PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Or, Aromatics: Advance To The Next Level

Anyone who has tolerated my blathering knows my leanings are more towards the non-aromatic side. Several months ago, I decided that the growing pile of topped blends in my cellar finally deserved some attention.

Rattray's Exotic Passion, formerly Exotic Orange has a good reputation with the many of you and I have had a tin staring at me for some time. I finally managed to neutralize my aro pipe well enough to give the blend a fair shake.

1583469662425.png

Produced by Kohlhase & Kopp, the blend contains black cavendish, burley and golden Virginia, easily observed as a melange of tan, brown and black bits.

1583469686738.png

The tin note is mildly floral and orange zest. The insert proclaims orange, mango, passion fruit and maple. The orange is apparent, the mango, passion fruit and floral notes intermingle and, to me, any maple lags way behind.

Inside the tin, the tobacco is in a cellophane bag, taped shut but not "sealed". That said, the contents were barely moist, not a hint of crispiness. Not as dry as I prefer for my non-aros but likely perfect for this blend, as aromatics reportedly lose character when over-dried.

1583470311998.png

I loaded the Savinelli 101EX Estella, a big, lumpy bastard, and incinerated the top layer. As many have said, black tea with orange flavoring is the clear first impression.

1583470525028.png

The mango/passion fruit slides in behind the orange, adding a bit of tartness and additional dimension to the fruit-fest. These play very well with the natural citrus inclinations of the Virginia.

Meanwhile, the burley/cavendish duo counter with a caramel or brown sugar-like essence that may or may not include the alleged maple and burley nuttiness.

This is where I reach the limits of my discernment. I can't dissect all of the "non-fruit" flavors, but I know they are complimentary and I like them.

The almost creamy side of those last mentioned team up with the orange and citrus to almost evoke the old "cream-cycle pop" taste experience, without overdoing it.

One dab of the pipe cleaner at the 2/3 mark wards off a minor gurgle. Not goopy. Light and flavorful, little nicotine to speak of and one good relight at the last quarter to get to the finish line.

It gives a nice volume of smoke that is easygoing, fun to retrohale and can be a focal point or a background experience as you wish.

If you like aromatics, or need a well behaved one to explore the genre, Exotic Passion will serve you well.

Verdict: GET SOME!

1583469617279.jpeg

Jan 8, 2013
Nicely reviewed, Jay. I love the stuff, but since it can be damn hard to acquire, I only smoke it on occasion, dedicated in the 2019 Peterson Pipe Of The Year. That pipe smokes it wonderfully! What I really like about the blend is the fact that you can taste the toppings, but yet the natural tobacco flavors are not lost. Truly a fantastic blend.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Nice review. Exotic Passion seems to be very popular on this forum.

"Blossom Temptation" is another one by Rattray that I like but it seems to get little attention.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It is indeed a good aromatic which is probably why it's so hard to get. My taste experience differs from yours in that I get more of a honeyed mandarin orange taste and not so much of the other fruit. That being said, I've been fortunate enough to buy at least one tin a year.

You don't want to leave it in that cellophane bag for too long as the tobacco will dry out. I jar mine immediately after buying and don't let it get as dried as you describe. That might also account for the different flavor profiles.

It is about one of the best tobacco forward aromatics out there, IMO. I tried the Holger Danske orange and the Planta California Dreaming, but I could never get any taste out of them. This one is pretty good, for an aromatic. I think HU used to have a Virginia flake that had an orange ginger casing. I can't recall the name, but Woodsroad turned me onto it back when it was easier to obtain.

But, this is about as close to a perfect orange balanced with tobacco aromatic out there.

@BROBS are you sure you aren't confusing it with another aro?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Haha. I quickly discovered that orange aro's aren't my thing and passed it off to Brobs as a bonus item in a trade where he was looking for "good aromatics." I might have forgotten to mention that I rehydrated it with a spritz of strawberry Kool-Aid before sending it off.

Kidding, Brobs. No Kool-Aid was applied. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.