PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm reading through the knife sharpening thread when it occurs to me.....

I (good-naturedly) mock the OCD pipe smokers that must follow the exact procedure for choosing, packing, lighting, smoking and cleaning.

This is exactly my approach to sharpening and honing blades and tools.

The first step is admitting you have a problem....

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The best safety blade holder is tue GEM Micromatic using a PTFE blade.

The most affordable DE is a late 1950’s red tip Gillette using an Astra SP blade.

My most effective straight is a
Wester Bros, Salamander, or Geneva 6/8”.

I use stones, films, and diamond pasted balsa

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
No, no...get started. I've been thinking of shaving the beard and going back to my straight razors.

Why shave?!? I quit using those nasty torture devices when I was 19.

My wife, nor my kids have ever seen me in that horrendous ? “clean-shaven” look. Hell, I am so old now that there are only two of my siblings still living who could potentially remember me before I grew my beard/mustache. ?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

My wife, nor my kids have ever seen me in that horrendous ? “clean-shaven” look. Hell, I am so old now that there are only two of my siblings still living who could potentially remember me before I grew my beard/mustache. ?
Same here. I haven't seen my face since I was 16.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020

I’ve maintained a beard for about 12 years and recently got back into shaving.

It’s not for the looks or anything else, it’s a relaxation ritual just like pipe smoking.

Take your time, from the safety razor or SR, the soap or cream, the brush, the lather, picking the blade, trying different shaving techniques and so on…

Very satisfying and totally different from that miserable in a hurry wake up call cheap foam and dull mach 3 bullshit.

Like quietly smoking a pipe vs rushing to finish a cigarette to get back to the office.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

Shaving depends on several factors. Are you self employed, is your job opportunities competing with younger folks, do you look better with or without?

i kept a beard from 1983 through early 2000’s.