PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Tonight? Believe it or not, I'm smoking a De Nobili so, it's my favorite at the moment. Most often I prefer many brands, Churchill in size. As in pipe blends I have four or six favorites. It's usually dependent on what I had for a repast. And, what I'm drinking at the time.
I also enjoy Churchill. I like to get a solid hour or better out of a cigar Churchill fits the bill.

Avanti makes great cigars. I love and keep stocked on De Nobili Fired Cured. Way better than KFC in my opinion. Haven't had one in a while though, been piping more often than not.

Last edited:

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
My taste change concerning my favorite. I really am enjoying most of the AJ Fernandez blends currently ( with a couple exceptions) right now. For cheap sticks the Oliva seconds are ok. Good call on the Master Blend 3 👍l I am still not a super experienced cigar guy but is sure do enjoy them. I really enjoy all the wrappers, strengths and vitolas in there time a place. I really want to try a Cuban stick just to say I have 😁

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
My taste change concerning my favorite. I really am enjoying most of the AJ Fernandez blends currently ( with a couple exceptions) right now. For cheap sticks the Oliva seconds are ok. Good call on the Master Blend 3 👍l I am still not a super experienced cigar guy but is sure do enjoy them. I really enjoy all the wrappers, strengths and vitolas in there time a place. I really want to try a Cuban stick just to say I have 😁
Closest to a real Cuban is a Cameroon.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean

Just make sure you get a 'decent' one. Just because it's Cuban doesn't mean the quality is good, I've had a few minor irritations/disappointments having to open the draw, leaf unwrapping etc
I'd suggest a Partagas for consistency

I mostly stopped spending my hard earned on Cuban and switched to Davidoff (Dominican) just to make sure the quality could be counted on, as well as everything else you want from a decent cigar

Nice cigars are just too dammed expensive to tolerate any inconsistency

Reactions: AlanH

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Just make sure you get a 'decent' one. Just because it's Cuban doesn't mean the quality is good, I've had a few minor irritations/disappointments having to open the draw, leaf unwrapping etc
I'd suggest a Partagas for consistency

I mostly stopped spending my hard earned on Cuban and switched to Davidoff (Dominican) just to make sure the quality could be counted on, as well as everything else you want from a decent cigar

Nice cigars are just too dammed expensive to tolerate any inconsistency
I agree with you, too many fakes, and Cubans are over rated anyways. They're only elite because we cant buy them. A lot of better stuff. I like Nicaraguan and Cameroon. Which are a lot like Cubans anyways.

Reactions: kcghost and AlanH

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Closest to a real Cuban is a Cameroon.

Couldn't disagree more, but different strokes for different folks. The closest I've found to Cubans would be a Corojo/Criollo blend, but those are typically Nicaraguan and the terroir couldn't be more different betwixt Nicaraguan and Cuban.

My favorites for nigh on 15 years have been:
Por Larrañaga Monte Carlos
H Upmann Petit Corona (sadly discontinued, so I ration these)
Ramon Allones Specially Selected (much better aged for 7-10 years, so the raisin notes become more musky and honey)

I'll give some honorable mentions to Fuente and their Hype Machine. They need age like a Cuban, but both the Añejo and Opus are heavenly. The Don Arturo and Angel's Share iterations are the tops and I always buy a handful to put back whenever I run across them in the wild, which is rare.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you buy from a non-reputable source Cubans are almost always fake. U.S. customers are usually buying fakes. You buy from a proper provider they are as perfect as God allows a cigar to be. Yes, they are overpriced from a consumer point of view but not from a seller's point of view. Something can't be overpriced if it sells out of the product. There are a number of fine cigars in other countries, but there's only one Cuba.

Reactions: AlanH and Coreios

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
If you buy from a non-reputable source Cubans are almost always fake. U.S. customers are usually buying fakes. You buy from a proper provider they are as perfect as God allows a cigar to be. Yes, they are overpriced from a consumer point of view but not from a seller's point of view. Something can't be overpriced if it sells out of the product. There are a number of fine cigars in other countries, but there's only one Cuba.
Now you make me want to try one even more😁

Reactions: kcghost and Coreios

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

False. Plenty of legit vendors out there. The vendors that got caught peddling fakes in the 90s and early 00s went out of business because customers talk over the internet and there was little to no sales after that. Almost all fakes come from resorts in 3rd world countries, and private sales. The old "they're usually fake" is from stateside marketing hype circa 1995. It was a scare tactic to try and keep people away from the dark side since 1995 saw the first overseas vendors popping up online to send Cubans to whomever wanted them.