PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
If you’re having trouble seating it, take it off, flip it over, put it back on. Use a fingernail to press it flush to the bottom of the threaded bit. Run your fingernail in the thread to press it flush. Viola!

View attachment 72157

The ID of the gasket is a bit smaller than the OD at the bottom of the threads. Here you can see the right side is flush, while left is not fully seated. Just work it with your fingernail to get it down to the bottom. Once you’ve done that, place the bowl back on and carefully engage the threads. Screw it in using even force pushing it down and twist. Don’t overdo it and turn the bowl slowly not more than a 1/4 turn.
I tried exactly what you describe here - many times. But there was no joy. I am pretty sure the threads on the stem are at fault.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would like to report that the seller (GQ Tobaccos) was kind enough to pay for the return postage, and they also shipped out a straight stem that attaches very well with the billiard bowl that I have. Full marks to the seller! I have a full pipe now - time to figure out how to use it ;)
It’s possible the threaded area got smacked and was put out of round. This would cause it not to thread.
I had one that was bent very slightly and allowed a small air leak... wanna know the solution? Put the stem where the bowl connects flat on a piece of wood or countertop you don’t care about and smack the bottom a few times with your palm. It straightens the top to level and solved my issue.

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
It’s possible the threaded area got smacked and was put out of round. This would cause it not to thread.
I had one that was bent very slightly and allowed a small air leak... wanna know the solution? Put the stem where the bowl connects flat on a piece of wood or countertop you don’t care about and smack the bottom a few times with your palm. It straightens the top to level and solved my issue.
I had checked every aspects of this - the metal bowl was shaped properly. Threads were the culprit. Please see the attached picture - which I should have uploaded initially - sorry about that!

Attachments

• Falcon-Stem_LI.jpg
    Falcon-Stem_LI.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
While it's hard to tell from the photo, it would appear to me that the threads didn't fully fill out during the casting process. Seems to be some voids.

Wanna know how to fix it...? Find a board or a countertop. Smack your head against it 3-4 times...

Get ahold of the vendor, ask for a replacement.

Vendor sends replacement.

Problem solved...;)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
While it's hard to tell from the photo, it would appear to me that the threads didn't fully fill out during the casting process. Seems to be some voids.

Wanna know how to fix it...? Find a board or a countertop. Smack your head against it 3-4 times...

Problem solved...;)
BEAUTIFUL GENIUS POSTING STAND BACK

Reactions: jpberg

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021

Problem solved...;)
I got the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.