PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
I always enjoy some Captain Black Royal, but with all of the post's here, may have to pick up some PA and half and half next time.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I only have one and that is Sugar Barrel. I us to smoke others many years ago, so maybe it's time for me to pick up a couple others to try.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
It'a a tie between Carter Hall, which I smoked exclusively for 35 years, and SWR, Ky Club Mixture, Half & Half, Velvet, and Granger. While I do smoke Ky Club Blue, Cherry Blend, Sugar Barrel, and Prince Albert, they're all 2nd to the others I've listed.

expo

Lurker
May 28, 2011
Weened on the only OTC's in Canada until lately, like Amphora, Sail, Captain Black, and Borkim Riff, I have only tried the U.S. brands in the last couple of years. P.A and C.H. are regulars now and I love them both! I hope to try them all, as most appear to be burley based that suits me just dandy!

All the folks that contribute here have opened so many tobacco doors for me that my choices of so many blends can be so vast if not overwhelming. Thanks to you all and the internet!! Expo

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Ive only really tried "white" and "blue" pouched Captain Black. preferred Captain Black Royal.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have been looking at Walgreens, CVS and other discount tobacco stores and it seems to me there is really two kinds of OTC. The CBs and PSs then the really cheap stuff that comes in a bag the size of my gym bag.
I love PA and CB Royal. I have always been hesitant to try the really cheap stuff.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, for me it is a tie between Captain black Cherry, Captain Black Lane limited and Amphora Red Full Aroma

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Best necropost ever!
I'll say kind words for Prince Albert: I love the stuff. Just a mellow smoke but can't be smoked too fast or it gets bitter and bitey.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The only one I smoke is SWR Aromatic. I don't smoke a lot of it but I come back to an open tub every once in a while. I don't think Amphora counts anymore but I have tried a pouch of both Red and Brown. With the new version my preference has flip flopped. I prefer the new Brown.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like PC's Midtown series of OTC matches, most of all the only non-aromatic in the series, Chestnut, which is a match to the discontinued OTC Walnut. After that Chatham Manor, which matches Carter Hall. For real OTC, I guess Carter Hall and Prince Albert, with maybe Granger running a close third for sentimental reasons. Chestnut incidentally is a blend of five different tobaccos, which is pretty exotic for an OTC type blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find it interesting how divisive Sir Walter Raleigh can be. Some claim it takes practice to appreciate, which may be a variation on the "acquired taste" label.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Prince Albert or Carter Hall, depending how I feel that day/hour/moment.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Just to be a smart ass saint bruno or condor.

But since I'm in the US Carter hall and sir Walter Raleigh are the two I like.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Gosh, it's like that kids' game, Would You Rather?
It goes something like this:
"Would you rather... eat worms or a coconut peanut pineapple cake?"
"Would you rather... smoke Carter Hall or Mixture 79?"

Status
Not open for further replies.