PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Clarence " Gatemouth " Brown

Had his own blend called Gatemouth Also Pipe and Tobacco did a story about his music and life and his love of pipe smoking and the types of pipes he like and his own blend that was made for him.
gatemouth_zps0a5f457f.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I am blown away about SRV. I am a GIANT fan. Every time I go to Austin I go to his memorial statue on the river by Congress Ave. He was big influence of why I play the guitar and didnt know he smoked a pipe until 2 min ago. I'm happy.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
1st choice, ME

2nd choice, Duck Dunn

because Bass players are a brotherhood :)

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Coltrane, Mingus, Archie Shepp, Roger Sessions, Brook Benton, Ray Charles, and Berlioz (though I'm pretty sure tobacco was a minority or what he actually smoked).

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
Unforunately, there WERE some "self-polluters" in there, too...
Dear Fellow Music-Loving Pipesters:
Data's Calabash here...I could not HELP but notice a near-clone of my avatar photo existing in "Lawrence's" post back on page one of this thread...that's as the FIRST that anyone ever smoked in Trek, it was in the TNG episodes "Lonely Among Us" and "Elementary, Dear Data", when Data embraced Sherlock's signature calabash each time...hence my handle here for this forum!
I mentioned the "unforunate self-polluters" in my heading here because, whether we like it or not, SOME of the previously-mentioned celebrities in this celebrity musician pipeguy thread...principally Frank Sinatra, Desi Arnaz, Nat "King" Cole, and Elvis...were a LOT more prone to POLLUTE themselves with "those damn butts", and could have "soured" the picture a lot more through their cigarette addiction, than if they had started and exclusively stuck to enjoying JUST pipes instead, or perhaps enjoyed a handmade all-natural cigar once in a while with their pipe-time.
However, there DO seem to have been some "strict pipeguys" in the music world that I've seen before, as I've noticed the odd photo of flutist James Galway from Ireland being a pipeguy, and even country singer Mel Tillis has been seen with what could have been a straight-stem meerschaum of his own in earlier years in the media.
Also, there's PHOTOGRAPHIC evidence of pianist-comedian Victor Borge enjoying straight-stem Dublins (just as I spotted the photo of fluist Galway enjoying), composer Lalo Schifrin enjoying briars with some routine, and most of all...the half-a-century long pipe-enjoyment of '50s rocker Jerry Lee Lewis, with a reported 200-pipe collection that he's amassed over the decades of pipe-time he's had, and possibly helping him outlast Elvis in just plain human longevity.
I sincerely apologize about the "self-pollution" angle on this, but as I've hated "those damn butts" for nearly ALL of my life (since 1961!) and have NEVER had anything to do with them at any time, I had to point that out...but with those above-mentioned "music people" that I've identified as far more likely being "strict pipeguys" and likely nothing else, I made certain to mention them, as they've not been mentioned in this thread previously...!
Thanks and Yours Sincerely,
Data's Calabash

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Stevie Ray is by far my favorite guitar slinger, and one of my favorite artist period! I've known for a while now that he smoked a pipe, and I've seen pics of him with a pipe, but never a video! That video was freakin awesome! Damn, that man could play!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I had forgotten that Lalo Schifirin smoked a pipe. And I forgot to mention Harry Partch, falling into the same trap as most of the rest of the world apparently. Invented hundreds of instruments, many completely different tonal systems and then wrote music for them that was phenomenal by any measure.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
In recognition of the many high-school commencement exercises happening this week in wilds of Northern Virginia, here is Little Eddie Elgar, the (admittedly fine) trio of whose Pomp and Circumstance (the original P&C?) March No. 1 ("The Land of Hope and Glory" -- but the words came later), excised and re-keyed for high-school use (the g-sharps requiring just too much practice for the average trombonist), has by now been played about a thousand times in all the basketball arenas in the area.
edward-elgar-artikel-410_zpsdcf7a541.jpg

Here is the march in full, with all the parts you never hear at U.S. graduations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvgl_2JRIUs

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Stevie Ray is my favorite pipe smoking guitar player, but I must admit, Albert King looks way cooler smoking a pipe. It's funny lots of people mention King. I have a picture of Albert king smoking inside my tobacco cabinet. I see ol Albert atleast three times a day when I grab some baccy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@natenice1: Yep!
I had an album of his as a kid that got a lot of play.

Little White Duck, On Top of Old Smoky, Froggie went a Courtin', etc...

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Chris Thile is absolutely one of my favorite musicians. Though, I wasn't aware he smoked a pipe. So yeah, he is at the top of my list for this question.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Though not known for his playing, I will nominate the pipe world's Scott Thile since he is a musician as well as a pipemaker.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
In the leisure time afforded by the season, I've run across a reason for thread resurrection: Sir William Walton, best known for the coronation marches Orb and Sceptre and Crown Imperial as well as for the incredible cantata Belshazzar's Feast.
He looks a little like Copland in the first photo, I think.
Walton_zps6e2f2097.jpg

WaltonII_zpsbe984fa9.jpg

May 31, 2012
I'll go with Howlin' Wolf...
F0gHnKz.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7aq5MsaIL0
:

:
...and Anthony Braxton.
7445728b-62e4-4505-ba85-5dd7fbe3c793-0.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYeHiHUFV8

Status