Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Keith Richards lives about 15 miles away from me in CT. Some years ago I stopped into a small antique/thrift shop near us and asked if they had any old tobacco pipes. I was told Keith had purchased them the previous week, that he occasionally stopped in and asked for them.

Jan 27, 2020
Keith Richards lives about 15 miles away from me in CT. Some years ago I stopped into a small antique/thrift shop near us and asked if they had any old tobacco pipes. I was told Keith had purchased them the previous week, that he occasionally stopped in and asked for them.

Re: your avatar, are you a bird watcher?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
While he is certainly not a celebrity in the traditional sense, there is a prominent composer in my field (classical music) who is a pipe smoker. Dan Locklair. In fact, like myself, he also plays the pipe organ so he enjoys both smoking and playing pipes! I’ve played a few of his works, and some have become “standard rep” for American organists.

His website(Locklair.com)is full of publicity pics, and in every one he is with a pipe. His music room is obviously his smoking room as well, as at least two of the shots show he has pipes piled high on his piano. Sounds like a good life, surrounded by keyboard instruments and pipes!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not to mention the minor issue of lighting something in a pure oxygen environment! It would light a bit TOO easily.
PURE oxy environment? That doesn't sound quite right. Are you sure?

And, yeah, you can't use gravity feed, but one finger stuff should work fine!

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
PURE oxy environment? That doesn't sound quite right. Are you sure?

And, yeah, you can't use gravity feed, but one finger stuff should work fine!
Yep. AFAIK, all the Apollo capsules used 100 percent pure oxygen, even after the fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew. Apparently OSHA didn’t have jurisdiction over NASA! (Actually, OSHA didn’t exist until 1970).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back in the heyday of smoking in general, ones preferred smoke was a trademark often included in informal portraits by portrait photographers or photo journalists. This was driven home when all of the allied world leaders were pictured with their smoking gear: Roosevelt with his cigarette holder; MacArthur with his tall corncob pipes; Churchill with his fat cigar; and Stalin with his pipe, and many other folks who followed this trend. Today most leaders and celebrities high and low wouldn't ever be intentionally photographed smoking. Just not well accepted as a public gesture anymore. Senator Fred Thompson was frequently pictured with his pipes at the Watergate hearings, among the last of a fading breed.