SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Social scientist surveying online comments have a very hard time with sarcasm, throws their results off. I remember reading an article about it, and how frustrated they were, because you still need human intervention to decipher if something is sarcasm or not, which hinders their ability to just search for key words.

Some people have a hard time with sarcasm in person so no doubt it often poorly translates online.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
From what I understand tobacco was discovered in America by the native people that held it as a sacred process of smoking. Not concerned with age. It kind of funny how many pipe smokers have ritual in the smoking of their pipes.
I'm re-reading Carl Ehwa's, The Book of Pipes & Tobacco and the history, like you mention, is very interesting. Highly recommended.
1667508111733.png

Reactions: ARTOPUT
Mar 1, 2014
Title shortened. Please use title niceties as stated in Rule 9!

Original: MY family say the pipe smoking is for old man

Hey folks, how would you react for such speeches ? I think people just think stereotypes rule the world, nothing more.

I much prefer to think of pipes as a "Dad" thing, physiologically Nicotine (and the carcinogens from smoke in general) does have an impact on your genetic health and technically the human race will be most healthy of people don't consume Nicotine until after they're done having kids.

Reactions: jb235

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Title shortened. Please use title niceties as stated in Rule 9!

Original: MY family say the pipe smoking is for old man

Hey folks, how would you react for such speeches ? I think people just think stereotypes rule the world, nothing more.
Lot's of folks, including my family tell me stuff like that. Flat caps, cardigans, pipes, baggers... they are for old geezers. I'm 42 but I've got a lot of miles on me. 🤣