PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
What are some of your favorite Science Fiction movies? Picking one is tough so I’ll pick two.

An early favorite is “The Day The Earth Stood Still”. That’s the 1951, Robert Wise version with Michael Rennie as Klaatu. Ground breaking, a thoughtful departure from usual schlock monster films of the 50’s.

Thirty years forward to 1982 and “Blade Runner”, Ridley Scott’s adaptation of Phillip K. Dick’s novel, “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” The movie moves the story from San Francisco to a gritty, dirty and rainy LA and a lived-in, believable future.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
My folks took me to 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was very little. The experience was profound, transformative. I knew I was seeing something special even before I knew what something special was. I think it’s the film against which I compare all others, science fiction or otherwise.

Yeah, I was also that kid; I saw Star Wars (no subtitle, no episode number) thirteen times at the theater when it first came out. It’s the only time I felt compelled to revisit a movie experience over and over like that.

An early favorite is “The Day The Earth Stood Still”. That’s the 1951, Robert Wise version with Michael Rennie as Klaatu. Ground breaking, a thoughtful departure from usual schlock monster films of the 50’s.

Terrific film. Sincere in message, moves at a clip ... and Bernard Herrmann taught all of Hollywood how to score a science fiction film brilliantly and nearly everyone followed suit for a decade. (I really like Blade Runner, too.)

Reactions: peregrinus

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Donnie Darko

Stargate

Cloud Atlas
Great choices.
Stargate is my wife’s favorite.
I enjoyed the first 5-6years of the first TV series and both seasons of the overlooked third series, “Stargate Universe“
The Blob and Planet of the Apes. ?
The Blob, ha, I remember that movie scared me a bit at the time, although I’m not sure why anymore.. ?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Great choices.
Stargate is my wife’s favorite.
I enjoyed the first 5-6years of the first TV series and both seasons of the overlooked third series, “Stargate Universe“

The Blob, ha, I remember that movie scared me a bit at the time, although I’m not sure why anymore.. ?
Stargate Universe was great. I wish they would have continued with it. Great concept.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Somewhat recent: Serenity, from the Firefly television series which was pretty good.

2001 is the best Sci-fi I've seen so far, but it's getting a little dated now and redundant.

I would look forward to Wool, from the writer Hugh Howey if the film option ever turns into a reality and lands in the lap of a good director. Pretty good book series by a breakout author.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
2001: A Space Odyssey is an odd thing. Brilliant in terms of the juxtaposition of classical scores with visuals (that are amazing considering when the film was made), but I always felt that it was a film with a theme rather than a story, if that makes sense. It’s still one of my favorites.

The original Planet of the Apes is pretty good, too.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
The first Alien movie.
Maybe the best “haunted house” movie of all time.
When was that, early 80’s?
At that time my wife had a friend in San Francisco who called us at 2:00 a.m. after seeing this movie while under the influence of a banned hallucinogenic drug.
THEY HAD NO IDEA!
She spent several hours on the phone talking them off the ceiling. Wow, hadn’t thought of this in years

Reactions: autumnfog and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.