PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Upon opening the tin I am greeted by the usual smokiness of a latakia heavy english blend. The latakia is definitely the meat, while the Virginia and Oriental are the potatoes. The first 1/3ed of the bowl was a latakia bomb, made my nose tingle a little uncomfortably. But as I got down to the 2/3ed of the bowl I started noticing the earthiness of the Virginia a bit more. The combination of smokey latakia and earthy taste of the Virginia merged very nicely. It's certainly a robust and enjoyable smoke. But the bottom got a little sour on me. Cant really account for why that is, its almost a hay like taste but certainly a bit more sour.

Overall It was a fine smoke for the most part. I've had better, and this blend seems a little over hyped. But its robust, but also smooth and enjoyable.

Update: I turned the bottom of my bowl with my spade and relit... Another latakia bomb! My eyes are watering and my nose tingles lol. I still have a sour hay aftertaste.

Reactions: vates

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Balkan Sobranie gets a lot of chat because it is the original "Balkan". Other companies started trying to capture that. The blend is not, however, the same as it was in the early 1970s. I smoked it then, and there is no comparison. I bought two tins several years ago; smoked one, traded the other, said "Never again." I find that Hearth and Home White Knight is very close to what I recall the old Sobranie as being.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For you, it sounds like the Lat was overdone, and we do hear an awful lot about this blend. It must be just right for some people. I like Lat best when it is like well-used hot peppers in food, so it brings up the flavors of the other leaf, doesn't bury them. I'd guess you have better blends in your future.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Had some White Knight and Blackhouse. Couldn't finish either as I was getting a saccharine aftertaste from both.

I had some Balkan Sobranie from the 80s, and it was amazing. Went home and popped a tin of Whiteknight I had. I got a bad taste from the tobacco; there were some similarities, but it was not the same. To be fair, the original Sobranie had 30+ years of age on it.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I had some Balkan Sobranie from the 80s, and it was amazing. Went home and popped a tin of Whiteknight I had. I got a bad taste from the tobacco; there were some similarities, but it was not the same. To be fair, the original Sobranie had 30+ years of age on it.

I just ordered some whiteknight yesterday. I'm excited, I heard it was as close as anything got to the original, which I never had the privilege to try myself.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I just ordered some whiteknight yesterday. I'm excited, I heard it was as close as anything got to the original, which I never had the privilege to try myself.

It is similar, but I personally got a bad aftertaste from it. I only had one bowl, so I’m gonna give it another go. I think I got a bit spoiled from the original.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Upon opening the tin I am greeted by the usual smokiness of a latakia heavy english blend. The latakia is definitely the meat, while the Virginia and Oriental are the potatoes. The first 1/3ed of the bowl was a latakia bomb, made my nose tingle a little uncomfortably. But as I got down to the 2/3ed of the bowl I started noticing the earthiness of the Virginia a bit more. The combination of smokey latakia and earthy taste of the Virginia merged very nicely. It's certainly a robust and enjoyable smoke. But the bottom got a little sour on me. Cant really account for why that is, its almost a hay like taste but certainly a bit more sour.

Overall It was a fine smoke for the most part. I've had better, and this blend seems a little over hyped. But its robust, but also smooth and enjoyable.

Update: I turned the bottom of my bowl with my spade and relit... Another latakia bomb! My eyes are watering and my nose tingles lol. I still have a sour hay aftertaste.
Good short review/observation. Give it a bit of time and it will grow on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.