PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I just bought a Falcon straight stem and a Billiard smooth bowl. The bowl came with a plastic (or rubber) gasket ring. The issue is that the bowl doesn't screw on to the stem well - it just slips and doesn't stay. If I remove the gasket ring, it screws on well, but I am thinking that there will be smoke leak which I could check by blowing air through the stem. I have never owned a Falcon before. Is this a common issue with Falcon pipes - becasue peiple must be purchasing stems and bowls from different sources? Is something wrong with the stem or the bowl? I will appreciate any insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I just bought a Falcon straight stem and a Billiard smooth bowl. The bowl came with a plastic (or rubber) gasket ring. The issue is that the bowl doesn't screw on to the stem well - it just slips and doesn't stay. If I remove the gasket ring, it screws on well, but I am thinking that there will be smoke leak which I could check by blowing air through the stem. I have never owned a Falcon before. Is this a common issue with Falcon pipes - becasue peiple must be purchasing stems and bowls from different sources? Is something wrong with the stem or the bowl? I will appreciate any insight.
I have seven bowls and three stems and this problem is news to me. These pipes smoke beautifully and are economical. You may have gotten a badly machined bowl but this, in my experience, is quite rare. Don't reject the Falcon because of this as most of us are very dedicated to them and find them reliable and practical. Keep me posted

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
What you are experiencing is almost unheard of in my experience. Stock Falcon bowls fit perfectly. I've been smoking Falcons since 1972 and I've never heard of this. I don't know what to say.
Thanks for your comment. I suspect the thread are not engaging as they should when the ring is on. I will have a closer look at the threads of the bowl and the stem.

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
End of subject... puffy
I have read some conversations in some other groups that although the bowl fitted well without the ring, the smoke or the gunk did leak at some time. The solution for them was to use the teflon tape (used in plumbing) on the bowl threads to prevent that. Now, for me to find out if it leaks or not, I will have to use the pipe and the bowl - both of which are new - and blow away the possibility of returning the defective component - if any.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
All newer falcon bowls have a gasket ring that older eyes may have trouble seeing. ?

Brobs is correct. They are brown flat rings that are intended to seal the bowl without excessive torquing. Occasionally they need to “seat” when they are new. I just use the bowl the way it arrives and after a few ons and offs it settles in.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia

where did you buy it? Everyone but eBay are out and I’d like to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.