PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Tslex, I can hardly fault you for the G19. I bought one for the wife quite a while back, and it got traded off for a Smith Detective Special in .45 ACP, which I now have as a desk gun, and she ended up with a Smith MP40C. The 19 was a fine piece, but for whatever reason she had difficulties in handling it, due to the size of the grips. I probably should have kept it.
I have had only one Glock, and that was a G27. It performed well, but it just didn't fit any of the parameters of what it was intended for, at least for me. It didn't do well as a CCW, and it wasn't big enough for a general defense piece. I think for plain-clothes LEO's, who spend a lot of time at the desk, it would have been perfect, and I do know (or used to know) a lot of those who carried it just for that.
But, all in all, for an "average sized" male, the K-frame Smith and the G-19/23 might be the most perfect combat handguns systems ever designed. Hate to stick it to the 1911 like that, but it is my opinion, anyhow.

rxman

Lurker
Jul 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Shotgun = Remington 870 Magnum

Handgun = Taurus Judge Tracker .410/.45 Colt 6.5 in. barrel

also, a Beretta .32 cal. Pocket Pistol

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@Portacast,
That is absolutely the most valid criticism of the G19 -- it has a grip like an only slightly camferred 2X4. So not only is it uncomfortable for many, it greatly exacerbates the the smallest error in grip. (Folks who criticize the pistol's "safety" often don't understand how it works.) The M&P is a very similar system, with a more comfortable and customizable grip -- I suspect they have eaten a bunch of Glock marketshare because of it. You've got the key -- find what works for YOU (or your wife, in this case) and then get good training, repeat the training often enough to keep it fresh, and fire lots of rounds in ways that make for good practice.
@Irish,
JMB's century-old pistol is, in my view, simply the finest pistol design possible and the best compromise of power and convenience that does not require a sling or a forward air controller.
I have several 1911s (all full-size government models) and there is no pistol I shoot better.
My trouble over the last 35 years has been finding a 1911 that doesn't have a failure rate of 1 in 1000 -- or often more. One FTF or FTE in 1000 is fine for IDPA or IPSC or the range, I suppose. But I've never encountered a 1911 that didn't hiccup now and then.
Funny, my most reliable 1911s are a bone stock Kimber Royal and a highly worked Colt. But I also have decent stock 1911s and well customized ones that simply can't be counted on. They all run on Wilson mags. So it's not a question of "leave alone" or "tune the hell out of it." Some run; some don't; none is as close to 100% as I demand for a carry gun.
(Also, I find 1911, even fullsize, perfectly easy to conceal. The thing sideways dimension is nice.)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
TSLEX - May I ask how you are carrying the 1911 concealed? And how does it feel sitting down at a meal or coffee?
One of the biggest issues, for me, is my attire. I don't wear a jacket/sport coat ever, and I refuse to wear those safari looking "concealment shirts". I have taken to wearing 511 and LA - Police "polo style" shirts when I go out, and when worn "outside the pants", I can probably conceal my PLR-16. But, in most cases, i am wearing some version of a t-shirt and the 642 is what works best.
I have a Taurus 1911, one of their "factory custom" pieces, and man is it a shooter. I might like to carry it on occasion concealed, but have yet to find a way to do it. I have a paddle holster with the button style retention that is decently comfortable, but it doesn't really qualify as concealable, unless you just mean covered by a long ass shirt.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
imag1207.jpg

taurusb.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@Portacast,
Because of the length, when I carry a 1911 it is IWB. Then just about anything will cover it. It works IWB since it is relatively thin.
I carry the Glock 19 about 199 days out of 200, though. I use a TT Gunleather OWB. I wear a suit to work everyday (or at least a jacket), so that's not an issue. Weekends it's usually a guayabera or a camp shirt, worn untucked.
The decision to carry includes having to make some sartorial compromises, that's true.
When I need deeper cover or cannot wear on my waist, I like a PM9 in a pocket holster by a small Florida maker. My wife calls it my "tuxedo gun."

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Yeah, I feel you on all of the above.
If I truly want to carry the big iron concealed, I have several Don Hume holsters. One will fit both the Model 66's and the Bulldog Pug and wear comfortably on the belt. I am a revolver fan, although I offer no unique "tactical reasons" for being one, and claim no superiority of them over semi-autos. I would likely carry the 4" Model 66 and 2 speed loaders on the belt, and one speed strip in my pocket if I truly wanted to go out and walk with a stagger, instead of one of my full size semi's.
I purchased two Kydex belt holsters by Uncle Mikes for the J-frames, as they were on close out. It will be interesting to see how they work out, as I am used to carrying the J frame IWB.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I carry a Springfield 1911 GI in a IWB Bianchi Holster. Keep a spare mag in my weak side pocket. Never have any trouble maintaining concealment and it's very reliable. Only mods I've done are cosmetic. Smooth Ebony grips with allen screws. I did some slicking up of the feed ramp and ejection port after I got it.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Ever since I was a little boy, I dreamed of owning a rifle, along with a pistol. The feel if the wood stock against your cheek, and smell of gun powder, and the thrill of firing it. But alas, my father is from a New York background, and saw guns as something only police, thugs, rednecks and the miliarty have.
That said, when I am out of college and on my own, I do plan to own a rifle or two. I also dream of owning a certin pistol, but finding one is no easy task.
1287721364.jpg

Above is the Mauser C96 'Red 9'. It fires the 9x19 Parabellum. Ever since I saw it as a child, I wanted it. It has a certian "ugliness" to it which draws me to it, and yet, a certian amount of love. Nobody seems to understand my love for this pistol.
As for rifles, that changes every day. I plan on hanging it over the fireplace, and making up some boogus story to tell people, just for a good laugh.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Ahh yes, the broomhandled Mauser. I'm with you misterrogers I've always been fascinated with that pistol. I do believe it came with a wooden "holster" that was actually a stock to make it riflelike. You could have the best of both worlds. Myself I do some competitive shooting in NRA Bullseye so my gun box has a Hammerli 280(a .22 which can convert to .32), 2 Caspian .45s, 2 Beretta 92s, 2 S&W 686 .357. Also a Henry lever .22, a Remington .22, a Remington 1100 Trap, a Winchester 12 ga., and 1941 Luger.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
My all time favorite handgun is the Kahr K40, a beautiful weapon with excellent stopping power especially when loaded with .40 caliber S&W hollow points. Since I live in South Florida, hold a carry license and generally dress for the heat, I find my Sig Sauer P238 .380 to be a very reasonable alternative. Hanady makes a polymer-filled hollow point round that makes this little monster a perfect afternoon companion.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Is that a package deal you're hoping to get Hobie?

my loaded gun is pointing upward like her gun is, but I think the one in front would spend my entire magazine in one shot, and leave the one in back laughing at me. 8O :rofl:

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
One of my favorites.

Colt Single Action Army "Peacemaker".

357 Magnum. Will shoot .38 specials all day long if you're on a low budget.

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
As soon as I have some cash, and don't spend it all on Peterson pipes, I'd like to to get a S&W .357 revolver, or a M1 Garand. I love .357 revolvers, though, such beautiful functionality.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
The M1 Garand is one of the sweetest weapons one may ever have the opportunity to fire. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine...with one failure, due to a bad round. And accurate...pretty, just a generally awesome weapon. I would go so far as to say the greatest rifle ever made.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had a couple of misfeeds on the 1911 with JHP ammo before I slicked up the feed ramp, but hadn't had a problem since. I always shoot quality brass and never LRN bullets through it. I had a Glock 21 and if I had to carry a holster gun for work, that'd be the one. If the baddie can survive 13 .45 hollowpoints taking a high-speed tour through his torso he can tell me how ugly it is as I load another magazine. The g-21's handle is too fat for concealed carry. the 1911 is perfect for me. If Texas ever enacts open carry, I'm getting a Colt SAA in .45LC, a poncho and a cheroot.

Status
Not open for further replies.