Excise Tax on Tobacco Shipped Within the United States?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have never seen this before, paylesscigarsandpipes has a few tins I was going to grab, they are in Florida so even better as I'm supporting a local B&M shop.

Grab what I want and I'm a happy camper right up until the image below, I have never seen this before, I called them thinking there was a mistake and according to "Kimmy" anything not wrapped in leaf, as in a cigar, is considered bulk and they charge an excise tax.

Has anyone else seen this at any other vendors? Needless to say I will not be placing any orders with them at anytime, ever.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 3.32.03 PM.png

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
When I buy from any online retailer located in my home state of Virginia there is a 20% excise tax added to the total, plus sales tax. From what I’ve gathered if a business does over a certain amount of business in a particular state the excise tax for that state is added to the total. Smoking Pipes charges me the Virginia state excise tax too. I’ve cut way back on purchases. Excise tax varies by state but you probably know all of this… but just in case.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
When I buy from any online retailer located in my home state of Virginia there is a 20% excise tax added to the total, plus sales tax. From what I’ve gathered if a business does over a certain amount of business in a particular state the excise tax for that state is added to the total. Smoking Pipes charges me the Virginia state excise tax too. I’ve cut way back on purchases. Excise tax varies by state but you probably know all of this… but just in case.

^^^^^^^
This right here, and it's the same in Maryland.

A few years back, some states started requiring that online vendors collect their states tobacco taxes for online purchases and give it to them. Before long, it will be every state that requires it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for the info, to say i was shocked would be an understatement. Shame they have a few tins i wanted, just not at those prices.

Reactions: MattRVA

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have never seen this before, paylesscigarsandpipes has a few tins I was going to grab, they are in Florida so even better as I'm supporting a local B&M shop.

Grab what I want and I'm a happy camper right up until the image below, I have never seen this before, I called them thinking there was a mistake and according to "Kimmy" anything not wrapped in leaf, as in a cigar, is considered bulk and they charge an excise tax.

Has anyone else seen this at any other vendors? Needless to say I will not be placing any orders with them at anytime, ever.

View attachment 157640
Payless is in FL. Looks like you are also from FL, so you have to pay the FL excise tax.

Reactions: garageboy and AJL67

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A few years back, some states started requiring that online vendors collect their states tobacco taxes for online purchases and give it to them. Before long, it will be every state that requires it.
Typically out of state vendors are only required to directly collect and remit sales and/or excise taxes once they pass a certain threshold of orders/revenue for customers from a particular state. Otherwise it's the customers responsibility for states that require their consumers pay taxes on out of state purchases.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The responsibility has always been on the buyer to pay sales and excise. It’s rarely paid since it would be a nightmare to enforce it. It is usually brought in large quantity cases involving bootleggers and smuggling.

Since the ruling in Wayfair, collection of taxes by vendors is now the rule rather than the exception.

How’s that old saying go…? Two things are certain-death and taxes.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
So it’s not just online? I’ve never bought a tin here either. Ouch.
I found a few tins of dunhill at edwards in tampa and they were 25-35 each. I bought a couple but I wont be buying anymore in state. Im trying to load up on my favorites before the rest of the online retailers start collecting... Wife hasnt been too happy but what can ya do?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So it’s not just online? I’ve never bought a tin here either. Ouch.
There is a site Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Tobacco and Pipe Accessories (Huge Selection, Best Prices) - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/ who sells a lot of stuff to the rest of the country. I contacted them once years ago and was told that if i went to their store near Tampa, I would have to pay the 85%. If I choose to they would have shipped me tobacco and only charge me the state sales tax at i think 6%. I didn't need anything really but was more curious about how they sold to Florida residents. My buddy Hoosierpipeguy did a lot of business with them and since his main home was Indiana, he had no tax issues.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon