PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is ridiculous. I am sick. But I love BF and have got to have it. You hear, none for you! All for me.
Yeah, but do you have these? :mrgreen:
img_20160825_110539.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
ready to help any of those who need a helping hand
Yeah, that's you all over, cc. NEVER let it be said that you're not the ultimate altruist, ever ready to sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others. :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After all this talk about Black Frigate and all the pirate ships and cannon kabooms appearing under members' posts, I finally decided to give this one a go. It's a nice blend. The tin I have will last me a good long while as I'm not a big consumer of latakia blends, but it's a very nice blend.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's you all over, cc. NEVER let it be said that you're not the ultimate altruist, ever ready to sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others.
Aye, me mother always taught me that if another needs help, then lend them a hand, and if'n he be needin' to spend money, you help him with that too, and if'n he has more'n he needs, help reduce his portion to somethin' more manageable...wait, maybe some of that might have been instruction from the Cap'n prior to pilferin' and plunderin' ships... :rofl:
I finally decided to give this one a go. It's a nice blend.
BOOM! All canons fire! Cap'n we just landed another! Glad you like it Jesse. Every time I venture away from it for the purpose of trying something new and when I come back to it, it's just as good if not better than before I left. I just really love the depth to it. I'm a big fan of dark and spiced rums though, so it kind of matches my personality. I love those deep, rich flavors. It's why I love porter's and stouts, it's why I love port and pretty much anything with a rich and bold flavor.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Agreed 100% on all the nice words said about BF. Additionally, it's probably the easiest to pack and smoke of any blend I've ever tried. I dry it about 10-15 minutes, and it's the only blend I can routinely smoke all the way down to ash on just one light.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the folks over at C&D do it right. One of the many reasons if I develop a certain love for any one blender in particular, it might just be C&D. I just love how easy they are to smoke. You don't have to worry if it dries out too much because to be perfectly honest, I let some dry out waaaaaay too much a month or so ago and it was crispy. I'm talking about crunchy-to-the-bone. To the point that I was sure the whole bowl was going to go up in a massive 3-alarm fire rush, but nope. It crunched all the way into the bowl, lit like a dream and smoked almost all the way down to ash on one light. Had the same flavor as when I dried some for about 10 minutes and was still pliant. I have a tough choice to make between Maltese Falcon and Black Frigate most days because I love them both. Today will most certainly be a BF day. Drying some out right now as I type.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Thinking of trying BF. Does it taste like an aro?
That's a hard question to answer, as it depends on what you'd say an aro tastes like. I will say that lots of devout non-aro smokers still love BF. I can taste the rum, but the predominant flavors are the constituent tobaccos.

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Somewhere in the dark abyss
Chasing Embers those are some nice tins! Glad to see we are getting more to try BF, C&D better make sure they keep this in stock!

Carolina churchwarden how long do you usually set yours out to dry? I have tried the 10-15 minute dry time which was good but last night I was in a hurry so rubbed out and did the automatic pack and light. I didn't notice much difference and it tasted just as good with no issues of burnout, I think I had to relight only once if even that.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
needin' to spend money, you help him with that too, and if'n he has more'n he needs, help reduce his portion
Y'mama trained you up right, bro', 's all I've got to say. :)
Jesse, you're always one of the more sober types, & totally honestly there are more than a few times when I visualize you more sensible ones getting more than a tad bored with the tedious "humor" we lay out about the stuff. I'm glad you tried it, & even more so that you liked it. :) You can probably see now why the total package of it is a trigger for the contingent of crazies who're kind of "Dartmouth" about it: "It's a small ship, but there are those who love it."
Bill

Jan 8, 2013
"It's a small ship, but there are those who love it."
Yes... we all moved to port side to watch two whales... ahem doing that thing... ahem... two whales making friendly, and we nearly capsized. It was Bill's idea.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Carolina churchwarden how long do you usually set yours out to dry?
Well, I usually set it out about 10-15 minutes before I'm ready to fill my bowl, but sometimes have gotten busy at work and it became more like 30 minutes, but like you say, it doesn't take too much. When it was a fresh tin, I let it dry a little longer because it was more moist, but as it dried out a little more in the tin I ended up jarring it because it was almost to the point of too dry in the cake. Now all I do it pinch off a hunk, sprinkle it out and about 10 or 15 minutes is plenty.
I have loaded a bowl one day after drying some and forgot about it completely due to work getting crazy then just wanted to go home. It was waiting for me the next afternoon and when I struck it up it was like wildfire and dry to the bone, but still smoked like a dream. I swear, you can mistreat it something awful and she's very forgiving to you. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I really never dry it. Just break off a chunk, rub it out, and gravity fill. I've loved this one for nearly twenty years, and next year I may open one of those metal tins.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It was Bill's idea
Look, I TOLD y'all up front it was hornographic. Ain't my fault if you're all a bunch of preverts. And here I was just about to compliment your Slash chapeau. I'm gonna sic the unicorn on you after I dose him with some more cleaning fluid. Tpft.

Jan 8, 2013
Look, I TOLD y'all up front it was hornographic. Ain't my fault if you're all a bunch of preverts. And here I was just about to compliment your Slash chapeau. I'm gonna sic the unicorn on you after I dose him with some more cleaning fluid. Tpft.
Oh no need. I actually found it quite educational. They (the whales)seemed to be enjoying themselves anyway, and of course it reminded me of McClelland's tin art. So, other than getting a face full of sea water.... and whatever else was in it with them two whales doing what they were doing, it was a splendid sight! :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You should be good then. Was just wondering how much of a rum hit you got from the Navy Flakes.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey Embers
You said you like to gravity feed BF right? Do you punch it down at all or just leave it really loose?
I’m absolutely lovin BF but I think I packed it a little too much. Lots of relights. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hey Embers

You said you like to gravity feed BF right? Do you punch it down at all or just leave it really loose?
I fill the bowl and tap it against my knuckle to settle it, but no more than that. When I need to tamp I only use the weight of the tamper to push down the ash without placing pressure on the pack. Skip to 1:45 in this video to the cube cut section. I use the same technique with BF.
https://youtu.be/OP5MjK8KS7U

Status
Not open for further replies.