PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
One of the reasons that Niven's books hadn't made it to the screen was that Niven would not allow it. He didn't want his carefully constructed novels altered to fit the constraints of a two hour theatrical presentation. Being a scion of the Doheny family, he didn't need the money.
I wasn't aware of this at the time I pitched Dream Park to Disney. But I was able to give Niven a good laugh when I told him their response, which was, "We don't do movies about murders in theme parks."

Doahh...
Great information. Thank you.
I was always curious why Lucifers Hammer and The Motr In Gods Eye never were adapted to film.

Last edited:

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I didn’t care for it. Maybe the new one will be better. I probably ought to read the novel.
It was a cinematic disaster in my, and apparently many other’s view, who had read Frank Herbert’s classic novel(s). I actually own a VHS copy of it and cringe every time I see the cover.
Painful movie to sit through really.
Yes, definitely read the book if you’re looking for an immersive read.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, that link to the "original" science fiction film was more than I remembered. I wonder if NASA uses that for recruitment. I like the chorus line women in their cheesecake shorts and the extremely elderly astronauts, not to mention the interesting launch of the return vehicle, which was also the launch vehicle. I don't understand the commotion at he beginning, but the general drift of it all is clear. Thank you! It's even better than remembered.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Fritz Lang - Metropolis
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Planet Of The Apes
2001 A Space Odyssey
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion Of the Body Snathers
Invaders From Mars
Things To Come - 1936 version
Looper
District 9
Gravity
Ex Machina
First Men On The Moon
The Time Machine - George Pal
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Disney
Silent Running
Akira
Wall-E
Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049
Ghost In The Shell
The Invisible Man - Claude Rains version
Jurassic Park
RoboCop
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
The Thing
The Blob
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Back To The Future
StarWars
Alien
Westworld
Soylent Green
Godzilla
Star Trek III - The Search For Spock
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
A Boy And His Dog
When Worlds Collide
Paprika
The Fifth Element
The Fly - 1958 version
Men In Black
Altered States
The War Of The Worlds
Galaxy Quest
Fantastic Voyage
Solaris
The Iron Giant
Total Recall - 1990 version
A Clockwork Orange
Time Bandits
A Trip To The Moon
Mysterious Island
Frankenstein - 1931
Sleeper
The Lost World - 1925 - The fully Restored 2 hr version
Mighty Joe Young
King Kong

Just to name a few...
Difficult to add to that list but...

Solaris - the 1972 Russian version by Andrei Tarkovsky
Stalker - 1979; also by Andrei Tarkovsky
Iron Sky
Mars Attacks
The Matrix (and subsequent films)

Fifth Element is probably my all time favourite SciFi film

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I also liked "2001," the incredibly optimistic notion of how far we would have proceeded into space by that year. I also like various episodic scenes, like Hal, the computer's, nervous breakdown, and the strange lapses in the pace of the narrative that made it more rather than less dramatic. The ending is as much about mortality as it is about ending an odd space journey. I like the strange optimistic energy, the lightness of the scenes, despite it being a deathbed saga, and the apes throwing around the bone.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A slew of A and B list Hollywood, plus Slim Whitman and Tom Jones on the same soundtrack, amazing.
My wife loves this movie, I watch it from time to time because I love her.
I was Warner Digital's art director and supervising matte painter on Mars Attacks. I had the distinction of completely weirding out Tim Burton on that film. I'd done a painting of the Reflecting Pond where greensmen are picking up the scattered bodies of dead Martians and placing them in wheelbarrows. I added dozens of dead Martians strewn in the trees and over the distant ground. Tim took one look at it and visibly paled. He asked me to please cut back the carnage as it was a bit "over the top" for him. What wasn't over the top on that film? The flaming cows?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The original dystopian sci fi. I take some comfort in knowing that almost 100 years ago, they were worried about our entire civilization turning into an oppressive dystopian nightmare megalopolis, and we don't seem to be any closer to it now than we were then.
The first time I saw Metropolis was when I was an undergrad at UCLA. What made the screening special was that Fritz Lang was there to talk about the film and the other two films that were shown. He spoke a little bit before each of the films was screened and after the screenings, hosted a Q&A with the audience. He must have been in his 80's, but still was a commanding presence.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The first time I saw Metropolis was when I was an undergrad at UCLA. What made the screening special was that Fritz Lang was there to talk about the film and the other two films that were shown. He spoke a little bit before each of the films was screened and after the screenings, hosted a Q&A with the audience. He must have been in his 80's, but still was a commanding presence.

I saw Metropolis in college as well, and up until that point, most of older movies I had seen just seemed hokey... my view on that has since changed, but I digress. Suffice it to say that I was very surprised at the seemingly-current theme about a high tech dystopia in such an old film. That impact of Metropolis stuck with me since first seeing it.

Now on the topic of groundbreaking genre-defining films (but perhaps somewhere opposite Metropolis on the scale of artistic merit) the original horror / low key comedy (with a strong sci fi element), and a personal “old movie” favorite:

The Creature From the Black Lagoon!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Great information. Thank you.
I was always curious why Lucifers Hammer and The Motr In Gods Eye never were adapted to film.

I loved Lucifer’s Hammer... the best post apocalyptic adventure novel, IMO. The religious cannibal cult was truly scary. I tend to forget some details in books, but it’s been quite a few years since reading that one, and I still remember the cannibals and their cauldron.

Reactions: peregrinus

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Poultrygeist.

I kid, I kid. It was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. It’s meant to be bad but they just took it too far and it’s a long movie.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I once had the opportunity to ask David Lynch about his 1984 version, it’s a major regret for him.
Here’s hopping things go better this time around.
I went to a local screening of Inland Empire with David Lynch doing Q&A at the end of the movie. I remember him saying the same thing. Said it was his biggest regret of his career.

Reactions: peregrinus
Status
Not open for further replies.