PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I'm on the hunt for my preferred or favorite tobacco, how did you fins yours? Right now it's FMC, and I enjoy Balkan Sobranie. That will have to change.

Because I like to keep things simple I'd be happy to just find one or two that I could order and stock up. Right now I have a number of tins and have been putting opened tins and bulk tobacco in Ball jars.

My question to you, how did you find your favorite? Advice from others? Your B&M made a suggestion? You kept buying tobacco until you knew it was the one?

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
After trying a large amount of blends I started to figure out which type of leaf combinations and which blending houses I liked the most. In most cases when a blender I am familiar with comes out with a new blend I will know if I will like it or not just by the contents. It just takes time. I would also suggest taking notes of what you are smoking, the pipe, and your thoughts on it. In the early days it can be a benefit to hone in on your likes and dislikes and give you some focus moving forward.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
One of my favorite parts of pipe smoking is the variety, so I don't really have a favorite. Same goes for drink, music, and food. My favorite is whatever strikes me at the time. Sorry if that isn't helpful. I would suggest getting some samples and trying to find what you want to stock up on. I browsed on this forum and tobacco reviews to find blends that seemed to be similar to ones I enjoyed previously.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Not sure i have found a favorite one yet. I have found a few blends that stood out and i liked so i started buying more of those. Found them by just trying a BUNCH of different blends and trial and error. Had a few clinkers but most where fine. Get a few from each group areomatics, Virginias, English... and see what ones you like and then buy a few more from the same style. The fun is in the journey not just the destination.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
My favorite would have to be Cornell & Diehl’s Three Friars. It’s far from the only tobacco I smoke, but I could easy only smoke it forever.

I got it by realizing I really like burley blends, and sampling various offerings from the (IMO) best Burley blenders, C&D.

Jun 9, 2018
England
My favourite changes as time goes by and I try new blends.
Warrior Plug was my favourite for a long time but I recently tried the flavoured brown twists from Gawith and I'd say they're my new favourite now, I particularly like the Cherry and Rum varieties.
I'm sure it'll change again as I try new things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a variety enthusiast like many Forums members, so part of my enjoyment is trying new blends that strike my fancy, though compared to jiminks and some others, my life list is fairly modest. However, if you want an old standby, I'd look around among the old tried and true blends that have withstood the test of time. Examples of such blends that I enjoy, I'd suggest Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic; Carter Hall or a similar blend from pipesandcigars, Chatham Manor, which is also available from Sutliff; or a mild English like Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury. There are hundreds of similar blends that have earned a following over decades or a century. And there are so many good blends that are more obscure, that are just as good. Remember, your tastes will likely change, so it could be some years before you winnow it down to two or three blends, or one, with which you are content. I'd buy in small quantities for several years, even if you find one you really like, to accommodate your evolving tastes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I found my favorites from smoking different blends. My favorite Va Flake is Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. My favorite VaOr is Dan Tobacco Ascanian No 1. My favorite Vaper is HU Director's Cut but to be fair, it has some DFK in it. So I have to mention Watch City Rouxgaroux as well. Favorite VaBur is Solani 660 Silver Flake. But there are a number of blends that are very close to these choices.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
So far, my favorite is Prince Albert. I ordered a bunch of stuff when I first started. I was trying to stop smoking cigarettes, nothing I ordered scratched that itch. My stepson suggested PA because it had in the past been used in both cigarettes and pipes. I fell in love with the flavor, and how easy it was to burn. This really helped me "get" how to smoke a pipe. It never really scratched the itch that a cigarette does, but I'm usually too busy smoking PA to smoke a cigarette.

Its by far my favorite, I hoard it. Haha Even though it will be one of the blends that survive a lot of the new laws, I know it will be expensive soon and gone eventually. I smoke other blends everyday. It seems like no matter how good a blend is, it gets old if you don't give it a break every few bowls.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I found my favorites from smoking different blends. My favorite Va Flake is Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. My favorite VaOr is Dan Tobacco Ascanian No 1. My favorite Vaper is HU Director's Cut but to be fair, it has some DFK in it. So I have to mention Watch City Rouxgaroux as well. Favorite VaBur is Solani 660 Silver Flake. But there are a number of blends that are very close to these choices.

I love Solani Silver Flake! A beautiful Spicy tobacco, it seems to get even better with a few months in the jar.
To be honest there isn't a Solani tobacco that I've tried that I haven't loved. As well as Silver Flake there's 633 Virginia Flake With Perique, 131 Red Label which has a marvelous whiskey topping and Aged Burley Flake, which has a light cocoa/chocolate topping that goes with the tobacco brilliantly.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’m still looking for my next favorite. So far, the current ranking order out of what I’ve tried so far is:
  1. Prince Albert
  2. Peter Stokkebye Norwegian
  3. Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam
  4. Peter Stokkebye Turkish
  5. Carter Hall
I’ve also got a sample of Lane 1-Q that I haven’t tried yet, and I’m picking up some Tinderbox and SPC blends the next time we’re in the Tacoma area.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Right now it's FMC, and I enjoy Balkan Sobranie.
Try Black Frigate and Pasha's Dream.

My question to you, how did you find your favorite?

Trial and error. I started smoking long before the internet, and even longer before I met another pipe smoker or even knew about B&Ms. Didn't even know there were chat sites and forums until 2014. I've got over 100 blends in my closet, and at most I can say my favorite genre is Virginia/Oriental.

Last edited:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
One of my favorite parts of pipe smoking is the variety, so I don't really have a favorite. Same goes for drink, music, and food. My favorite is whatever strikes me at the time. Sorry if that isn't helpful. I would suggest getting some samples and trying to find what you want to stock up on. I browsed on this forum and tobacco reviews to find blends that seemed to be similar to ones I enjoyed previously.
Same, though I do have some favorites that I stumbled upon by basically trying as much as I could of the types of tobaccos that I'd previously enjoyed. So if I enjoyed Frog's Cellar and Sobranie I would be on the hunt for full Balkans and boozy latakia blends. Sobranie in particular has so many tribute blends that finding something in the ballpark shouldn't be too hard. Searching for new tobaccos is probably the best part of piping to me!

Reactions: Pipelady20

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
Horrible question:
Peterson's Sherlock Holmes
Peterson's University Flake
but if I had to only smoke one: Boswell's Northwoods. I was sent a reasonable sample of this and it was cruelty as I have not been able to smoke it since!

Reactions: Pipelady20

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Vanilla:

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic are my regular staples, always buy tubs.

My favorite premium is Dunhill / Peterson Standard Mixture.

Right now I've been really enjoying Amphora Virginia.

Attachments

• 1588941650820.png
    1588941650820.png
    668 bytes · Views: 5
Reactions: dcon and Pipelady20
Status
Not open for further replies.