PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have one & another on the way. Both are older American models. Other than aesthetics, which is personal, the biggest potential disadvantage I see is for guys with XL big beefy hands. The metal can get hot
& burn fingers if you’re not careful. But on the other hand, this can give
one instant feedback if you tend to puff too hard & fast like a freight train.

Reactions: UB 40

Twasson81

Lurker
Aug 22, 2022
A Falcon was one of my first pipes. It smokes fine. That was before I had a better understanding of the importance of stem engineering and a preference for an open draw. I may smoke it again soon to compare with my artisan pipes.

• Love
Reactions: edger

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I can honestly say that the pipe rarely leaves my mouth when smoking, particularly Falcon pipes. They're so light that they just hang there so touching hot aluminum is not a problem for me.

But people seem to either love them or hate them with very little in between. Like everything, they have their benefits and their drawbacks. People will make up their own minds.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have always been amazed how many devoted fans these pipes engender. Considering you are looking at a hollowed out wooden door nob sitting on a body composed of re-smelted Colt 45 liquor can ring pulls. An airway formed from a recycled hydraulic brake cable with a plastic mouthpiece I suppose it is quite a feet of marketing.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
As a dedicated Falcon smoker for 50 years, most of you who bad mouth these pipes (other than the aesthetics, admittedly) don’t know what you’re talking about. Aluminum taste, my ass. These pipes smoke beautifully if you do the minimum maintenance and they are practical and durable.
Having fun at our expense is one thing (ok by me) but turning newbs away from these pipes is really unnecessary and counterproductive.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
As a dedicated Falcon smoker for 50 years, most of you who bad mouth these pipes (other than the aesthetics, admittedly) don’t know what you’re talking about. Aluminum taste, my ass. These pipes smoke beautifully if you do the minimum maintenance and they are practical and durable.
Having fun at our expense is one thing (ok by me) but turning newbs away from these pipes is really unnecessary and counterproductive.

I have had six of them with a variety of bowls. They absolutely do have a metallic taste at first. The OP asked specifically about potential negatives, so don't be surprised when people aren't shooting rainbows from their backsides about them.
If you like it, smoke it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In this hobby even the 'newbies' are often already grandparents already, or at the very least in their late teens...I would think most people browsing these forums for the first time see a fairly strong flavour note of personal preference and opinion...