PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Share the American Heart Association and US Surgeon Generals report on smoking from the early 1960's, that also studied pipe smokers. In the study, the pipe smokers lived several years longer than the non-smokers. Tell them you will miss them those last few years.
Although accurate and true, that study is 60 years old. Just as in medicinal matters I prefer modern medicines and modern procedures, I would prefer that there was a more recent study. What I can say is that I am 47 years old and have smoked a pipe since my mid-20s and my lung studies this year show no evidence of being a smoker, even though I have also smoked cigarettes although never much and i quit years ago

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Share the American Heart Association and US Surgeon Generals report on smoking from the early 1960's, that also studied pipe smokers. In the study, the pipe smokers lived several years longer than the non-smokers. Tell them you will miss them those last few years.
If you dig into and aggregate all the health studies on pipe smokers or cigar smokers there is danger. With both the danger starts showing up in people who fit the old Groucho Marx joke of "...I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth sometimes". The studies are all lacking on one way they measure number of smokes no mention of chamber size but even if they're smoking a bantam sized pipe or nosewarmer they'd have to mostly be lighting one after another and frankly smoking fast to hit the danger zone. Where as even a semi regular use of cigs can leave noticable health effects (a few over the weekend probably won't kill you, but it will effect your breathing measurably).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Family Insults? By the time I get to this point in the thread, I am not sure what the original OP was. However, it's not nice to insult people's families... even if they are weirdos. puffy
you can insult my family all you want. I'll put it this way, after people get to know my family they're shocked that I am a functional human being without a garden of human bones. Now my brother leave him alone he's a bit off but he's a good guy and impressive with a guitar.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Well, if the youngins are the ones asking the question (like my kids or nieces and nephews), the response I like using is:

Damn, you actually pulled you nose up from your phone long enough to notice something in your surroundings? I'm quite impressed, I guess there's hope for you after all.

If it's someone my age or older:

Well, smoking a pipe is for the wisest of folk, but don't feel bad, you may get there eventually.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Getting insulted by a family member can hurt. After all, they are your blood. Maybe not your wife, she's from different parents. That's why she might call you an asshole now and then. And you will have to put her in her place occasionally. So she can call you an asshole again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Of
Although accurate and true, that study is 60 years old. Just as in medicinal matters I prefer modern medicines and modern procedures, I would prefer that there was a more recent study. What I can say is that I am 47 years old and have smoked a pipe since my mid-20s and my lung studies this year show no evidence of being a smoker, even though I have also smoked cigarettes although never much and i quit years ago
Of course, you want to omit that part. But, it gets a rise out of the person arguing, every time, and they don't believe it.

I have a whole spiel:
- you know if course that cigarette smokers have a high incidence of lung cancer, right?
- but I bet you actually never read the study where this first came to light, right?
- that's OK, lots of people blindly accept what they're told, without doing they're own research.
- I can send the study to you (I used to keep a copy in my dropbox)
- they immediately dismiss it
- my retort, "well, you can't pick and choose what part of the study your going to believe"

I've just always had a lot of fun with skeptics. They never give in.

That's when I end with: "please, take up the pipe and enjoy those extra years with me."

Reactions: romaso and Alejo R.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've got a retired, rather liberal, judge for a younger brother. A very successful older, conservative brother. I'm a rather solid libertarian. We've always been able to argue our positions civilly and treat each other with a certain respect. You asked the question, I responded. No need for name calling. But, you did provide a bit more insight into your personality. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2020
I've got a retired, rather liberal, judge for a younger brother. A very successful older, conservative brother. I'm a rather solid libertarian. We've always been able to argue our positions civilly and treat each other with a certain respect. You asked the question, I responded. No need for name calling. But, you did provide a bit more insight into your personality. Thanks.

Nice!

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Unfortunately words on a screen are hard to convey sarcasm.
Social scientist surveying online comments have a very hard time with sarcasm, throws their results off. I remember reading an article about it, and how frustrated they were, because you still need human intervention to decipher if something is sarcasm or not, which hinders their ability to just search for key words.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff