PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Have had two of them and although they smoke well I find them to be "butt ugly".
That being said, yes I believe that the ascetics of a pipe are important to me...

Reactions: anotherbob

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
As a dedicated Falcon smoker for 50 years, most of you who bad mouth these pipes (other than the aesthetics, admittedly) don’t know what you’re talking about. Aluminum taste, my ass. These pipes smoke beautifully if you do the minimum maintenance and they are practical and durable.
Having fun at our expense is one thing (ok by me) but turning newbs away from these pipes is really unnecessary and counterproductive.
Ssshhhh 🤫 We rely on lots of bad mouthing to keep down prices

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
There's always haters no matter what you look into, they're not a 'traditional look' and some don't float that idea.

I admit not using mine as much, but they work fine and I've never had a problem.
I'll join @verporchting and @sasquatch saying the airway is smaller so you'll need skinny pipe cleaners, that's probably the worst thing about them.

They look quite different and yes the chamber is a bit smaller with most bowls, and looks silly imo with the XL bowls, but I've not personally had an issue with the couple I have, dry rings aren't exactly necessary and if smoked right there isn't any heat.

They're not expensive so I'd say try one, look for one used and it's even cheaper.

Reactions: edger
Jan 27, 2020
As a dedicated Falcon smoker for 50 years, most of you who bad mouth these pipes (other than the aesthetics, admittedly) don’t know what you’re talking about. Aluminum taste, my ass. These pipes smoke beautifully if you do the minimum maintenance and they are practical and durable.
Having fun at our expense is one thing (ok by me) but turning newbs away from these pipes is really unnecessary and counterproductive.

I really don't know what these Falcon hating pipers are smoking!

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I just got one in and a couple of extra bowls for it, from GQ Tobaccos, who were easy to order from and great btw.

I got the bent stem in black and really like the aesthetic. Though I will say I don't like the look of the silver ones.

My intention with it was to use it in place or with my corncobs when I'm traveling, camping, or sailing, anywhere that I wouldn't want to bring and potentially lose one of my treasured pipes. Having three bowls for it, it's working out perfectly to cut down my pipe packing and still be able to rest bowls in between. I've got three pipes in one! and if I lose a bowl or the whole thing I'm only out 20-40 bucks, and not say 350 dollars and heartbroken.

So far I really like it, I haven't noticed any kind of metal taste compared to my normal briars. It smokes great, it's easy to clean. I've been using the little pipe cleaner "rings" for it and they are easy enough to just toss and replace between bowls.

Someone posted here recommending the little Nording pipe rocks (sorry I can't remember who it was) and I got some of those but haven't tried them yet.

I know this is the "negatives" thread but so far I can't say I've got anything to complain about!

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Ive got a couple of the American Falcons that don’t use a gasket. Can you use one of the newer meerschaum bowls with gasket on the older American pipes ?

Thanks

Mac

Jan 27, 2020
I just got one in and a couple of extra bowls for it, from GQ Tobaccos, who were easy to order from and great btw.

I got the bent stem in black and really like the aesthetic. Though I will say I don't like the look of the silver ones.

My intention with it was to use it in place or with my corncobs when I'm traveling, camping, or sailing, anywhere that I wouldn't want to bring and potentially lose one of my treasured pipes. Having three bowls for it, it's working out perfectly to cut down my pipe packing and still be able to rest bowls in between. I've got three pipes in one! and if I lose a bowl or the whole thing I'm only out 20-40 bucks, and not say 350 dollars and heartbroken.

So far I really like it, I haven't noticed any kind of metal taste compared to my normal briars. It smokes great, it's easy to clean. I've been using the little pipe cleaner "rings" for it and they are easy enough to just toss and replace between bowls.

Someone posted here recommending the little Nording pipe rocks (sorry I can't remember who it was) and I got some of those but haven't tried them yet.

I know this is the "negatives" thread but so far I can't say I've got anything to complain about!

No one actually tastes anything metallic from a Falcon. Maybe the people who report as much here have been doing at home dentistry with tin foil or something!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't care for the aesthetic of the Kirstens or Falcons because I'd rather have some expertly carved briar or meerschaum to admire, but to each their own.
It's the aesthetics for me, too. In general, I don't like metal stems regardless of quality.

And not a hater! Just because I don't have or use one and don't like its aesthetics doesn't mean I - or anyone - is a hater.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never held one or smoked one. To my eye they are ugly as sin. When SSJones aka Al says their stems suck and life is too short for lousy stems I take his word for it. I am a freak about the stems on my pipes. They have to be hand made from the finest German vulcanite or I don't own the pipe.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
It's the aesthetics for me, too. In general, I don't like metal stems regardless of quality.

And not a hater! Just because I don't have or use one and don't like its aesthetics doesn't mean I - or anyone - is a hater.
I’m with you. The aesthetics are important to me and I just don’t like the way they look. I could not care less, and certainly don’t hate, anyone with different tastes. I greatly like IPA beer and half and half in my coffee. If you prefer wheat beer and sugar in your coffee, good for you.