PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Balkan Sobranie gets a lot of chat because it is the original "Balkan". Other companies started trying to capture that. The blend is not, however, the same as it was in the early 1970s. I smoked it then, and there is no comparison. I bought two tins several years ago; smoked one, traded the other, said "Never again." I find that Hearth and Home White Knight is very close to what I recall the old Sobranie as being.
No, it's not the same thing. The Sobranie product used Syrian, which has a very different flavor than Cyprian. I did some back to back comparisons a few years ago between the Germain's version, some 35 year old Balkan Sobranie, and White Knight and the White Knight was much closer to the old blend.
But most smokers haven't had the opportunity to smoke the original Balkan Sobranie and 759, and thus can't have any reference point, which is just as well. Enjoy this version on its own merits.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Funny, the 53. It appended itself when I typed sablebrush...(and did it just now, but I deleted the number.) Anyway, happy birthday!

I smoked the original in the 60's, early 70's, but can't compare it to anything, mostly because of my inability to remember tastes for 50 years.

Reactions: bent1 and dcon

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Had some White Knight and Blackhouse. Couldn't finish either as I was getting a saccharine aftertaste from both.
I am starting to get the impression that you’re a contrarian.

Of course, now you can’t get out of it. If you agree, then you’re a contrarian. If you disagree, then you’re also a contrarian. :LOL:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am starting to get the impression that you’re a contrarian.

Of course, now you can’t get out of it. If you agree, then you’re a contrarian. If you disagree, then you’re also a contrarian. :LOL:
Neither actually. The only Blend of Russ's that I can stand is Angler's Dream.

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr
Oct 7, 2016
No, it's not the same thing. The Sobranie product used Syrian, which has a very different flavor than Cyprian. I did some back to back comparisons a few years ago between the Germain's version, some 35 year old Balkan Sobranie, and White Knight and the White Knight was much closer to the old blend.
But most smokers haven't had the opportunity to smoke the original Balkan Sobranie and 759, and thus can't have any reference point, which is just as well. Enjoy this version on its own merits.
I believe that White Knight = Match B.S.O.S.M. And that Blackhouse = Match B.S. 759. Even if I am wrong, they are worth trying.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I find 3-6 months in a jar really do help a lot of tobaccos or at least help my palate appreciate them more. To me this allows the orientals in Balkan Sobranie to really blossom and there is a certain flavor they give that I have not found elsewhere. If it is the tobacco used or the way it is treated I do not know.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Oh, and I have never smoked the original in any of its forms. Blackhouse is fine, don't think I have tried White Knight yet. I do consider Fleet Commander in the Marquee line up a hidden gem though.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Is it true that the first run of the re-release had Syrian Latakia? I thought I read that here. I have some tins of the first run and can’t tell if it’s the age that has mellowed out the Latakia or if it is Syrian. I get that “wine” taste instead of the campfire/smoky taste I get in newer tins.

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Oh, and I have never smoked the original in any of its forms. Blackhouse is fine, don't think I have tried White Knight yet. I do consider Fleet Commander in the Marquee line up a hidden gem though.

White Knight is my favorite of all in this Balkan Sobranie “style”, whatever that’s worth. I think it blows BS away and is like 11 bucks a tin and always available.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is it true that the first run of the re-release had Syrian Latakia? I thought I read that here. I have some tins of the first run and can’t tell if it’s the age that has mellowed out the Latakia or if it is Syrian. I get that “wine” taste instead of the campfire/smoky taste I get in newer tins.
If you read it here it cannot possibly be wrong!!

Regardless, aging will change the flavor profile.

Reactions: kwg116

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV

Side note, the wine taste in HH Vintage Syrian intensified in the tins I have, dated 2006 - 2008. Cracked open a tin from 2007 last fall, wine taste was prominent.

Reactions: kwg116 and jpmcwjr

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Well, I’m mostly a beer consumer, but I’d say a semi sweet red wine. That’s as close as i can account.

Status
Not open for further replies.