PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ok, since Bob started a thread on favorite pipe makers, I'm starting one on favorite shapes. Which is a lot harder I think because it depends on the tobacco and the mood. Or at least I've noticed that personally.
I did find one thread closely related here, but it was more about the smoking quality. So here goes:
If you had to pick one shape, what would it be ?
Mine ? Probably a bent rhodesian or bulldog like my Peterson 999.
peterson-harp-600x442.jpg

cburke111

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
Zulu or horn shape is by far my favorite but i haven't got one in my collection yet hopefully a good estate will come along!! :mrgreen:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I tend to favor egg or apple shaped bowls. My 2 panel kaywoodie and my new Pete are both apple shapes and my favorite cob is a bent egg.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Rhodesians and bent bulldogs are some of my favorite shapes. Tough I smoke and make some "interesting" shapes as well.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I like the look of so many if im looking at them to buy. Te interesting thing is that i never like the look of bulldogs...but as i smoke pipes straight bulldogs always seem to be my favorite look. I dont know, its weird to me

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
To be totally honest (yeah right) . The best shape there is, is the one with a big hole in the fat end for tobacco and a small hole in the skinny part to draw the smoke through.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The best shape there is, is the one with a big hole in the fat end for tobacco and a small hole in the skinny part to draw the smoke through.

+1

Well said Arthur...

I have my favorite pipes...

But each one is a completely different shape than any of the others.

Basically from: :puffy: to :puffpipe:

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I think they are all great in one respect or another. I tend to favor bents of most any shape but I have a couple of Canadians that I love. Many times it depends on the individual pipe to some degree because I think you can find a shape that might not usually appeal to you but maybe the grain or some other feature really makes it stand out. :puffy:

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Cherrywood or Bent Poker, it's the shape I saw at a friends house that started me on collecting pipes. He had come from a garage sale with a long double sided 24 pipe rack. Most were common, a couple of Savinellis, but there was a Dunhill 20 Cherrywood that caught my eye.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
"Be careful what you ask for" is what my momma used to say... I may be adding two uncle arthurs to my collection now.
need to sell off some more of my classical music to fund PAD budget :rofl:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Zulu! Anything straight! But I am also getting really interested in calabashes because of their smoking capabilities.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
I'll vote for Rhodesians as well, with the Peterson 999 shape in particular and if possible, a chubby pre-republic one.
mmmmhhhhh, curvy :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.