PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I read that Falcon's are very popular. A lot of people seem to like them. They seem reasonably priced being slightly more than a fancy cob. Their special features do seem to work.
Yet, I sometimes see some hostility towards them. Why is that?
I agree their styling is a bit different which might not appeal. I am a bit on the fence regarding their appearance myself.
Other than what they look like, what's wrong with them?
Would a "normal" briar of the same value be better?
Just curious.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I have one with two different bowls. heres my humble opinion. I like it. I don’t like all the messing about with the little ring you have to put down before you put the bowl on. I cut my own from pipe cleaners. You can get three rings from a standard pipe cleaner. I am glad I have it, but don’t think I’d buy another bowl. I traded for it for a pipe stand I made. So I never actually paid any money for it. I think for the price if you are on the fence I’d personally get one.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yet, I sometimes see some hostility towards them. Why is that?
Haters will always hate. Read any thread about Dunhill, Peterson, cobs, P&C, the post office etc. and people feel obligated to post their negative feelings about said product.

I did it today in the BLT thread. I hate Miracle Whip and nobody is going to change my mind about it.

Jan 27, 2020
I have one with two different bowls. heres my humble opinion. I like it. I don’t like all the messing about with the little ring you have to put down before you put the bowl on. I cut my own from pipe cleaners. You can get three rings from a standard pipe cleaner. I am glad I have it, but don’t think I’d buy another bowl. I traded for it for a pipe stand I made. So I never actually paid any money for it. I think for the price if you are on the fence I’d personally get one.

The rings aren't necessary but the do wick moisture.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The rings aren't necessary but the do wick moisture.
I've found that cotton balls actually work better for it and are easier to use and clean up. I don't use them, but I've tried it and it works better then the dry rings in my opinion.
As far as issues with Falcons they're not classically pretty and the chambers are kind of small. That's about all I can think of. In fact for me the main reason I don't reach for mine more often is simply the size.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
As above, looks funky, the rings are slightly annoying but do work and can be cut from pipe cleaners, only thinner pipe cleaners work but that’s not a big deal, occasionally the threads on the bowl can get stripped if you use gorilla strength but that’s on you, and lastly the bits are not super wonderful. The bits don’t suck but … almost. Could be better for sure.

Having said all that, but one, you won’t regret it. Totally worth the money, smokes great, easy no fuss pipes and easy to clench because featherlight. Cleaning is a breeze too.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I bought a really cool NOS blue one many years ago fm the lady who used to sell them on ebay. The bit was not flat but very round for me. Was not comfortable. Just my preference. Not sure about the new ones.

Reactions: yanoJL
Aug 20, 2022
I don't care for the aesthetic of the Kirstens or Falcons because I'd rather have some expertly carved briar or meerschaum to admire, but to each their own.

Reactions: SaxonX and SBC

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
With any brand there are those who love them unreservedly, ones who hate them and fence-sitters

I had a straight black-stemmed one which I bought in the 1970s.
I gifted it to a mate who was just getting back to pipes and looking to buy one.

I didn’t dislike it. The bowl was a bit smaller than my preferred size. And I was getting into old Britwoods.
So it wasn’t getting much love

They are lightweight and extra bowls are inexpensive and readily available (including meerschaum).

They are a great option if you’re travelling - just the one stem and several bowls makes it an easy carry.

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Falcon I enjoy, but smoke very little. I think the moisture trap is just enough of a maintenance item, just enough different, that I am aware of the extra time and trouble. I cut the moisture rings out of pipe cleaners, so it is an extra step, no more than regular pipe maintenance, but not as ingrained a habit. I think people who smoke mostly Falcons have it down cold, and don't notice the difference. My Falcon is my Mixture No. 79 pipe.

They're light weight, durable, and you can pack extra bowls if you have them, all for the same stem. I have the bronzed color stem which I prefer.

Hidiho

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I have 6 Falcons and 7 bowls ranging from the 70's to 2021, last year when I purchased my last stem I grabbed a meerschaum lined bowl at the same time and it didn't fit, but did find it fitted my oldest stem and a tight fit on second oldest stem...

Ironically only 2 of my bowls fit all my stems (both Dublins)

So even though Falcons stems and bowls are suppose to interchangeable, in some cases there not....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have at least half a dozen Falcon pipes (and even more bowls) of varying vintage.

One thing I noticed was some have removeable stems, others have stems seemingly glued in place.

I never figured out why they did that.

When all is said and done, provided you fit a (homemade) absorbent ring, they're pretty good smokers despite their quirky looks.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: romaso