PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The trick to having lots of hobbies is just convincing everyone else they are not hobbies, just ask @Chasing Embers haha.

Sharpening tools is almost as satisfying as using them I find...love that mirror finish!!!
Nicotine addiction isn't a hobby, nor is personal grooming. Collecting razors or shaving accessories could certainly be a hobby.

Last edited:

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I have had a beard on and off, sometimes got tired of it and shaved it, but I always did it once and then grew it back. I'm now clean shaven for about a month, my hair generally doesn't grow quick and there is ginger in my bloodline so you don't see the hairs very fast. Before I grew a beard I used electric devices or a gilette 3 blade razor, now I use a Merkur 23C safety razor with Derby blades, a Muhle Silvertip brush with olive wood handle and DR Harris Sandalwood soap. I'm prone to irritation on the skin and cutting but I didn't had much trouble. Like pipes and tobacco I want to collect a bit more shaving equipment. I really like the smell of sandalwood shaving soap, anyone got recommendations?

There is a guy on Instagram, briar_brushworks, who makes a really nice resin and Briar badgerhair shaving brush.
TOBS sandalwood or even the cheaper Proraso red. There are a lot of SW options.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Sharpening was one of my hobbies before tobacco. I learned many "right" ways to do it. Eventually, I realized they're all a little wrong and I can get a razor edge with very very wrong tools/techniques. Had to go through the obsession in order to find out what really didn't matter.

I suspect smoking it the same.

There is a time to tighten up the standards, and a time to loosen them. No regrets when obsessive tendancies creep in, or when I relax again.

Reactions: kcghost

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Sharpening tools is almost as satisfying as using them I find...love that mirror finish!!!
I agree. Sharpening my plane irons and chisels to surgical sharpness is therapeutic and satisfying. Never mind that it makes the tool a pleasure to use.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Again, some do and some don't.

Less collection, more drawer junk.

View attachment 147074

Actually…. That is a fairly artistic looking photograph…. for being just a picture of your “junk drawer”. It could make a nice framed poster, and with a grey or black matte, it could be enlarged and be framed as well, for a more “high end” look in a den.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Actually…. That is a fairly artistic looking photograph…. for being just a picture of your “junk drawer”. It could make a nice framed poster, and with a grey or black matte, it could be enlarged and be framed as well, for a more “high end” look in a den.
It's just the bottom drawer of my desk at work. ?

• Haha
Reactions: TheWhale13

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I wonder if you could review them, the specs, pros and cons, and which you’d buy if one’s looking for a new sock.

Thanks.
Don’t get me started on the cotton versus wool debate. And blending plant with animal and synthetic materials is directly opposed to scripture :mad:

still wouldn’t consider “socks” a hobby
puffy

Last edited: