PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Look at my face, I’ve maintained a beard for 22 years, yet I totally love a shave ever since discovering safety razors. Muhle R41 and Razorrock SLOC are my tools. Pity is my wife hates my look without a beard.
SLOC is a smoooooth shaver… almost pulled the trigger on one, but for a little more effectiveness I’m considering the .68 open comb.

But those double teeth are sure nice to look at.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
We are way off topic, but then again in the Badger and Blade forum they talk pipe smoking quite a bit - in Greece most pipe shops have a display of razors and brushes, sort of goes with the territory.

Honestly I got the SLOC out of interest in the supposed benefit of the design, which I’ve come to think it’s a bit of a gimmick but it looks great to me, and shaves well so who cares if it is a gimmick!?

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
We are way off topic, but then again in the Badger and Blade forum they talk pipe smoking quite a bit - in Greece most pipe shops have a display of razors and brushes, sort of goes with the territory.

Honestly I got the SLOC out of interest in the supposed benefit of the design, which I’ve come to think it’s a bit of a gimmick but it looks great to me, and shaves well so who cares if it is a gimmick!?
Yep. “The brown leaf”.

Razorock makes fine pieces for sure. Nice and well manufactured.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
SLOC is a smoooooth shaver… almost pulled the trigger on one, but for a little more effectiveness I’m considering the .68 open comb.

But those double teeth are sure nice to look at.
If you can find one, the discontinued Merkur 11C is the best I've had from them. My Parker 12R is as close to a straight razor close shave that I've had.

20211130_003655.jpg

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Why shave?!? I quit using those nasty torture devices when I was 19.

My wife, nor my kids have ever seen me in that horrendous ? “clean-shaven” look. Hell, I am so old now that there are only two of my siblings still living who could potentially remember me before I grew my beard/mustache. ?
Well said; my thoughts exactly.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
If you can find one, the discontinued Merkur 11C is the best I've had from them. My Parker 12R is as close to a straight razor close shave that I've had.

View attachment 146945
I have the 25C, same 11C open comb head but thinner and longer handle

I may buy a 34C just to pair the heavy duty handle with my open comb head from the 25c. ??

But I agree, the merkur open combs are one of my favorites. Good blade rigidity, smooth and efficient without sacrificing comfort.

I haven’t used a Parker yet, but read good things. Their semi slant is quite well reviewed.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I’ve had as much facial hair as I can get away with pretty much my whole life. I shaved what hair didn’t pass for decent looking till maybe 10 yrs ago. Since then, I only have used a beard trimmer for touch ups around the edges, and get a good trim from the barber for seasonal needs.

Aside from a fashion statement, I never could understand why one would would want to scrape the hair off their face.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
My daily shaver is most often is a humble but effective 1947 Ball End Tech loaded with Gillette Silver Blues, alternated with one of many different vintage Gillettes. I will not admit to the size of my razor collection.

Collecting pipes and tobaccos is a shallow divot compared to the razor/blade/brush/soap/aftershave rabbit hole.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I admit nothing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Collecting pipes and tobaccos is a shallow divot compared to the razor/blade/brush/soap/aftershave rabbit hole.
It’s funny how they use the term rabbit hole in the shaving fora. I think ALL collectors of any kind are equally geeky, and think any type of collecting is as much a rabbit hole as any other.

Wines, stamps, coins, cards, toys…they each have their devotees!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have had a beard on and off, sometimes got tired of it and shaved it, but I always did it once and then grew it back. I'm now clean shaven for about a month, my hair generally doesn't grow quick and there is ginger in my bloodline so you don't see the hairs very fast. Before I grew a beard I used electric devices or a gilette 3 blade razor, now I use a Merkur 23C safety razor with Derby blades, a Muhle Silvertip brush with olive wood handle and DR Harris Sandalwood soap. I'm prone to irritation on the skin and cutting but I didn't had much trouble. Like pipes and tobacco I want to collect a bit more shaving equipment. I really like the smell of sandalwood shaving soap, anyone got recommendations?

There is a guy on Instagram, briar_brushworks, who makes a really nice resin and Briar badgerhair shaving brush.