Excise Tax on Tobacco Shipped Within the United States?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have never seen this before, paylesscigarsandpipes has a few tins I was going to grab, they are in Florida so even better as I'm supporting a local B&M shop.

Grab what I want and I'm a happy camper right up until the image below, I have never seen this before, I called them thinking there was a mistake and according to "Kimmy" anything not wrapped in leaf, as in a cigar, is considered bulk and they charge an excise tax.

Has anyone else seen this at any other vendors? Needless to say I will not be placing any orders with them at anytime, ever.

View attachment 157640
Florida imposes a $1.33 a pack cigarette tax, and 85% of the invoice tax on smoking tobacco, chew, and snuff; but zero taxes on cigars. This is only on sales to Florida customers.

So a $93.76 excise tax on a $147.50 means the markup on the product is nearly fifty per cent.

If I ordered the same thing here in Missouri, if they charged me Missouri 10% excise tax it would have been about $10.

Most of my online orders, don’t get the excise tax added, nor our local sales tax.

I’ve been for the idea of federalism, each state having control over local taxes, all my life.

And this is the sad side of that.

Pipe smokers in Florida should order out of state.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Florida imposes a $1.33 a pack cigarette tax, and 85% of the invoice tax on smoking tobacco, chew, and snuff; but zero taxes on cigars. This is only on sales to Florida customers.

So a $93.76 excise tax on a $147.50 means the markup on the product is nearly fifty per cent.

If I ordered the same thing here in Missouri, if they charged me Missouri 10% excise tax it would have been about $10.

Most of my online orders, don’t get the excise tax added, nor our local sales tax.

I’ve been for the idea of federalism, each state having control over local taxes, all my life.

And this is the sad side of that.

Pipe smokers in Florida should order out of state.
I do, unless it's a B&M then I'll buy a tin or something to support them. Also seems this thread came back to life =D

Reactions: Briar Lee

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have never seen this before, paylesscigarsandpipes has a few tins I was going to grab, they are in Florida so even better as I'm supporting a local B&M shop.

Grab what I want and I'm a happy camper right up until the image below, I have never seen this before, I called them thinking there was a mistake and according to "Kimmy" anything not wrapped in leaf, as in a cigar, is considered bulk and they charge an excise tax.

Has anyone else seen this at any other vendors? Needless to say I will not be placing any orders with them at anytime, ever.

View attachment 157640
If it is something you really want, have it sent out of state to your address where you and your friends live, and then sent back to your weekend address in Florida.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Man, I always thought Abraham Lincoln was fairly wise... But this is one of the least correct things I've ever heard. He must have said this when he was awful young, before he'd gotten to know many of the people lol.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Man, I always thought Abraham Lincoln was fairly wise... But this is one of the least correct things I've ever heard. He must have said this when he was awful young, before he'd gotten to know many of the people lol.
Well, we have no way of knowing whether it's true or not, because the people are never told the truth about anything.

Reactions: Kobold and jpmcwjr

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
We
Well, we have no way of knowing whether it's true or not, because the people are never told the truth about anything.
We certainly know that a large number of "the people" can't be relied upon to meet a national crisis, without inventing conspiracy theories about the government, any given industry, make-believe cabals... or whoever or whatever seems to let them believe what they want.

I don't have much faith in "the people" meeting any sort of crisis these days. 😁

Reactions: bspacc

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
We

We certainly know that a large number of "the people" can't be relied upon to meet a national crisis, without inventing conspiracy theories about the government, any given industry, make-believe cabals... or whoever or whatever seems to let them believe what they want.

I don't have much faith in "the people" meeting any sort of crisis these days. 😁
Well, the majority have bought into the same version of reality as you, so you have no reason to feel lonely.

Reactions: Kobold

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There was a man named Loma Abbot who was a retired superintendent of schools and his wife Jewell taught school at Stockton with my mother.

Loma raised high dollar pointer bird dogs, and he came from a wealthy family.

Loma was our State Senator. He had silver hair, wore impeccable suits, and his manner and speech were both befitting his important status. He’d win hands down every election. Anybody could contact Loma with any problem they had with state government, and he was respected, and people sought his opinions.

In 1962 Jewell came down with cancer, and I remember my folks devastated when she died soon after. Loma was also grieved, but not long after Jewell died Loma would visit at my father’s milk barn bringing along a strikingly beautiful older lady that was his new girfriend.

My mother remarked she ought to not like her, being such a good friend of Jewell’s and all, but she wished them happiness. She made my father promise if she died he’d wait a month after the funeral and after he’d sent the thank you cards, to bring another woman in her house.:)

Thereafter Loma and his girlfriend got married and moved to Springfield, where they built a beautiful new home, and lived happily ever after.

About thirty some years later I asked my mother if Loma was a Republican or a Democrat.

She thought awhile, said she couldn’t remember, and then asked me —

What difference could it have made, what party Loma Abbot was?

What we need as a nation, is more Loma Abbots willing to perform public service.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I prefer this over state income tax. Did 12 years in Southern California and that was just the state raping you constantly.
Every state, including "low tax" states gouge the shit out of you. They just do it in different ways. Think Florida isn't sneaking into your wallet? Do a bit of research. Really. You'll be shocked at what actually happens as opposed to what you've been told to believe. Texas ends up taxing it middle class and lower earners more than California. But if you're wealthy, you get taxed less. Turn off the cable news and go to a research library.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just placed a fairly large (for me) order from SmokingPipes, which does follow the law for selling to my state (Michigan). My tobacco order totaled $223. Michigan excise tax added $46. State tax added another $16. (MI has a 6% sales tax.) So that $223 ended up being just shy of $286.

The first time I ordered after the excise tax went into effect, I was shocked and a little angry. Now… Well, it’s just part of the cost of purchasing tobacco here. I’m not going to not buy tobacco because of it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just placed a fairly large (for me) order from SmokingPipes, which does follow the law for selling to my state (Michigan). My tobacco order totaled $223. Michigan excise tax added $46. State tax added another $16. (MI has a 6% sales tax.) So that $223 ended up being just shy of $286.

The first time I ordered after the excise tax went into effect, I was shocked and a little angry. Now… Well, it’s just part of the cost of purchasing tobacco here. I’m not going to not buy tobacco because of it.

The entire object of taxation should be to raise revenue to build, maintain and staff schools, bridges, courthouses, roads, and provide help to the aged, the disabled, orphans and those who cannot help themselves.

Taxes on sinful luxuries like tobacco, alcohol, and here lately, cannabis, are to be preferred over taxes on bread, milk, and orange juice.

Tobacco taxes should be set to raise revenue, not discourage sinning.

The federal tax on pipe tobacco is $2.88 a pound, about what tobacco farmers get for the leaf. That’s not unreasonable.

The state tax should not be any more, than that.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
It seems like they (whoever) are trying to drive the small B&M tobacco shops out of business by making tobacco to expensive for anyone who just wants to smoke for the enjoyment of smoking. Soon only smokers that "need" to smoke and the very wealthy will be able to afford tobacco. Hope everyone has a very large cellar.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I've seen it when you are a resident of the state where it's coming from. But I haven't experienced it when buying out of state. Which is why I buy online. I live in NY and the tax on tobacco is huge.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've seen it when you are a resident of the state where it's coming from. But I haven't experienced it when buying out of state. Which is why I buy online. I live in NY and the tax on tobacco is huge.

I’ve not been taxed Missouri’s piddly 10% of invoice tax either buying online.

I just spent $100 at Pipes and Cigars.

Asuming $10 postage and pay pal fees, and $90 gross, the cost of the tobaccos might have been $45 at most. That’s $4.50 Missouri tax, if they charged it, which they must not be required to.

Every state, including "low tax" states gouge the shit out of you. Turn off the cable news and go to a research library.
Mostly true - My son lives in Montana - no sales tax and low income taxes and you get to deduct federal taxes on your state return. Of course very little infrastructure/amenities and cold as hell but I for one do not need or want the so-called services in the states i have lived. Whenever I visit him I stock up on alcohol, ammo, food etc, etc. I mule a packed SUV back home :). This summer I'm gonna buy a boat and it's gonna be in Montana ;)

And 100% turn off the cable news or any news for that matter!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Hopefully your state doesn't have use tax or you still need to pay your fair share depending on the state's requirements.

If you don't want to pay for infrastructure, and don't need them as you say, I don't know why you wouldn't just consider living in such a place? I never understand why many people really dislike the current living situation, praise another but stay where they are. Go be happy where you live!

Hopefully your state doesn't have use tax or you still need to pay your fair share depending on the state's requirements.

If you don't want to pay for infrastructure, and don't need them as you say, I don't know why you wouldn't just consider living in such a place? I never understand why many people really dislike the current living situation, praise another but stay where they are. Go be happy where you live!
Umm if you are talking to me - I live where I live because of my job. No jobs for what I do in Montana. So now maybe you understand why some people stay in the state they live in. Others may not have the means to move out of their situation or they suffer from depression or have kids with an x that that don't want to move away from, the list of valid reasons goes on. It's not that hard to figure out now is it? Also, where did I say I dislike my current living situation? I was merely commenting on @sablebrush52's comment that "Every state gouges the shit out of you". From what I know, Montana does not.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Umm if you are talking to me - I live where I live because of my job. No jobs for what I do in Montana. So now maybe you understand why some people stay in the state they live in. Others may not have the means to move out of their situation or they suffer from depression or have kids with an x that that don't want to move away from, the list of valid reasons goes on. It's not that hard to figure out now is it? Also, where did I say I dislike my current living situation? I was merely commenting on @sablebrush52's comment that "Every state gouges the shit out of you". From what I know, Montana does not.
So then it would reckon, you do need and benefit from the societal infrastructure of the area you live in. Very often you get what you pay for.

Now you may understand there’s more than just physical infrastructure that a resident benefits from in their place of life.