PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Summertime is here and it's time to break out the grill for those that keep it in hibernation.

A local grocery just had some great meat sales ($2.99 ground beef, $5.99 porterhouse, $6.99 ribeye - sorry to those near Macomb County for not sharing earlier).

I made some meatloaf (just for sandwiches) and have some steaks marinating in soy sauce, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and steak seasoning.

What is your favorite or got to steak marinade?

I typically prefer Montreal seasoning or salt, garlic powder, and pepper with olive oil and a splash of Worcestershire, teriyaki for beef and broccoli, and Lawry's steakhouse marinade. Garlic and herb infused olive oil is another favorite.

I generally add butter while the steak rests on white bread or pitas to soak in the juices. Compound butter is great too, but I rarely remember to make it in advance.

How about you?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't marinade better cuts of beef. I enjoy the flavor of beef too much to adulterate it. Lessor cuts, skirt steak, tri-tip and the like I may rub, brisket for sure, and cook low and slow. Rarely I might cut a "select" or lessor grade steak cut into stripes and marinade in terriyaki sauce. But, that's about it.

To my palate, the rib steak is the king. Porter house can be a close second. The rib eye? The lack of bone is intolerable for me. I know certain parts of the US call a bone-in rib steak a "rib eye" so, I like to differeniate to be a bit more precise. Same as a standing rib roast. If it ain't graded "prime" butchers have no business calling it a "prime rib roast."

I am seriously "picky" about my beef purchases. Seriously! :sher:

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I'm more into dry rubs like Montreal Steak, or Pappy's reduced sodium.
I do some marinades though, usually Basque brand.
Canned chipotles with the adobo sauce run through a blender make an interesting marinade.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I never marinade top beef steak, just salt it (no pepper) for a few hours in the fridge ahead of cooking. USDA prime dry aged Black Angus ribeye costs a bomb over here (about $150 per kg) but it’s worth it from time to time. It’s also the only meat I tolerate to be medium/rare. Greeks like to drench steaks with lemon juice, I think it detracts from the meat’s flavour.

Lemon, oregano, rosemary, garlic etc all go well with pork, lamb and chicken but for me never on a top quality piece of beef.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Marinade on a steak is sacrilege! Ok, I may do steak fajitas once a year, but for cow steaks, I do a quick 3-day dry age in the fridge and rub with salt, pepper, and powdered beef fat.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like acidic marinades when cooking a beef cut without a high amount of fat, like a flank steak I cook for taco's or tortilla wraps or also a flank steak cut for asian cuisine. For higher fat content like ribeye or picanha I only use salt and pepper, maybe some onion and garlic powder. For low and slow beef like brisket, chuck or shortribs I want a bark, I use a bbq rub of choice.

Reactions: JOHN72 and karam
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Summertime is here and it's time to break out the grill for those that keep it in hibernation.

A local grocery just had some great meat sales ($2.99 ground beef, $5.99 porterhouse, $6.99 ribeye - sorry to those near Macomb County for not sharing earlier).

I made some meatloaf (just for sandwiches) and have some steaks marinating in soy sauce, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and steak seasoning.

What is your favorite or got to steak marinade?

I typically prefer Montreal seasoning or salt, garlic powder, and pepper with olive oil and a splash of Worcestershire, teriyaki for beef and broccoli, and Lawry's steakhouse marinade. Garlic and herb infused olive oil is another favorite.

I generally add butter while the steak rests on white bread or pitas to soak in the juices. Compound butter is great too, but I rarely remember to make it in advance.

How about you?
I’ve used Dales, but now days use a custom rub for a meat cutter at Publix.

Reactions: JOHN72

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I like them grilled straight-up (no marinade or anything), then after rub in a bit of sea salt and olive oil.
A friend of mine in South Korea introduced me to that, and it's still my favorite way to have a steak.

Reactions: JOHN72