PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I've done some searching on here and even though I found quite a bit of discussions about OTC/drug store blends I've not seen a topic dedicated to it solely. So my question to all of you is what is your favorite and why?
And if someone else knows of a thread that covered this in the past then just direct me. Thanks!

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I would say carter hall and then prince albert. This question is like redheads or brunettes which do you prefer. But since I can't marry my tobaccos I'll keep some of each.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
After some poking and proding I think I'm going to pick up some prince albert next time I find it for a good price. It seems like there are not very many people who say they would never smoke it after they tried it.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
PA is like a old pair of sweatpants. Always comfy and always there when you need them.
Paladin is also a good smoke on the Aro side.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I can tolerate the evil bastard stepchild of the baccy world....Mixture 79...of course before it's over, we all may be reduced to being able to buy only Captain Black for 50.00 a pouch. 8O

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I gave up OTC's a long time ago. So many of them have changed the blends (and not for the better IMO) that with other offerings from creative firms I'd rather explore the blends of people who are trying to be different.

To each his own; that's what makes this such a great hobby.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My favorite OTC is probably SWR. I used to buy bags of Blenders Gold BCA from Walgreens in years past that wasnt too bad if it was left to dry out a bit. Haven't bought any in a while, so not sure its still available, or if its still the same blend. My dad used to always buy their bags of (Blender's Gold) Black and Burley before he had to stop smoking a pipe for health reasons. I never could get too excited about that blend.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I quite enjoy Amphora Original Blend when I've got a hankering for an OTC burley - no flavourings to speak of, just nice, creamy-smooth, classic nutty burley flavour...but up here, I have only seen CB, Sail, and Amphora as OTC offerings, no PA, CH, H&H, etc.

teddy

Lurker
Oct 17, 2010
I LIKE HALF & HALF PA C. HALL PALADIN BLACK CHERRY , FIELD & STREAM KENTUCKY CLUB MIXTURE. SIR WALTER RALEIGH , MIXTURE 79 THE LIST COULD GO ON. SOME OF THESE ARE NO LONGER AROUND. :D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Schmitzbitz,
Since I started smoking a pipe here in Newfoundland around 15-16 months ago I've seen very similar brands. Captain Black White, Amphora Full Aroma or Original, Sail Green or Yellow, Borkum Riff Cherry, MacBaren's Vanilla Cream, Scottish Mixture, Plumcake, and a few Brighams.
Of all those, I've only seen CBW and Sail Green consistently. Fortunately, I like both of those a little. Unfortunately, they are horrendously expensive and I haven't bought any locally over the last year.
I'm going to light up some PS Balkan Supreme instead :puffy:
I don't have a favourite OTC because so far there's much better tobacco out there. Between CBW and Sail Green, I'd go with the latter... though sweet it is a little more savoury with a light anise/latakia component that can be quite nice when it's dried.

scott306

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I think next time I go for a pouch I'll give Amphora original a go.But as of right now I am limited to Amphora full aromatic and CB gold.So I guess they're my favorites so far.Nothing else is available to me.Unless I can get it online.But I'm not sure if I can get tobacco from the US to Canada with out paying out my butt.

Happy smoking! :puffy:

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
SWR will always be my favorite i suppose--it was the first tobacco for me--they say you never forget....hmmmmmmm--oh well, let's not go there--
PA is next -- a very close second--
i really like the taste of CH but just can't smoke it--it irritates my entire mouth--i can't even use it to mix; even small quantities cause the problem--aggravating--this was not always the case--50 years ago CH caused no problem--

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have one. But my Dad used to smoke Amphora Red for years - maybe I will try some at some point. I always loved the aroma of his pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I hear you loud and clear, teddy ;). Amphora is ok, I guess. MacBaren Gold is better though (after some speed aging in the oven).

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Amphora Red didn't do anything for me at first. I didn't enjoy the fruity taste or slightly floral aroma. It sat in a drawer until all the moisture evaporated and the casing faded and then I found it to be enjoyable enough when my other tobaccos ran out. I can't say I've smelled it from the pipe of another; that might be lovely, for all I know.
Scott,

You should definitely try to order from a US etailer, as per our last conversation. Keep it below 200g with 4noggins, short of a guarantee I can seriously state that you are unlikely to be hit with additional charges; one order will be cheaper than a single pouch from your B&M! He who hesitates is lost! You won't regret your order.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I smoked Amphora Brown for 20 years exclusivley but then they decided not to ship to the US and they lost a reslly loyal customer.
I am going to throw one out that I really like a lot when I want a burley. That is Middletons Cherry Blend. Though I have smoked it off and on for years, I have never tasted cherry in it so I don't know ehy they gave igt that name. But it sure is tasty and smooth. I also smoke a lot of Half and Half and PA in my cobs.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Anyone ever hear of "Admiral" tobacco? I saw this in CVS the other day and it was super cheap AND it actually got pretty decent to very good reviews on one of the tobacco review sites.
Interesting. Looked like approx. 8 to 10 ounces for 9 bucks. Came in Vanilla and Cherry. Maybe I will pick up some of the Vanilla as I have wayyyyyyyy too much cherry baccy already.

Status
Not open for further replies.