PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm always trying new things. Some of them are even good.... nnnn

Today, we picked up a pork tenderloin and I did a quick and dirty web search for ideas.

I found a marinade to try and it was excellent!

2 T Dijon
1 T Maple
1 t Cider vinegar
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t kosher salt

It made just enough to coat the tenderloin in a ziplock for a few hours and really complimented the dish.

With some seasoned "creamed" collards on the side....

I suspect a similar treatment would benefit a lesser cut of cow just fine.

1654664507648.png

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
this one I use a lot, otherwise its a coat in Lee and Perrins, salt, pepper, chili powder,paprika, onion powder, and minced garlic

Attachments

• 41SBDEo3sUL.jpg
    41SBDEo3sUL.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
For meat, you need a few things.

A salt/sodium to draw out the moisture
An oil to dissolve aromatics in, so when the water the salt draws out is reabsorbed, it carries the flavors with it back into the steak
If its a tough cut, or you're doing a short marinade, an acid/something with enzymes to break down the fibers

After that, it's basically whatever you want. The salt can be salt or soy sauce; the oil can be canola, olive, whatever. The acid can be a vinegar, honey, papaya juice.

Onion & garlic are classic steak marinade ingredients. And for everything else, just go wild - basil, oregano, thyme, ginger, pepper, 5 spice, mustard, etc. Just go nuts and find out what tastes good

Reactions: Hovannes

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
For meat, you need a few things.

A salt/sodium to draw out the moisture
An oil to dissolve aromatics in, so when the water the salt draws out is reabsorbed, it carries the flavors with it back into the steak
If its a tough cut, or you're doing a short marinade, an acid/something with enzymes to break down the fibers

After that, it's basically whatever you want. The salt can be salt or soy sauce; the oil can be canola, olive, whatever. The acid can be a vinegar, honey, papaya juice.

Onion & garlic are classic steak marinade ingredients. And for everything else, just go wild - basil, oregano, thyme, ginger, pepper, 5 spice, mustard, etc. Just go nuts and find out what tastes good
I would add that alcoholic beverages can be used in lieu of the acid component.

As for me salt and pepper only. On rare occasion a little butter, EVOO, or Worcestershire

Wishbone italian dressing makes a decent marinade. I prefer to spring for quality meat and add few flavorings, just enjoying the meat flavor but there’s a recipe on the internet for a steak marinade using Sierra Nevada torpedo IPA which I have a bottle of, so I’ll probably try that this week.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A little salt and a moderate amount of pepper; however, when I was in Argentina several years ago, I enjoyed the chimichurri sauce they serve with steak.
Meijer, a chain grocery store in the Midwest, is now offering a chimichurri sauce. It's decent, but not as amazing as fresh or another store bought brand that is no longer made.

The herbal freshness and touch of spice makes the tastebuds happy. Chimichurri was a gamechanger when I first had it am and glad the sauce is back in stores for convenience purposes.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Meijer, a chain grocery store in the Midwest, is now offering a chimichurri sauce. It's decent, but not as amazing as fresh or another store bought brand that is no longer made.

The herbal freshness and touch of spice makes the tastebuds happy. Chimichurri was a gamechanger when I first had it am and glad the sauce is back in stores for convenience purposes.
Although it is sold industrialized, the Chimichurri is a homemade preparation that is usually made at the moment of putting the meat on the grill.
1/2 bunch of parsley.
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano.
2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced.
1/2 cup of finely chopped green onion.
1 finely chopped red pepper, without the seeds.
2 tablespoons of wine vinegar. lemon juice.
1/2 cup of oil.
Salt and pepper.
Everything mixed.
The popular tale says that it was invented by an Irish Immigrant and that the name comes from Jimmy's Curry.

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I had a steak in Italy, just sea salt and when they served it they drizzled an amazing extra virgin olive oil, was amazing but so was the meat. In Japan they put a pat of butter on it, was equally amazing. Depends on the cut of meat, if it is good stuff then marinate not necessary. If it a low quality of cut, then marinating will help. In Latin America they used "cheap cuts" and marinated them and they were amazing. So different ways really.
Cheers

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I love a good grilled steak. My rub for steak is always salt, freshly ground black pepper, a smidge of garlic powder, and a good dusting of paprika, applied just minutes before it hits the fire. I prefer New York cut, but won't say no to a nice rib-eye, T-bone, or porterhouse!
Liquid marinades only get used for things like flank, skirt, or sirloin.