PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
They also claim to absorb 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar from the smoke stream, as tested by independent laboratories." I know that was two separate university labs.
I wonder what tests charcoal has undergone and what results ?
I love evidence based practice. But, the claim in the pipesmagazine blog is not sourced, a google search returns the blog post. Pub-med does not produce any articles whatsoever related to tobacco with pipe and filter in the title.
Does anyone have a source for this claim?

Reactions: Akoni808

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Check out the above-linked article, fishman ;) Meerschaum buttons are a good option, I use them regularly in a couple pipes with weird geometry.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I love evidence based practice. But, the claim in the pipesmagazine blog is not sourced, a google search returns the blog post. Pub-med does not produce any articles whatsoever related to tobacco with pipe and filter in the title.
The source was some (likely outdated) Savinelli literature about their product, not a white paper, and is still extant if you care to continue your searching; it was, of course, meant more than a little tongue-in-cheek in keeping with the tone of the article, but perhaps I should've made that more explicit. Again, I reference you to the doctors that used to shill for cigs. I should hope nobody would hold some guy who writes fluff for an online magazine to be an authority on anything!

Or this gem that's been scrubbed from the ewetoobs: Let's Never Forget—Congressional Hearing 1978- Doctors & Scientist shilling for Tobacco Companies - https://www.bitchute.com/video/AsmdARurh9D1/

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I agree with all of the above sound advice and commentary. I would only add that you have to try different filters with each pipe. I have tried to switch to 6mm charcoal filters for my savinelli's and found that the balsa works best in the 2614 (full bent) while the charcoal works best in the 128 (straight). Also its possible to get two bowls out of balsa but not a good idea with charcoal as mentioned above. Savinelli has info on their studies on their site somewhere. The balsa filters 66% of tar and nicotine. Charcoal which is newer and blocks presumably more. But that really only matters if you inhale into lungs. Otherwise its just to block dottle and ash into mouth (imho). I don't have a 9mm pipe. Best of Luck in your own studies !
I wonder how much smoke actually passes through the balsa wood in a real life scenario to take that much nicotine and tar out. When I smoke with the savinelli 6mm charcoal filters, I still notice the nicotine and I would consider myself a nicotine heavy weight.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I originally read it on the Savinelli website; IIRC, one source was an American University maybe UNC Chapel Hill and the other in Sweden or Holland ??? It was done when they were first deciding to introduce them.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Can't find original on Savinelli research but did find a reference on another site:

"According to tests by the EURATOM Research Center of Ispra, Italy and by Chemical & Environmental Technology Inc. Research Center in Cary, North Carolina, the filter has the ability to absorb up to 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar contained in the pipe tobacco without altering the flavor. This makes the Savinelli Convertible Balsa System ideal for those who wish to cut down on their nicotine or tar intake without sacrificing the flavor and enjoyment of pipe smoking."

From: Dry Systems Compared: Peterson vs Savinelli - https://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?p=4985

Reactions: Piping Abe

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Can't find original on Savinelli research but did find a reference on another site:

"According to tests by the EURATOM Research Center of Ispra, Italy and by Chemical & Environmental Technology Inc. Research Center in Cary, North Carolina, the filter has the ability to absorb up to 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar contained in the pipe tobacco without altering the flavor. This makes the Savinelli Convertible Balsa System ideal for those who wish to cut down on their nicotine or tar intake without sacrificing the flavor and enjoyment of pipe smoking."

From: Dry Systems Compared: Peterson vs Savinelli - https://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?p=4985

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
I originally read it on the Savinelli website; IIRC, one source was an American University maybe UNC Chapel Hill and the other in Sweden or Holland ??? It was done when they were first deciding to introduce them.
I see this on their website under FAQ, Savinelli does not provide a source document to derive method or data.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

I see this on their website under FAQ, Savinelli does not provide a source document to derive method or data.
The Internet is not a good source for detailed research as what exists on it today might be gone tomorrow and this site isn't for detailed research however I have listed a source that mentions the actual studies. I'm sure if you write to them they can provide you with a copy of the actual lab reports for a fee.

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
The Internet is not a good source for detailed research as what exists on it today might be gone tomorrow and this site isn't for detailed research however I have listed a source that mentions the actual studies. I'm sure if you write to them they can provide you with a copy of the actual lab reports for a fee.

I am not IT inclined

Respectfully,
The internet is the primary tool used by modern researchers in materials and medical science.
Data speaks for itself, claims of efficacy should be sourced. The scientific efficacy of a filter is based upon fact as derived from a credible source document using the scientific method. There isn't an artistic license to this.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Respectfully,
The internet is the primary tool used by modern researchers in materials and medical science.
Data speaks for itself, claims of efficacy should be sourced. The scientific efficacy of a filter is based upon fact as derived from a credible source document using the scientific method. There isn't an artistic license to this.
The second quote of mine to which you replied is taken out of context and its use seems to violate one of the general rules of discussion on this site.

As for "claims of efficacy should be sourced", that's an opinion. The author Ken Godbee in the article cited by Romeowood did not source his reference to claims of balsa wood effectiveness that we know.
I then, trying too be helpful, posted a reference to another site which did reference the original scientific studies because I thought you were looking for the original studies. If you want to review those studies you should order a copy or see if it is available on the internet.

Good luck with your further research.

Reactions: fireground_piper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm not a fan of filters and don't usually need them because I only smoke mild blends with mild nicotine.
My main issue being that they restrict the draw in 9mm pipes.
I've not tried 6mm filters but would imagine that they'd restrict the draw more so than a 9mm.

When a friend offers me a bowl of one of his stronger blends, I much prefer using a charcoal filter rather than paper or balsa.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well I’m getting my first filtered pipe, simply because it looked like a nice pipe. I’ll be using the Savinelli 6mm balsa filters, I’ll report back how it works out and tastes, and how nice it smokes without the filter too.

First time for me to try a filter pipe...

Reactions: Old_Newby

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
The second quote of mine to which you replied is taken out of context and its use seems to violate one of the general rules of discussion on this site.

As for "claims of efficacy should be sourced", that's an opinion. The author Ken Godbee in the article cited by Romeowood did not source his reference to claims of balsa wood effectiveness that we know.
I then, trying too be helpful, posted a reference to another site which did reference the original scientific studies because I thought you were looking for the original studies. If you want to review those studies you should order a copy or see if it is available on the internet.

Good luck with your further research.
Again, and respectfully as before. Please do not accuse me because you dislike my position. What you wrote read out to me as close ended. I believe it serves to give the facts of this discussion some context, which i tried to provide. My response was valid and within the rules which i have read.

It is widely accepted that the internet is the primary medium for hosting and researching, and that a claim in science as to a result should be properly sourced, this a normative standard.

I noticed an inconsistency, did not think that it would be so contriversial. And pointed to one fact, which is that the technical document / report is not publically acessable. That stands on its own, everything else is moot.

Best Regards,

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I've always wondered, do you put in the filter before packing the tobacco and checking the draw or afterwards? puffy

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
The author Ken Godbee in the article cited by Romeowood did not source his reference to claims
Ok, to set the record straight: I'm the culprit who was the author of that article; don't go blaming Kevin for tempests that erupt in my teacups! It makes him cranky.

Also, as this is not an academic forum, and as (I would hope) anyone with acute interest would take in information from many sources weighed against their own critical thinking, AND as I said before the tone of articles tends to be a bit more lighthearted around here, I did not feel citations were necessary.

That you folks *did* do some further research on your own, I congratulate you, and thank you for adding it to the discussion. As Zeto mentions, the interwebs was invented by Al Gore for just such purpose. But, and this is a big one, do realize that when studies and marketing collide, truth is that which side you shine a light on.

Ok, everyone back to their corners, we're all friends here, and keep on smokin'!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've always wondered, do you put in the filter before packing the tobacco and checking the draw or afterwards? puffy
I generally put the filter in the pipe first as part of the preparation ritual--which usually involves a half hour of deciding which pipe and which tobacco I'm going to smoke, inspecting the pipe to make sure it's clean and giving it a once-over if it needs a freshening up, prepping the tobacco, and then planning where to spend the next hour and what to drink while I'm there. But that's just me.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
"I'm the culprit who was the author of that article; don't go blaming Kevin for tempests that erupt in my teacups! It makes him cranky.

this is not an academic forum .... the tone of articles tends to be a bit more lighthearted around here, I did not feel citations were necessary."
Thank you. I apologize for improper citing --- I see now that Mr. Godbee reprinted your article. I should have been more careful. I agree the tone on this forum should be more lighthearted and ad hominum attacks are not allowed. I do think its an excellent article and should be available up front or linked to the topic of filters somehow.

All the best to those who seek to do further specific academic and scientific research; the source of the original studies is now available. I have read and do not have a source that Savinelli originally has tested Meerschaum and bamboo and went with balsa for cost effectiveness.

The internet is a mere tool; The truth must still be discerned from what is presented on it.
Best wishes in choosing wisely.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I never thought about it. I usually clean my pipe after. I remove the filter when doing so. If filter has less than 3 smokes I keep it and when I insert it back I reverse tip it. If it’s too wet I leave it out to dry.
If I am trying a new blend I always use a new filter. I am likely wasting filters but they seem very low cost item so I probably trash several that could go another bowl or 2.