or may not include the alleged maple and burley nuttiness.

This is where I reach the limits of my discernment. I can't dissect all of the "non-fruit" flavors, but I know they are complimentary and I like them.

The almost creamy side of those last mentioned team up with the orange and citrus to almost evoke the old "cream-cycle pop" taste experience, without overdoing it.

One dab of the pipe cleaner at the 2/3 mark wards off a minor gurgle. Not goopy. Light and flavorful, little nicotine to speak of and one good relight at the last quarter to get to the finish line.

It gives a nice volume of smoke that is easygoing, fun to retrohale and can be a focal point or a background experience as you wish.

If you like aromatics, or need a well behaved one to explore the genre, Exotic Passion will serve you well.

Verdict: GET SOME!

View attachment 21493
Thank you Jay.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I purchased one tin July 2018 from TPC. I immediately put it in two mason jars and ended up giving one jar away for a Secret Santa gift, mainly because like I said earlier...I get a slight tongue bite from it. I like it, rarely smoke it though.

Also, L.J. Peretti's Thanksgiving Day also gives me a slight tongue bite. I don't know why. Exotic Passion and Thanksgiving Day are the only two blends in the 30 or so blends in my rotation that give me a minor tongue bite. So I rarely smoke them.

Apr 20, 2020
Hernando, MS
By the way pipe smokers, (please let me know if I'm breaking any rulesby asking) I have two items I bought, opened and smelled, and realized they weren't for me. One is Seattle Pipe Clubs' Plumb Pudding Barrel Aged. The other, a tin of Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. If anyone is interested in a trade for something in the aromatic families, please let me know. I did own them, but none of the tobacco was even pulled to try it. Didn't think the barrel reserve plumb pudding would be that diff from the original.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Nice review. Exotic Passion seems to be very popular on this forum.

"Blossom Temptation" is another one by Rattray that I like but it seems to get little attention.
Speaking of Blossom Temptation, I now have a tin of it and I like it. The flavoring isn't as "heavy" as Exotic Passion in my opinion but it is there minus the chemical/cough syrup aftertaste that some cherry blends leave.

I was surprised to see no mention of Blossom Temptation on tobacco reviews.

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.