PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve had several, including a few GT500s, Roush, and Saleen, but my favorite was an ‘87 GT w/T-tops. It certainly wasn’t the most powerful or fastest- not even close, but I’ve always loved that car. Soooooo… I vote for fox 4 eyes ?

Reactions: JOHN72

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Ford ruined Volvo, so I wouldn't buy one newer than 1998. They screwed with the engine, screwed with the frame, and brought in a host of buggy computer components that create more problems than they solve. I have heard they kind of turned it around a little in 2008, then sent it down the crapper again a couple years later. A friend who is a dedicated Volvo mechanic did say 2008 vehicles seemed to be the bright spot in an otherwise-dismal decline. I had two Volvos and regret not keeping the 98 V70 wagon.

Dodge Charger >> Ford Mustang all day every day. Unless you're looking at a 60s Mustang, quit porking around and buy the cream of the crop in muscle cars.

Reactions: JOHN72

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
My wife is very happy with her XC40, but I’m a rag top guy. For decades I was utterly indifferent to what I drove. Now I’m not and I drive what makes me happy. Provided you can deal with the inevitable maintenance issues on a 40 year old car you should do the same.

There ought to be a standard binding release incorporated into threads like these. Suitably wrapped up in legalese it would basically say “people who solicit advice from strangers online indemnify them against any and all bad outcomes”.

I'm going to guess by the prices listed, that the Mustang has not been rebuilt. If I was in love with the design, and you wanted a project, that might be a good one, depending on how well it was cared for. But, for an everyday driver... there are a lot more choices out there that makes more practical sense. You'd most likely be relying on Uber and friends to get you to work from time to time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a bit of cash, looking at a new car.

I can drop a grand next payday and get a 2010 Volvo s40 or I can wait and save a bit for a 1980 Mustang 5.0 LX in mint condition for twelve grand. Three grand more than the Volvo and financing would have to wait three months.

I'm a fox body guy, owned a 91 convertible with the V6 pre-covid and really wish I still had it.

I came here to ask the opinion of professional pipe smokers about this important decision. I could be driving a Volvo in two weeks or a neck snapping hot rod in two months.

Thoughts? Comments? Pictures of whatever you erroneously believe is hotter than a fox body Mustang?

Cheers.
Get the new car.

plus a 1980 mustang is uglier than optimus prime’s dick.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have owned a Volvo and a Saab. I will never own a Swedish car ever again. Don't do it. Please don't do it.
They are honestly horrible pieces of shit. My buddy had a brand new Volvo that was in the dealer for service seemed like damn near every week.

so take your 12 grand and get a car that isn’t a piece of shit. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The two are such separate vehicles, it's not really a choice, more of a decision. The pony is a hobby car, and at that age, comes with full time maintenance and iffy dependability. The Volvo is reliable and dependable, but expensive for comparable vehicles you could choose. I wouldn't choose either, but between the two, I'd go for the Volvo for more transportation and far longer service. Nothing against the Mustang, but that's hobby and not so much a ride.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I kind of enjoy pontificating about cars. I just drive commuter four-bangers, but even these little machines interest me, and I often read car magazines. I'm dubious I'll ever use one as my ride, but the whole electric vehicle discussion interests me, including the historical electric cars in the nineteen-teens and twenties -- Studebaker electric and so forth, mostly for city use before rural electrification. I started learning car brands almost as soon as I could talk.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Well, it was kind of a loaded question. I'm getting a Mustang. Probably not the 12k one because that one is mint and I'd hate to take it apart and change it up. However there are a few cheaper ones out there that I wouldn't mind tearing the interior out of and doing up like an English speedster. Plus I think I want it to be hot pink.

I more or less was just smoking a bowl and thinking "what would my peers think". I have perused the comments and found them sufficient. I thank everyone for participating in my rhetorical question.

To tell the truth I was never a Mustang guy at all... Until I bought one! I don't even think I'd go for a non fox body either. But these little cars just turned my crank real hard. I used to drive all over BC in mine, for pennies on the dollar too. Inline 4 on that one was a gas-sipper. Surprisingly agile too for such a tiny motor. If only Ford made a tougher inline 4 you could really get some juice out of them. I've seen them with turbos and they'll beat most V8s in a sprint. But since it's a Ford I4 and not a Honda you can only win that sprint once or twice before it does a Pinto impression. The other good thing about the non-V8 Mustangs is that they typically have better frames after all these years since there wasn't much horsepower twisting things around. I'm actually looking at a 91 LX hatchback that is someone's current daily. So there is a good chance in a few days I'll be posting pictures...

Anyways yeah. Thanks for participating, even though I didn't see anyone sharing their neck snapping hotrods...

Status
Not open for further replies.