Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I know most don’t like any filters but I promised my children and family I would use them. I do have a single 9mm pipe but all others are 6mm.

I had been using the paper filters but recently also tried the balsa filters. For me I have good flavor with either so not complaining.

I am confused on which one filters out the most tar or bad stuff? I found this table (pic) online and it seems to imply balsa is better for trapping tar and paper is only for moisture.

However I can physically see my paper filter turn black after 2-3 smokes but cannot see any black or discoloration on the balsa filters.

I will use both but my logical reasoning tells me this table (pic) is wrong, or is the balsa doing something I cannot see?

BAEA9EA5-D4AD-4511-A2BA-6882986FDBC4.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think filters are the least well explained feature of pipe smoking, so each new pipe smoker has to make a personal study of them and pick up the lore as they go along, sometimes at wasted time and expense.

A one pager on this for every new pipe smoker would be excellent, at least make them all aware of the issue.

I've used all three kinds of filters -- balsa, paper, and charcoal. Since I smoke an average of one bowl/chamber a day, I don't often use them. I think they are useful for moderate smokers for situations where they smoke more than usual, like at the pipe show or club, or sampling at a pipe shop.

I guess that charcoal ( 9 mm filters) remove the most particulates, tars, and ash. Balsa and paper get some of that, but are more moisture traps to dry out the smoke and prevent tongue bite.

Most pipes designed for filters smoke perfectly well without them, but this is on a pipe-by-pipe basis, and how restricted or airy you like a pipe. Adaptors are good to tighten the airway a little, but are not usually necessary.

I hope this thumbnail fills in some gaps in info.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Balsa will absorb moisture, but, a good amount of smoke will pass through the gaps (the Savinelli blasa filters are triangular and tangential at only three points of contact within the cylinder—the rest of the space on the edges lets smoke through). A charcoal filter will remove more of the stuff you don't want coming into your mouth. It will reduce draw.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
It all depends on what you want the filter to do. Any of the types of pipe filters will catch some particulate, but they are all primarily designed for absorbing moisture. If you just want to absorb moisture, the paper filter will work fine. If you are looking for heavier filtration of particulates, etc., then you should go with a charcoal filter.

If and when I use a filter, I prefer a balsa wood. I will however use a charcoal filter from time to time if that is all I have available. I've posted a couple links for you to explore on the subject.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two additional points. Any filter requires additional regular purchase of the filters, thus adds to the expense of pipe smoking. The expense is modest, but continual.

This leads me to wonder if some or all filters make pipe smokers tend to smoke more often to get the nicotine or flavor they want, thus somewhat negating the benefits of filtering, if you are cleaning up the smoke to a degree but smoking significantly more.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks everyone. I guess my promise to my family was to try to remove more harmful substances. I don’t think they make a 6mm charcoal but will look. I have 2 briar 6mm, 4 cob 6mm, and 1 pear 9mm I use for Aros or a Lakeland if I ever try one.

I think seeing the dark black collected in the paper filters logically tells me it’s trapping tar so I will stick with those for now. As I get more pipes in future I might go 9mm and use charcoal.

It’s all good either way. Who knows in a couple years I may be filterless.

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
Two additional points. Any filter requires additional regular purchase of the filters, thus adds to the expense of pipe smoking. The expense is modest, but continual.

This leads me to wonder if some or all filters make pipe smokers tend to smoke more often to get the nicotine or flavor they want, thus somewhat negating the benefits of filtering, if you are cleaning up the smoke to a degree but smoking significantly more.

This is pretty much it, the aerosol is changed but not significantly. With a big enough carbon filter, no smoke would come out the other end, it would all be trapped. Liberated nicotine is contained in within the this aerosol, it gets trapped in filters.

Filters will change the concerntration of varying sized particulates, making the smoke drier and absorbing heat from the aerosol. Filters are self defeating for one who is looking for satisfaction from X bowls of tobacco, the total sum of nicotine is the total sum of other volatiles also with it in the aerosol.

Single bowl a day, it does not matter that the filter isn't seperating nicotine from the other volatiles in the areosol. Even so the filter is very negligible with regard to levels harmful particulates removed. Perhaps there is some miniscule objective benefit, i.e. it is stopping large particles like ashy bits or peices of tobacco from entering the mouth.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
6mm charcoal filters exist but they often block the draw too much, specially when they get soaked.
9mm charcoal are nice, I'm using them the most but they affect the flavors somewhat. It also feels disgusting to use them more than once. When you are looking forward to taste a nice smelling tobacco and instead you get all the nasty stuff from the previous bowl.
I'd go with 9mm pipes, buy a ton of filters and forget about worrying for a year or two.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
A one pager on this for every new pipe smoker would be excellent, at least make them all aware of the issue.
Some guy that used to lurk here wrote a bit on this topic... ;)

Paper & charcoal filters will remove moisture and particulate from the smoke stream through dint of surface area alone; balsa, being wood, is cellularly hygromorphic so will absorb a great deal more moisture than one would think; between the two, paper & charcoal will remove more particulate--the tar that seems to be at issue. Use them, get used to smoking with them (some cadence and technique adjustments will be necessary), and it sounds like everyone involved will be a little happier! As for the cost, adding another 2-5 bucks on top of my average 100$+ orders is worth it for the enjoyment I gain from the pipes.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Thanks everyone. I guess my promise to my family was to try to remove more harmful substances. I don’t think they make a 6mm charcoal but will look. I have 2 briar 6mm, 4 cob 6mm, and 1 pear 9mm I use for Aros or a Lakeland if I ever try one.

I think seeing the dark black collected in the paper filters logically tells me it’s trapping tar so I will stick with those for now. As I get more pipes in future I might go 9mm and use charcoal.

It’s all good either way. Who knows in a couple years I may be filterless.
Vauen makes 6mm filters. Dr Perl.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I agree with all of the above sound advice and commentary. I would only add that you have to try different filters with each pipe. I have tried to switch to 6mm charcoal filters for my savinelli's and found that the balsa works best in the 2614 (full bent) while the charcoal works best in the 128 (straight). Also its possible to get two bowls out of balsa but not a good idea with charcoal as mentioned above. Savinelli has info on their studies on their site somewhere. The balsa filters 66% of tar and nicotine. Charcoal which is newer and blocks presumably more. But that really only matters if you inhale into lungs. Otherwise its just to block dottle and ash into mouth (imho). I don't have a 9mm pipe. Best of Luck in your own studies !

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I agree with all of the above sound advice and commentary. I would only add that you have to try different filters with each pipe. I have tried to switch to 6mm charcoal filters for my savinelli's and found that the balsa works best in the 2614 (full bent) while the charcoal works best in the 128 (straight). Also its possible to get two bowls out of balsa but not a good idea with charcoal as mentioned above. Savinelli has info on their studies on their site somewhere. The balsa filters 66% of tar and nicotine. Charcoal which is newer and blocks presumably more. But that really only matters if you inhale into lungs. Otherwise its just to block dottle and ash into mouth (imho). I don't have a 9mm pipe. Best of Luck in your own studies !
Thanks for info . 66% is good. I will che k out their website.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Some guy that used to lurk here wrote a bit on this topic... ;)

Paper & charcoal filters will remove moisture and particulate from the smoke stream through dint of surface area alone; balsa, being wood, is cellularly hygromorphic so will absorb a great deal more moisture than one would think; between the two, paper & charcoal will remove more particulate--the tar that seems to be at issue. Use them, get used to smoking with them (some cadence and technique adjustments will be necessary), and it sounds like everyone involved will be a little happier! As for the cost, adding another 2-5 bucks on top of my average 100$+ orders is worth it for the enjoyment I gain from the pipes.
Thank you for this article !! It summarizes in one place all of the information I have read separately elsewhere !! I am not IT inclined but believe the moderators should link this article right up front under one of the newby threads that come up first when you enter the site. (I don't know if that's the correct language to describe posting it on first page.)
And as for balsa, the article states: "The filter works by collecting moisture that condenses as it passes over the wood; balsa can surprisingly hold on the order of eighteen thousand times its weight in water. They also claim to absorb 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar from the smoke stream, as tested by independent laboratories." I know that was two separate university labs.
I wonder what tests charcoal has undergone and what results ?
Thanks again romeowood !! :)???

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Well, as my dentist could attest, your mileage may vary as regards the removal of XX% tar or nicotine from the smoke stream (don't forget the doctors that advocated smoking filtered cigarettes for the same reason); that said, any sort of due diligence which you can use in your case as presented to She Who Must Be Obeyed will help, right?
At the end of the day, it's the individual experience that's at stake, and the individual who must weigh all variables at hand.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Nice post, again. I still haven't made my mind up on filters. I have balsa paper and charcoal. I will say if I don't care for a particular tobacco the filter frequently improves the smoke to the point that I'm fine with that particular tobacco.

Reactions: chopper

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I realise that you can't really put a filter into a pipe that hasn't been designed for it.
Are there any other products that go some way to removing moisture, tar etc from an unfiltered pipe?